I was wrong, I admit it... (Valentine One)

2ManyCars

:
2008 MS3 GT (SOLD)
A couple of weeks ago I debated the benefits of the Valentine over my Solo S2. I've had the S2 for a couple of years and it seemed to work great.

But I did a bunch of reading and was convinced by some of the folks on the threads. I got one a week ago and used it on my trip to/from Vegas this week. In short, the Valentine is amazing. I was picking up radar 2-3 miles away. The directional arrows and "bogey counter" are also very cool.

So I admit that I was wrong about the Valentine. But I'm still feeling great about my Mazdaspeed CAI (yea, I read the threads about the dealers) versus the SRI...:)

Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction...

I just got mine today and could not believe the lack of false alarms on my trip home knowing where the Passport 8500 would be going nuts for no reason.

Unfortunately this will just make me more "confident" in my brisk travel.

Damn, I always wanted one, but I kept pushing it out of my mind. Your post pushed it back in! Damn you!

I keep mine in "advanced logic" mode and it filters out like 90% of the crap...

i need to get one except they are illegal in VA. can the V1 be seen by a radar detector?

The V1 has very good invisibility to detection. I've noticed over the years that I actually get falsed by other people's cheap dirty radar detectors.

As far as fasle alarms, I guess I've been using mine for so long. I do notice it gets lots of falses. I got a laser false just tonight from the headlights of a Infinity Q56. I also get falses from my Samsing A900 when it loses signal. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't think that it's 100%. You still have to learn how it works and when it will false.

Do you have your V1 set to advanced logic? If it's in "all" mode it'll pick up every automatic door at a shopping mall...

i need to get one except they are illegal in VA. can the V1 be seen by a radar detector?

Yes, it can. Any receiving device has some amount of coupling from the local oscillator to the antenna, regardless of how good the mixer or front end is. There is no such thing as an "invisible" radar detector.

I drew a very basic diagram of a radar receiver (such as a radar detector) to illustrate what is happening. It's attached. All numbers are hypothetical.

edit: This is, consequently, why you cannot use an FM receiver on an airplane. FM receivers have a PLL-based local oscillator, and those are notorious for being very noisy and coupling to the receiving antenna. It's possible to cause EMI to the aircraft's systems. Some of the older NARCO aircraft radios will blank completely in the presence of an FM receiver.

Attachments

• BasicRadar.jpg
    BasicRadar.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I tested the V1 side by side to the passport 8500 and they worked nearly identical in all situations, however that was back when the V1 and 8500 were on top so its been a couple of years... So I assume theres been advancements with the V1 just like with all the other products...

I myself was happy with the quality of the 8500 (and couldnt beat the discount I got on it). I have to pick something up eventually and if its not a V1 (I seriously hate the size of it) then Ill probably pick up an 8500 x50 or better (Im not sold on the 9500i yet).

Yes, it can. Any receiving device has some amount of coupling from the local oscillator to the antenna, regardless of how good the mixer or front end is. There is no such thing as an "invisible" radar detector.

I drew a very basic diagram of a radar receiver (such as a radar detector) to illustrate what is happening. It's attached. All numbers are hypothetical.

edit: This is, consequently, why you cannot use an FM receiver on an airplane. FM receivers have a PLL-based local oscillator, and those are notorious for being very noisy and coupling to the receiving antenna. It's possible to cause EMI to the aircraft's systems. Some of the older NARCO aircraft radios will blank completely in the presence of an FM receiver.

Are you an AME or avionics tech? I'm a pilot so that's why I ask...

Are you an AME or avionics tech? I'm a pilot so that's why I ask...

I'm a Pilot (PP-ASEL) and an Electrical Engineer for the Process Controls division of Honeywell (which also happens to be a huge avionics company). I have also been an RF and Radar designer, and did all of my graduate work on Radar Signature Analysis (Big, Scary Equations hehe)...

Where do you fly out of?

I fly out of Calgary Intl. I just got a job with Sunwest Aviation here, hoping to grab left seat on a Navajo or Metro pretty quick. After that it's onto the King Air and then probably up to a Challenger or something. I need to get my pulti PIC and turbine time up first...

Nice to meet a fellow pilot on here!

Anyway, threadjack over. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I just looked at Valentine's site for the first time and read a little bit about the product.

First of all, from outward appearances, it is simply a pair of receivers, one aimed front, one aimed back, and it determines side-presence by looking at the ratio of power received through the front antenna and the power received through the rear antenna.

In other words, if the radar from the front is much stronger than the radar from the back, it determines the radar is ahead. Vice versa for behind. If the power received is similar, it determines the radar source is off to the side.

Determining how many radars are in the field of view is a simple matter of counting the number of different power ratios being received.

Most target-acquisition radar is pulsed, and the pulse width and rate are chosen to established the minimum and maximum range of the radar (yes, there is a minimum). False alarms like other detectors and door openers are usually continuous wave, so again, it's pretty easy to filter those out because it's simply an unmodulated carrier that any good Finite Impulse Response filter can be programmed to remove.

I doubt there's a processor in this thing that is fast enough to actually identify the signature of the incident radar (pulse width, type, train length, etc). That would cost a fortune and require a lot of power.

Anyway, radar detector technology is not all that sophisticated in general.

One thing he claims on his site that disturbs me (because it is blatantly untrue) is that radar is "completely blocked by solid objects." This is completely false. Any solid object that is NOT a perfect electric conductor, or close to it, is going to allow the radar signal to pass through it to a significant degree. Even perfect electric conducting targets will scatter incident radiation in all directions.

I think it is wise to consider that, even though there might be a hill or a grove of trees between you and the radar, it may still be possible for the radar to pick you up - especially if you are the lone target.

No radar system that has a single transmitter and a single receiver co-located and non-sweeping can discern and positively identify multiple targets. At best, the officer will see more than one speed, but the radar unit will not be able to tell him/her which speed goes with which target. The better radar units will give signal strength for each target, so if there's a tractor trailer and a VW rabbit in the field of view, the officer can manually see that the stronger signal goes with the big truck and the smaller one with the rabbit - *IF* he can prove the truck has a larger radar cross section than the rabbit (this cannot be simply assumed). I doubt any officer comes to court prepared to offer proof that any one vehicle has a larger or smaller RCS than another.

So, never forget, if you are in a crowd of cars and the cop is using radar, it is unlikely to the point of near impossibility that s/he was able to positively identify YOUR vehicle as the target displayed on his radar.

It is unfortunate that most traffic courts are just kangaroo courts is because governments have exploited the ignorances of the populace in order to hand down bad justice in exchange for money. An authority will spend an infinite amount of taxpayer money to convict you on a bogus ticket, so unfortunately you must also be willing to spend an infinite amount of your own money to obtain real justice.

Also, higher courts have repeatedly upheld "blanket, dumb radar" as valid simply because a) the judges don't know any better themselves and b) there is not enough willingness on the part of The People to mount an affirmative defense.

Oh well, end of tirade... :)

Where is the best place to get a V1 and how much are you guys paying?

Technically, I think you have to buy directly from them. I don't think they have any resellers. I tried to buy an extra power cord for my second one and they had to make sure that I was the registered owner of the device.

Back