HVAC Controls

Open/Close Dial Control on Center Dash Vents

Its a safety issue and I think regulations require some airflow. This is especially important if the rear door is not sealing properly or left open as engine exhaust will flow back into the vehicle. Ever notice how quickly the rear door gets dirty? The road dirt/exhaust naturally flows back against the rear.
Both VW Passat and BMW 528i of ours have this open/close dial control on center dash vents. This should mean there's no different regulation in the US.

There're many vehicles in the US offer one-touch auto up-down on all windows, and one-touch open/close on moonroof. My 2001.5 VW Passat has them, and my 2000 BMW 528i has them too. 2017 Honda CR-V in the US offers this feature on front passenger window and moonroof. If you notice, 2017 CX-5 also have one-touch open moonroof. It's cost issue more than others as an anti-pinch device controlled by a module is used for this feature. Each window motor and moonroof motor has a pressure sensor that monitors window's movement. This effectively eliminates the possibility of injury to a person or damage to the power window or moonroof system.
We know what VW feels about rule compliance 😀

It would be an interesting exercise to see if window motor part numbers are the same in both regions.

Also with your Germans, is the auto up only from the buttons or also from the remote key fob. That's the one I miss the most in the US. Closing the windows from the key fob when you realise one was left open accidentally.

Last edited:
One-Touch Auto Up/Down Power Windows

We know what VW feels about rule compliance 😀

It would be an interesting exercise to see if window motor part numbers are the same in both regions.
Actually you'll find all luxury vehicles in the US are having this one-touch auto up/down power windows at four corners and the moonroof. And since the cost of convert to this feature is high as too many components are involved hence so far nobody is willing to do the mod or had successfully converted. Yes the motor would be different.

Man, we are spoiled! :D

20121107-222250.jpg

There're many vehicles in the US offer one-touch auto up-down on all windows, and one-touch open/close on moonroof. My 2001.5 VW Passat has them, and my 2000 BMW 528i has them too. 2017 Honda CR-V in the US offers this feature on front passenger window and moonroof. If you notice, 2017 CX-5 also have one-touch open moonroof. It's cost issue more than others as an anti-pinch device controlled by a module is used for this feature. Each window motor and moonroof motor has a pressure sensor that monitors window's movement. This effectively eliminates the possibility of injury to a person or damage to the power window or moonroof system.

My 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagan had one touch open/close on ALL the windows, including the pano sunroof and sunshade.

My 2016 Mazda6 has one-touch window controls. Including sunroof. Perhaps you can plug and play modules/relays into the CX-5.

Man, we are spoiled! :D

20121107-222250.jpg
Yep, many years ago we specifically wanted all manually operated VW Jetta GLI - manual windows、manual lock、manual sunroof、and manual transmission! I trust those mechanical operations than electrical especially on German vehicles. But those days are long gone! :)

My 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagan had one touch open/close on ALL the windows, including the pano sunroof and sunshade.
My older VW Passat can do all open/close on all windows and moonroof with the key in the keyhole on the door. Not sure if I can do it with remote from the key fob.

My 2016 Mazda6 has one-touch window controls. Including sunroof. Perhaps you can plug and play modules/relays into the CX-5.
I do notice Mazda6 has many nice feathers where our CX-5 lacks! Additional dash tweeters on Bose、door on small left storage box、protective cove on dead pedal、glove compartment light、LED interior lights、rear AC vents、and I can go on and on.

But many had asked before on this mod to covert our CX-5 to one-touch auto up/down to all windows and moonroof. But nobody had actually done it. I guess once they found out how many parts are needed to replace, the cost has become too high. Not to mention the re-programming on certain modules by Mazda dealer may also be necessary too.

Like memory seat and power folding outside mirrors, this one-touch open/close on all windows/moonroof the best are coming from factory.

I do notice Mazda6 has many nice feathers where our CX-5 lacks! Additional dash tweeters on Bose、door on small left storage box、protective cove on dead pedal、glove compartment light、LED interior lights、rear AC vents、and I can go on and on.

But many had asked before on this mod to covert our CX-5 to one-touch auto up/down to all windows and moonroof. But nobody had actually done it. I guess once they found out how many parts are needed to replace, the cost has become too high. Not to mention the re-programming on certain modules by Mazda dealer may also be necessary too.

Like memory seat and power folding outside mirrors, this one-touch open/close on all windows/moonroof the best are coming from factory.

1 module for 4 windows. $20. https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10682_Omega-AU-93-4.html

Have a pro install it. Boom one-touch windows all 4 corners. My understanding is it works in conjunction with aftermarket alarm remotes. Not sure with OEM key fobs. But should work in conjunction with master control switches on driver side.

This 1 module for 2 Windows. $50. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:

1 module for 4 windows. $20. https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10682_Omega-AU-93-4.html

Have a pro install it. Boom one-touch windows all 4 corners. My understanding is it works in conjunction with aftermarket alarm remotes. Not sure with OEM key fobs. But should work in conjunction with master control switches on driver side.

This 1 module for 2 Windows. $50. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Yeah, this's one-touch open/close kit but without any safety features like anti-pinch device and pressure-sensing motor. They can't apply to moonroof either. :)

Yeah, this's one-touch open/close kit but without any safety features like anti-pinch device and pressure-sensing motor. They can't apply to moonroof either. :)

A good decade ago I was at this club in Pacific Beach (San Diego). Anyways there was this really hot chick and I was asking her for the digits. AKA the phone number and she rolled the window up on me. No anti-pinch on her windows :( Embarrassing to say the least. Walked back into the club like nothing even happened.

My older VW Passat can do all open/close on all windows and moonroof with the key in the keyhole on the door. Not sure if I can do it with remote from the key fob.

From the factory the fob could close all the windows and the sunroof on the VW. Using an interface cable (VCDS) and a laptop it was possible to make a couple of changes to the setup and then you could open and close everything using the fob.

From the factory the fob could close all the windows and the sunroof on the VW. Using an interface cable (VCDS) and a laptop it was possible to make a couple of changes to the setup and then you could open and close everything using the fob.
Ross-Tech VAG-COM VCDS cable and software? I didn't buy it as it costs at least $200!

Ross-Tech VAG-COM VCDS cable and software? I didn't buy it as it costs at least $200!

Yes, Ross-Tech. The interface was $250 but it was well worth that price. It paid for itself when I had a wheel bearing go out. I sold the interface when I sold the Jetta back to VW. I lost $100 on the interface but as I said, it already paid for itself.

Yes, Ross-Tech. The interface was $250 but it was well worth that price. It paid for itself when I had a wheel bearing go out. I sold the interface when I sold the Jetta back to VW. I lost $100 on the interface but as I said, it already paid for itself.
Wait, how does Ross-Tech OBD2 interface detect a bad wheel bearing? Yeah if you have a VW this VAG-COM VCDS is very useful! Not to mention you can change the setups without paying VW dealers to do it. We've a local Passat guy who can do all kind of VW work, including expensive timing belt replacement on 2.8L V6, but charges a very fair price. Several PassatWorld forum members bought him a Ross-Tech VAG-COM VCDS so that if we need something just let him do it. :)

Wait, how does Ross-Tech OBD2 interface detect a bad wheel bearing? Yeah if you have a VW this VAG-COM VCDS is very useful! Not to mention you can change the setups without paying VW dealers to do it. We've a local Passat guy who can do all kind of VW work, including expensive timing belt replacement on 2.8L V6, but charges a very fair price. Several PassatWorld forum members bought him a Ross-Tech VAG-COM VCDS so that if we need something just let him do it. :)

VCDS didn't actually alert me to the wheel bearing going bad. The dash on the VW lit up like a Christmas tree one day with TPMS, ABS, and several other related warnings. I connected the VCDS up and ran a diagnostic. The test told me that there was an issue with the data coming from the right rear speed sensor. At first I thought that it was the speed sensor and I replaced that. No luck. Using VCDS to graph the data coming from all four speed sensors while I drove the car allowed me to actually see the data dropping out from the suspect sensor. I replaced that wheel bearing (the speed sensor gets its data from a magnetic ring integrated into the bearing assembly) and all was well.

If you'd like to read more about this, here's the thread I started at the TDI Club forum when I had the issue.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=451157

VCDS didn't actually alert me to the wheel bearing going bad. The dash on the VW lit up like a Christmas tree one day with TPMS, ABS, and several other related warnings. I connected the VCDS up and ran a diagnostic. The test told me that there was an issue with the data coming from the right rear speed sensor. At first I thought that it was the speed sensor and I replaced that. No luck. Using VCDS to graph the data coming from all four speed sensors while I drove the car allowed me to actually see the data dropping out from the suspect sensor. I replaced that wheel bearing (the speed sensor gets its data from a magnetic ring integrated into the bearing assembly) and all was well.

If you'd like to read more about this, here's the thread I started at the TDI Club forum when I had the issue.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=451157
Very interesting and thanks for the explanation! I wonder if there's a magnetic ring integrated into the wheel bearing assembly on our CX-5? The design should be similar though.

Very interesting and thanks for the explanation! I wonder if there's a magnetic ring integrated into the wheel bearing assembly on our CX-5? The design should be similar though.

My understanding is that most cars these days do use the integrated magnetic ring for speed sensor data. They used to use what's called a tone ring.

They are on CX5s outside of the USA!!!

(shrug)

mazda-cx-5-dashboard-layout-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqA7N2CxnJWnYI3tCbVBgu9WVLDaeaWzlxIQpTU2T6YjQ.jpg

I'd guess typical cost-cutting, but you'd think it would actually cost more to source, warehouse and install 2 different dash vent pieces.

And look... 4 illuminated window switches!!!

(bang)

Despite left and right hand drive differences, it would seam less expensive to order the same switches than to inventory lighted and not lighted ones?

Latest posts

Back