I dumped my CX-5 finally

I think your dealer quoted you a new fuel pump- fuel pressure regulator is a 300ish dollar job done per what I saw- fuel pump is the big one you def don't want..not that it matters now but just sayin- maybe not quite as good a deal as it appeared. Yeah long term car loans make me want to (puke) but you did get a good rate.

Good point! Another thing to consider is the cost savings from repairing things, yourself. An EBCM unit in my Corvette died one day. It controls ABS, Active Handling, and some other safety-related tasks. The dealership would've charged me $1500 to replace it but while spending 10 minutes in the Corvette forum, I discovered that removing the unit was not difficult at all. After I removed it, I sent it in to ABS Fixer to have it repaired with a lifetime warranty. The cost was $150. If the dealership had replaced the unit, the same component that had failed in the old unit would most likely fail in the new unit, as well.

Good point! Another thing to consider is the cost savings from repairing things, yourself. An EBCM unit in my Corvette died one day. It controls ABS, Active Handling, and some other safety-related tasks. The dealership would've charged me $1500 to replace it but while spending 10 minutes in the Corvette forum, I discovered that removing the unit was not difficult at all. After I removed it, I sent it in to ABS Fixer to have it repaired with a lifetime warranty. The cost was $150. If the dealership had replaced the unit, the same component that had failed in the old unit would most likely fail in the new unit, as well.
Yep...I fixed my AT shifter switch for $50. Would have been probably $200-$300 at dealer.

Hell...how about spark plug change. Hundreds at dealer or $50 to diy.

Geez, Uno buys a car and it's a 9-page affair lol. Guess it makes sense since he was such a rainy cloud over the Gen 2 initially.

Congrats on your purchase Uno. I hope to replace my 16.5 GT with a turbo model someday.

This has been a most interesting thread, watching members reveal who they are. [emoji897]

Felicitation's Uno!
(OT: I've always thought "Congratulations" was an odd thing to say ..when someone buys something. Congratulations! You can afford a car! Huh? Anyway...)
Now that I've picked my jaw up off the floor. I can't believe the frugal one that had better things to spend money on then a car....bought a car over a $1,200 repair. I guess I'm stuck with you for another 6 years? :(

Thought you'd be leaving for Toyota town in 3 years or so.
I do hope your warranty pays off for you. That'll be one time I'd be happy to see you say "I told you so".
Good luck, brother.

Cant we all just agree that extended warranties are kinda like sports betting? The terms are essentially designed to break-even. If they weighed heavy in favor of the manufacturer, they wouldnt sell, and vice versa. Regardless of where you place your bet, your odds of saving/losing money are pretty darn close.

The only thing up for debate is whether the terms of a given EW are predatorial (I.e. ridiculous terms targeting ignorant customers). Unobs deal clearly is not.

Just to share a similar story with my Nissan Pathfinder: After about 10 years or so, a common problem with these things is the failure of the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve).
The engine dies (won't idle anymore) but worse, the failed IACV also takes out a component on the ECM. This happened to mine.
Dealer cost is $1,400 for a new ECM, $400 for an IACV, plus labour.
Like you, I learned on a Nissan forum how to remove the ECM, and send it out for repairs (cost was like yours: $150).
Still had to buy a new IACV, but they can be had at parts stores for half the price.
An hour or two in the driveway, and the truck was fixed.
The biggest PITA was doing what's called an idle relearn. The repaired ECM and new IACV have to get in sync with each other, and it's a convoluted procedure.
All this to say that if you're mechanically inclined and interested in this stuff, you can save a lot of cash on repairs over the life of your vehicle.

Just to share a similar story with my Nissan Pathfinder: After about 10 years or so, a common problem with these things is the failure of the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve).
The engine dies (won't idle anymore) but worse, the failed IACV also takes out a component on the ECM. This happened to mine.
Dealer cost is $1,400 for a new ECM, $400 for an IACV, plus labour.
Like you, I learned on a Nissan forum how to remove the ECM, and send it out for repairs (cost was like yours: $150).
Still had to buy a new IACV, but they can be had at parts stores for half the price.
An hour or two in the driveway, and the truck was fixed.
The biggest PITA was doing what's called an idle relearn. The repaired ECM and new IACV have to get in sync with each other, and it's a convoluted procedure.
All this to say that if you're mechanically inclined and interested in this stuff, you can save a lot of cash on repairs over the life of your vehicle.

It comes down to convenience, as well, for me. If I can possibly get to the dealer (tow truck included in warranty...), I can get a loaner and let them suss out the issues in their due time. That means I can still get to work, etc. A few shifts that I go to vs. not, and my warranty is paid for. Even forgetting the parts/labor aspect.

Also, I did all that stuff in highschool, college, and my first few years. I don't really find pleasure in it.

-Did my own clutch hydraulics on the WS.6
-Did my own shocks on my P71 Crown Vic
-Did my own PCM change on my Jeep
-Did my own water pump on my Mustang GT (2 or 3 times...)
-Did my own window motor gear fix on my 1995 Trans Am
-Did my own valve cover gasket on my G20
-Did my own ignition switch on my G20
-Did my own oil changes for years
-Other stuff I've forgotten, including tuning IAC's, FP regulators, and all sorts of stuff with intake/ignition/exhaust systems

I simply view having someone else do this for me as just another form of luxury, like cooled seats or a NAV system. Is it necessary? Will it save money to 86 it? Okay...but luxuries are nice, or we wouldn't even be on this forum. We'd be on the 1980's Subaru forum figuring out how to keep our "bare necessities" running. Because buying a 20 year old Subaru or something is the ultimate cash-saving move. $1500 out the door, $1500 in parts, and it's G2G for a long time for $3K and some of your time, AND you can use liability insurance only on it then, too, etc. But we all must agree that SOMEWHERE, each person will draw their own line of "diminishing returns" and "level of satiety", per my econ 101 professor some decade and a half ago.

Last edited:
Turbo been in the CX-9 for years hasn't it?
Since 2016..problems past the 60k mile mark are yet to be seen, if any.
Actually I'd seen reports on issues with EGR and turbo where the guy who is very knowledgeable taking apart problem area and found Mazda has used some cheap components in there. Not sure if Mazda has corrected the problem and sorry I couldn't find the link at this time.

Actually I'd seen reports on issues with EGR and turbo where the guy who is very knowledgeable taking apart problem area and found Mazda has used some cheap components in there. Not sure if Mazda has corrected the problem and sorry I couldn't find the link at this time.

I think I remember seeing something like that. There was a photo of a small crack in one of the flanges in the manifold or turbo inlets or something.

I also recall seeing a report that stated that the cracking was a non-issue. Not sure about the validity of that, I'm kind of skeptical when something cracks and they say it's normal, but on the other hand, nobody has reported any major mechanical engine or turbo issues. While the engine/turbo have been around for a few years, there aren't any high-mileage examples and the engine isn't used in enough vehicles, only the 2016+ CX-9, 2018+ Mazda 6 GT Reserve and Signature, and 2019 Mazda CX-5 GT Reserve and Signature. Verdict is still out on this engine, but so far so good.

It comes down to convenience, as well, for me. If I can possibly get to the dealer (tow truck included in warranty...), I can get a loaner and let them suss out the issues in their due time. That means I can still get to work, etc. A few shifts that I go to vs. not, and my warranty is paid for. Even forgetting the parts/labor aspect.

Also, I did all that stuff in highschool, college, and my first few years. I don't really find pleasure in it.

-Did my own clutch hydraulics on the WS.6
-Did my own shocks on my P71 Crown Vic
-Did my own PCM change on my Jeep
-Did my own water pump on my Mustang GT (2 or 3 times...)
-Did my own window motor gear fix on my 1995 Trans Am
-Did my own valve cover gasket on my G20
-Did my own ignition switch on my G20
-Did my own oil changes for years
-Other stuff I've forgotten, including tuning IAC's, FP regulators, and all sorts of stuff with intake/ignition/exhaust systems

I simply view having someone else do this for me as just another form of luxury, like cooled seats or a NAV system. Is it necessary? Will it save money to 86 it? Okay...but luxuries are nice, or we wouldn't even be on this forum. We'd be on the 1980's Subaru forum figuring out how to keep our "bare necessities" running. Because buying a 20 year old Subaru or something is the ultimate cash-saving move. $1500 out the door, $1500 in parts, and it's G2G for a long time for $3K and some of your time, AND you can use liability insurance only on it then, too, etc. But we all must agree that SOMEWHERE, each person will draw their own line of "diminishing returns" and "level of satiety", per my econ 101 professor some decade and a half ago.

Exactly! For me, the money was a non-issue. Everybody laments about how you "wasted" your hard earned cash. News Flash: It's not about them! Who cares (I certainly don't) about what you think about how I spend my money. If you want to feel smarter about your financial decisions, so be it. Getting to the convenience factor, I work a lot of crazy hours anymore and do not care to spend more time trouble shooting my vehicle. I had mechanical training years ago and am just not into it anymore. I would rather spend the remaining time in my day with my grand kids. So, sometime down the road when there's a problem I can just drop it off at the dealer and say "Here, let me know when you're done". If the wife calls up some day and says there's a problem with the Mazda, I'll just say let the dealer handle it. End of story.

Last edited:
Exactly! For me, the money was a non-issue. Everybody laments about how you "wasted" your hard earned cash. News Flash: It's not about them! Who cares (I certainly don't) about what you think about how I spend my money.

And that's fine but we're talking to a guy who in the past kind of lorded it over us about how much smarter he was not wasting money on stuff and how there's so much more important stuff to spend money on then cars, like land and... stuff.
So yea, he's going to get a little crap from his 'friends'. ;)

It's not a waste of money if the peace of mind factor is that important. There's value in that. From a purely financial point of view, the purchase may not make sense, but if the buyer is happy, that's what it's all about.

And that's fine but we're talking to a guy who in the past kind of lorded it over us about how much smarter he was not wasting money on stuff and how there's so much more important stuff to spend money on then cars, like land and... stuff.
So yea, he's going to get a little crap from his 'friends'. ;)

True, but the land is bought, my house is in good repair. My bills are paid. Why not address a fun vehicle?

I wonder how many people would take delivery of a brand new Mazda if say at the last minute of the deal, the salesman says "look, I'll take an additional $1500 off if you waive the factory warranty". If they're so believing the reliability of this brand, would they forego the warranty altogether for a discount?
I might consider this $1,500 discount at the time I purchased the CX-5 in February 2015 as the reliability rating on Mazda from Consumer Reports had been good at #4 for 2 consecutive years. Since then the rating dropped like the rock to #6 and to #12 in the following years. Although Mazda brand reliability rating from CR is back to #3 this year, but it's this inconsistency of the reliability bothering me.

As my own experience looking back, I'd be very glad I didn't take this $1,500 discount to waive the new-car warranty. I took my CX-5 in during the week before the new-car warranty would expire. There're 10 items on long repair and replacement list, both LED headlights、both rear disc pads / rotors and calipers、entire HVAC control unit (due to partial fade-out LCD display)、both 9" Bose front door woofers、both A-pillar covers、etc. and 3 recalls. Total bill if they're not covered under warranty? $5,000+ !!! (eek2)

I know it's impossible for you to admit you may have been wrong about something. Don't think I've ever seen you admit it even once.

Let me FTFY:
Yea, I know I did come off like Mr. Frugal, but hey I've kind of fallen for the Mazda. My house is in order and my other stuff, too, so why the heck not? Ok, ok, I admit it... maybe you guys were right... it's worth a few more bucks to not drive a car I consider boring appliance. You specifically were right 7eregrine: life's too damn short to drive something I don't love.
LOL
:D

This whole discussion makes me think of the new Subaru commercial " 2019 Subaru Forester, the safest and most reliable Forester ever!"
Say what? How can a 2019 be most reliable? It's a 2019, only a few months old!

Via 7eregrine:
Unobtanium said:
Yea, I know I did come off like Mr. Frugal, but hey I've kind of fallen for the Mazda. My house is in order and my other stuff, too, so why the heck not? Ok, ok, I admit it... maybe you guys were right... it's worth a few more bucks to not drive a car I consider boring appliance. You specifically were right 7eregrine: life's too damn short to drive something I don't love.

Lol! Had to chuckle at this.

Back