How To: Retrofit HID projectors into P5 headlights

to be fair, there were pics of a sedan housing in his how-to for pulling apart the headlights.

Yeah I edited in the first post that some of the pics weren't mine, that way there is no more confusion. However you should've known from the final pics that they were P5 lights. ;)

Some more daytime pics:

DSC_0878.jpg

DSC_0882.jpg

DSC_0883.jpg

DSC_0884.jpg

You probably could've secured those ballasts better. There's a nice spot on both sides behind the bumper, right above the washer fluid tank on the passenger side and above the fog light on the driver side. There are a couple bolts on both sides that you can just slip the ballast onto and secure it with a couple nuts. Just a thought..

I would put them there, however having to take a bumper off to get to the ballasts isn't very practical. The ballasts are double sticky taped onto the body and they aren't going anywhere. It may not look pretty but they are easily accessible.

I would put them there, however having to take a bumper off to get to the ballasts isn't very practical. The ballasts are double sticky taped onto the body and they aren't going anywhere. It may not look pretty but they are easily accessible.
exactly why I didn't do this.

I've been torn between deciding on buying P5 headlights and doing this and using halogen for high beam or sticking with my sedan headlights and doing this. I've seen some HID projectors in action going from low to high on youtube and I think im leaning towards using my sedan headlights and going bi-xenon

Go bixenon and add the halogen highs... sure as s*** not going to hurt anything.

(I'll likely just retrofit sedan lights if I do this, so, be aware I'm not following my own advice here)

I didnt see the point in spending $350 on P5 headlights if I was going bi-xenon since then I wouldnt be using halogen for high beam. Yea I know it wouldnt hurt....but its the extra costs for its unlikely use

who said anything about spending 350?! lol pick up a used set for $100. unless you're going to just take your car down while you do the work, you can resell the spare set when you're done for what you've got in em... or keep em to go back to stock with in the event you need/want to...

honestly, I'd do either set, but either way I'd go bixenon, and if I had the P5, I'd wire the halogen in.. what can it hurt?

take a look around here. theres a pass side with a broken tab for $40... lool

SER_Cyclops just sold a set of mint MSP lights for 150 shipped...

I like the look of the P5 lights better also, and who cares about unused halogens? It would be awfully hard to find halogen high beam bulbs that match the color of the HID bulbs. If you have a P5 also, it's not really worth it to wire them in, you would have to use a switch of some sort since if you went the bi-xenon route the high beam plug would already be taken by the projector solenoid connector.

I like the look of the P5 lights better also, and who cares about unused halogens? It would be awfully hard to find halogen high beam bulbs that match the color of the HID bulbs. If you have a P5 also, it's not really worth it to wire them in, you would have to use a switch of some sort since if you went the bi-xenon route the high beam plug would already be taken by the projector solenoid connector.
you could easily tap into the stock high beam harness to get the solenoid signal. The solenoid has a minimal draw so I wouldn't even worry about the wiring either.

It can be done but it's really a waste of time. If you saw my lights in person you would know why. I'm gonna try to get a driving video tonight.

Sorry but I'm a little confused about this whole bi-xenon thing. Did you not put the HID bulb inside the projector housing? What are you using for your high and low beams?

BTW, those are by far the nicest headlights i've seen on a P5 anywhere.

Sorry but I'm a little confused about this whole bi-xenon thing. Did you not put the HID bulb inside the projector housing? What are you using for your high and low beams?

BTW, those are by far the nicest headlights i've seen on a P5 anywhere.

bixenon means an HID low and high beam... one bulb.

So if I did this to my sedan lights and got the FX-R projectors, would I need anything else besides a D2S HID kit? H4 bi-xenon wire harness maybe?

Last edited:
Back