HUD: Is it worth it?

JMG

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT with Premium Package Machine Gray
I plan on purchasing a 2017 CX-5 GT in a few weeks. The only option of the premium package that I'm interested in is the HUD. Do those who have it or test drove with it think it is worth the price, $1800?!

I would say if you can, do it. I drive on the autobahn, and the less I look away from the road the better.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

I will say yes, I didn't get it and now little bit regret

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

1800 for a redundant feature? Hell NO! If that's the only feature you want out of that package why spend so much money on it. That's like what, 5 extra car payments? All for a light on your windshield. Save your money.

[emoji106] I agree. A waste of money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Waste. HUD is cool but honestly the actual movement with looking down at your speedometer is so minuscule, it's not worth that kind of cash.

It's a personal choice, and one that i didn't consider a huge issue. Fully loaded does well for resale, even when it's 8years old

I've said this before, try using hindsight now. Get HUD now so you don't regret not having it later. The extra amount is not that great really.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The only time I look at the dash is the trip computer. Since I installed the the speedo app in my infotainment I rarely look at the dash anymore except how much fuel is left in the tank.

I test drove a 2016 CX-3 GT with HUD. On the CX-3, HUD comes as standard equipment with the GT trim level and is not an extra cost option. I havent driven a 2017 CX-5 GT with the premium package. I assume it has the same type of HUD display as the CX-3.

HUD: Is it worth it? To me, its not. Personally, I didnt like the speed being displayed on the windshield right in front of me and all the time. Im planning on getting a 2018 Touring model and Im glad HUD isnt available on the Touring model. Maybe fighter pilots need HUD but car drivers? Its redundant and unnecessary if you ask me.

In addition, I dont think you can turn off the windshield speed projection and you cant adjust where on the windshield you want the speed to be displayed. The premium package includes other features besides the HUD. Drive one and evaluate HUD yourself. Consider the other features as well and whether $1800 is worth it to you.

Is it possible to see it yourself before deciding?

Of course it's possible. Take one for a test drive

I did and I loved it floating towards the end of the bonnet. It's displayed information is not that large in terms of size and doesn't distract.. it didn't for me.

You can adjust the height of the information I believe.

at my first oil change on my 2016.5 I had time and it was slow at the dealer, so the sales rep asked me if I wanted a joy ride in the new 2017. I said sure and off we went. I have to say I did not think I would like the HUD, but I did, a lot.! They asked me if I wanted to trade in my 5K mile 2016.5 for the 2017. We looked at numbers and I just could not justify the price they were offering for trade ect.. If they had a better deal, I would have done it..

But go drive it and see "SEE" it for your self.

I test drove a 2016 CX-3 GT with HUD. On the CX-3, HUD comes as standard equipment with the GT trim level and is not an extra cost option. I havent driven a 2017 CX-5 GT with the premium package. I assume it has the same type of HUD display as the CX-3.

HUD: Is it worth it? To me, its not. Personally, I didnt like the speed being displayed on the windshield right in front of me and all the time. Im planning on getting a 2018 Touring model and Im glad HUD isnt available on the Touring model. Maybe fighter pilots need HUD but car drivers? Its redundant and unnecessary if you ask me.

In addition, I dont think you can turn off the windshield speed projection and you cant adjust where on the windshield you want the speed to be displayed. The premium package includes other features besides the HUD. Drive one and evaluate HUD yourself. Consider the other features as well and whether $1800 is worth it to you.

2016 CX-3 doesn't have the windshield projected HUD does it? If it's that pop-up screen, it's very very different!
Some other incorrect statements... you can adjust height and rotation of the display (to a certain degree), and you can definitely turn it off if you want.

Overall, it's one of those things that you don't realize how much you want it until you've tried it. Smartphone apps aren't the same. Screen apps aren't the same. The way it integrates with navigation and the blind spot monitors is fantastic... it's a safety feature as much as anything too. Being able to see important information in your field of view is fantastic.

Agreed. HUD is like Xeon or LEDs from Halogens. They don't matter until you have them..

Hud is height adjustable and tied to memory. Wife doesn't like it so I put it all the way down for her seat memory. You could shut it off completely but not selectively exclude speed.

I have grown to like it a lot. As to whether to get it is up to you. You do get other things with the premium package besides the HUD. Passenger powered seat, rear seat heat, wiper deicer, memory driver seat, and heated steering wheel.

Back