How To: Retrofit your Mazda2

Humm.. Hot glue will be heat by the HID... Not sure if it will resist to the heat!

Ryno, have you done a retrofit too? For all the discussion here, I've hardly seen any detailed photos of *anyone* who has retrofitted aside from the OP here, and Unzip who is MIA ^_^. I've been trying to muster the confidence to open up the headlights, but I'm just not there yet...

Yes did my Brother in laws Tacoma so I could cut my teeth. I would suggest getting all the tools needed and stuff you may need as you will be running all over the world if not. It was not hard you just have to be brave and patient..

Oh and definately dont touch glass especially when hot. There are clips and butyl that hold it together thats all hairdryer was what we used.

Oops! 0_o

Rubber butyl sealant best $20 spent it will save hundreds! Get a roll from a dealer.

He used hot glue for the shrouds not to resealed the headlights :p

Butyl is really messy. To glue the shrouds I've used Epoxy. No problem until now. My install have gone from temperature like -30 to +30 celsius so I don't think I'll ever had problem with it

Ohhhh. Much better, I missed that.:eek:
Still think hot glue on shroud has to low a melting point may cause problems.

Last edited:
I never had any issues with my shrouds NOT being glued on (just press fit them--they were tight), until I shipped the headlights to someone via fedex. Don't ask me how the lights survived Ohio roads for almost 30k miles but one trip to MO dislodged both the shrouds.... They had to have thrown or kicked the box is my guess. It was a month and a half long ordeal and I think I talked to 30 people, no one had a clue at Fedex.

Anyways, I'd glue em.... lol. Just in case.

how'd i miss this thread? Very nice!!

i now use a quick set clear epoxy to attach the shrouds .I've had them fall off on other peoples cars as well

I'm glad to see more guys going the retrofit route instead of PnP's. I can't wait to retrofit my 3 once I get the money. Right now I'm running H9's in place of the H11's for low beam and Philips 9011 HIR1's for the high beam in place of the 9005's. Hopefully the Mini D2S 3.0's will be out by the time I'm ready and they will be an option along with the Mini H1's in the QuickRetro kit offered by TRS. Happy retrofitting!

Yeah you're right. Not the best option..

oddly enough I used 3m double sided sticky tape to tape the shrouds to the headlights lol.

Since my first post of having them installed I've hit 110 Degrees F with the car sitting idle for 8+ hours in the sun, and driving in 110 degree weather *knock on wood* no problems so far. It also gets to about 45-55 degrees at night in my area and my car is parked outside as well when im at home. They seem to be holding up.

I figure if 3M double sided sticky tape can hold body kits up in extreme speeds on the freeway and stuff, and can hold things like your HID ballasts up in your engine bay then it can withstand some heat generated by your bulbs.

If for some reason they fail, i'll open my headlights back up and epoxy them.

Yeah you're right. Not the best option..

oddly enough I used 3m double sided sticky tape to tape the shrouds to the headlights lol.

Since my first post of having them installed I've hit 110 Degrees F with the car sitting idle for 8+ hours in the sun, and driving in 110 degree weather *knock on wood* no problems so far. It also gets to about 45-55 degrees at night in my area and my car is parked outside as well when im at home. They seem to be holding up.

I figure if 3M double sided sticky tape can hold body kits up in extreme speeds on the freeway and stuff, and can hold things like your HID ballasts up in your engine bay then it can withstand some heat generated by your bulbs.

If for some reason they fail, i'll open my headlights back up and epoxy them.

Any final pics of your setup I like the stock look of it.

Yes pics please! The only other person besides the OP here who have ever posted any pictures of their retrofits were Unzip, and XLR8N (kinda ^_^). For a thread 5 pages long, it's surprising to basically not to see any pics from anyone!

Yes pics please! The only other person besides the OP here who have ever posted any pictures of their retrofits were Unzip, and XLR8N (kinda ^_^). For a thread 5 pages long, it's surprising to basically not to see any pics from anyone!

Not the best pictures but it's a start :)

Last edited:
Okay guys, here's a write up on how to retrofit your Mazda 2's headlights with Bi-Xenon projectors. The projectors I'm using are Morimoto Mini D2S from TheRetrofitSource.com. This process works just the same for the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors as they use the same mounting method. This is what I'm starting out with minus the E55 shrouds. This time around I'm using E46-R shrouds.
[IMG.]http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=191413&d=1328150461[/IMG]

Now the first step to the retrofit is to get the lights apart. There's two ways to go about this, either the bake method using an oven, or a heat gun. Unfortunately, our headlights are huge and wouldn't fit in my oven so I had to resort to the heat gun method. There are 4 screws helping secure the lens to the housing. Remove these first before seperating. It took a little longer than the oven would but still works none-the-less. Just take your time and gently put the heat at the seam where then lens meets the housing and slowly go around. Once the butyl sealant is pliable, go around the edges with either a wide screwdriver or flat putty knife and gently pry without forcing starting at the corner where the turn signal is. Once the lens starts to seperate, you can pull it apart with your hands working down to the corner where the parking light is. Make sure to not get the butyl sealant on the lens as it is very difficult to get off. Here will be your finished product.

[IMG.]http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=191414&d=1328151765[/IMG]
[IMG.]http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=191415&d=1328151766[/IMG]

Now that the lights are apart you can start prepping them for the projectors. You need to remove the factory bulb retainer and shield.
[IMG.]http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=191416&d=1328153139[/IMG]
Once these are removed you can insert the threaded back of the projector into the opening. Make sure to feed the solenoid wire through the bulb opening as well. You can tuck it into the bottom where the sheild used to sit. Now place the 9003/H4 adapter plate on the back side and line it up with the factory tabs and place the o-ring. Now simply tighten the lock nut down. This is how it will sit in the hosuing.
[IMG.]http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=191417&d=1328153504[/IMG]

Now you should place the light back into the car to test the rotational aim. For best results the car should be pointed towards a flat wall while being on relatively level ground. Turn the light on and look at the cutoff. It should be parallel to the ground. If it is not, adjust the projector so that it is.

Thank you very much for that excellent work!!, I would like to make it for my Mazda 2, but I have bought this kit

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Do you think that it will work with the BI-XENON: MORIMOTO MINI D2S 2.0 ? Do I need to buy another accesorie like cables, sockets, brackets, etc_ ??

Thanks again for your help.

C.F.

Thank you very much for that excellent work!!, I would like to make it for my Mazda 2, but I have bought this kit

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Do you think that it will work with the BI-XENON: MORIMOTO MINI D2S 2.0 ? Do I need to buy another accesorie like cables, sockets, brackets, etc_ ??

Thanks again for your help.

C.F.

No. You have stock size mazda2 bulbs. You need D2S bulbs. TRS Sell a kit that includes EVERYTHING you need.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=237

Back