I dumped my CX-5 finally

You are correct, it is state dependent. There is a cap in my state.

But the larger point is...
You shouldn't state that you purchased a vehicle for "invoice", but neglect to include dealer fees, which are pure dealer profit.

It is disingenuous to say "I bought a CX-5 for $2000 under invoice," yet fail to disclose that you paid a $3000 "doc" fee.

You're right. I've led many astray.

You're right. I've led many astray.

LMFAO Uno 😁

For gods sake, who cares bluegrass? Hes happy. Dont you have anything else better to do than bash this guy relentlessly? He got a good price on his new ride, didnt want to drive something that was boring to him, and hes free and clear of any repairs he might face for a really long time. End of story lol!

I can relate with the boring car trade in, but thankfully I was right side up a few grand. I had a 2014 Corolla that was super fuel efficient and practical for my 50 mile round trip commute. But MY GOD was it boring to drive. The CVT and electronic power steering stole any feeling of driving out of that car. Traded it in for an Odyssey that my wife really wanted for her and the kids to short trip around town. Took the 2013 CX5 and my drive is bearable again. Riding higher, smoother, and with fairly good gas mileage still.

Typically you don't have the option to finance a $2400 repair at 3.24% for 72mo...
By "narrow timeframe", are you referring to the 10 year and 150K mile bumper to bumper warranty I have, vs. the 3/36 bumper to bumper that your car came with? That definition of "narrow" is darn near Biblical!

But you are missing a critical point...
Instead of dumping $2400 ($2700 after interest) into an extended warranty, that you will in all likelihood never fully recoup, you put that money in the bank and earn interest for you.

So there is NO NEED to finance that $2400 repair, because you now have over $3000 in the bank, and you just pay for it outright.

Brother, hes intelligent. In his experience, he feels hes going to need more in repairs than what he paid for the extended warranty. If he doesnt, he had the peace of mind and self-admitted luxury of the extended warranty. Luxury. His words and description lol. Horse dead and beaten 😂

Last edited:
Brother, he*s intelligent. In his experience, he feels he*s going to need more in repairs than what he paid for the extended warranty. If he doesn*t, he had the piece of mind and self-admitted luxury of the extended warranty. Luxury. His words and description lol. Horse dead and beaten ��

Yep, exactly.

At the end of the day, this car (for now) brings more happiness to him. I won't fault him for that. No need to keep beating him over the head with it.

Seriously Uno, enjoy the new ride and look forward to hearing how it progresses.

But you are missing a critical point...
Instead of dumping $2400 ($2700 after interest) into an extended warranty, that you will in all likelihood never fully recoup, you put that money in the bank and earn interest for you.

So there is NO NEED to finance that $2400 repair, because you now have over $3000 in the bank, and you just pay for it outright.

Geez, once you've made up your mind about something, there's no changing it, is there? Lol. I explained my stance on warranties; they make sense to me. If they don't make sense to you, that's fine, but don't tell me I'm wrong in investing in a little peace of mind.

The way I see it, you're gambling either way. As you and so many others have put it, if you buy the warranty, you're placing a $2400 bet against yourself that the car will require enough repairs to cover the cost. If you don't take the warranty, you're still rolling the dice and hoping that any repairs required don't exceed the $2400 (or $3k with interest) price of the warranty. As I mentioned before, you can DIY to keep the repair cost under $2400, but for me, the 2-3 hours of quality time I get to spend with my family is worth more than the money saved on a 2-3 hour DIY repair in the garage.

YMMV.

Don't worry about unob. He loves to argue. He's just getting a little taste of his own medicine. It's the Golden Rule.

Why do I all of a sudden feel nervous about not purchasing an extended warranty? (eek) I've purchased about 15 new vehicles in my lifetime. I've purchased an extended warranty on each and ever one of those, except on the CX-5. I've broken even on one, our old 2010 CR-V, which required an A/C compressor replacement at 7.5 years. Honda actually extended that warranty on that to 7 years, so I may have gotten lucky without the warranty.

That said, I totally understand why people buy them for peace of mind. I kept doing it. At this stage of my life, I can finally say I don't worry about that kind of expense. I no longer live paycheck to paycheck. Do what makes you feel good. It's your life!

Geez, once you've made up your mind about something, there's no changing it, is there? Lol. I explained my stance on warranties; they make sense to me. If they don't make sense to you, that's fine, but don't tell me I'm wrong in investing in a little peace of mind.

The way I see it, you're gambling either way. As you and so many others have put it, if you buy the warranty, you're placing a $2400 bet against yourself that the car will require enough repairs to cover the cost. If you don't take the warranty, you're still rolling the dice and hoping that any repairs required don't exceed the $2400 (or $3k with interest) price of the warranty. As I mentioned before, you can DIY to keep the repair cost under $2400, but for me, the 2-3 hours of quality time I get to spend with my family is worth more than the money saved on a 2-3 hour DIY repair in the garage.

YMMV.

That heater core cost one of our members about 14 hours of work time.

What happened with the HVAC unit?
It was a couple of bars on fan speed LCD display failed to be lit up and the whole HVAC control panel needs to be replaced. It cost ~$1,000 on parts only, and I was lucky as I just noticed that a couple of days before I brought my CX-5 in for final warranty service.

It was a couple of bars on fan speed LCD display failed to be lit up and the whole HVAC control panel needs to be replaced. It cost ~$1,000 on parts only, and I was lucky as I just noticed that a couple of days before I brought my CX-5 in for final warranty service.

Yup. The last few vehicles I had before this, I traded at 140-150K miles. One had an AC compressor die at around the 100K mark or so, +-15K. When I traded it, the dealer later told me it cost them around $1000 to fix it or so. My other one blew the transmission at 115K.

These LED headlights move when I turn the wheel, and we all know what BSM sensors cost, and this thing has a ton of things like that.

I can't believe people would buy a top trim model without protecting those parts for the life of the vehicle, as even a DIY fix will be $$$$.

Back