How To: Retrofit HID projectors into P5 headlights

If you're on a budget, get a 35W (most aftermarket bulbs, especially cheap ones, cannot handle 55w, they will burn too hot) DDM Tuning D2S HID kit and H4 battery harness (since the sedans use this as the high/low beam). However, make sure you get a bi-xenon harness. I would call Retrofit Source, they should have them.

Anyways, I'm uploading a driving video right now.

Last edited:
If you're on a budget, get a 35W (most aftermarket bulbs, especially cheap ones, cannot handle 55w, they will burn too hot) DDM Tuning D2S HID kit and H4 battery harness (since the sedans use this as the high/low beam). However, make sure you get a bi-xenon harness. I would call Retrofit Source, they should have them.

Anyways, I'm uploading a driving video right now.

Yea I see the H4 battery harness at theretrofitsource.com. Can I order via the web and still get the discount for mentioning you? Just say matt from the mazda forum?

There you go, just make sure it's bi-xenon if you still want your high beams. I'm not sure how to wire them in however on a shared harness, but Matt @ Retrofit Source will help you out, send him an email or give him a call and he can explain everything.

matt@theretrofitsource.com

or

614-653-3451

I know that.. I was just throwing it out there for whoever was going to retro their own P5 lights. Retro a set of Fogs in the High beam location..
ps: Wagonbacker9 Thanks for changing my thread title..
real hard to make a high beam focus for a fog... in fact.. I'd say nearly impossible.

I know that.. I was just throwing it out there for whoever was going to retro their own P5 lights. Retro a set of Fogs in the High beam location..
ps: Wagonbacker9 Thanks for changing my thread title..

no prb, this is what competing for the funds I'd put in that trunk cage.

So with bi-xenon high beams aren't any brighter, the shroud just moves so there is more light cast? But HID is brighter than regular brights anyways so it doesn't matter, is that how that works? Wouldn't that annoy people even if you have your low beams on cause it's so bright?

The high beam on the projector is basically the same as a halogen high beam since there is nothing blocking the bulb, unleashing unlimited light.

And even though the light is very bright, the cutoff shield in the projector is what makes the difference, that's why high end HID setups use projectors and not just plug and play kits. The lighting is brighter, AND you don't blind people. It's basically the best of both worlds.

Here it is everyone, the epic driving video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TfwIVgeQ1A

This gets me excited- I can't wait to do my retrofit! It's gonna look just like yours with the GTi-R shrouds on my yellow P5... hope it doesn't bother you knowing your car won't be the only one with these lights anymore. I can only assume it doesn't bother you since you wrote up this thread showing us how to do it lol. Thanks! (cabpatch)

yup, you want to use the stock bucket so as to maintain adjustability.

I constantly adjust Callie's when we have a load or people in the backseat so as not to blind everyone

As to doing a dual projector setup, the projectors i use as foglights could work(They ARE foglights)

Photo0337.jpg

Last edited:
I installed my battery harness tonight, I'm finally glad that I'm running off of the battery as opposed to strangling the poor factory wiring with the demand of the 55w ballasts.

Back