How to remove CX-90 door and console overlays?

Probably a long shot, but does anyone know how to remove the small overlays on the interior door panels, and the overlay on the console around the shifter? On cars with black interior, these are sort of a woven metallic finish. On cars with white nappa or greige, they're a light tone wood grain. On S Premium Plus with tan, they're a dark wood grain.

I'd like to replace the woven metal ones (in a black interior) with a set of dark wood grain overlays. Hoping I can purchase the dark wood overlays from my local dealers parts department. I just need to figure out how to remove the old ones, and install the new ones.

I realize this is a very unusual request, but if anyone has any knowledge I'd really appreciate hearing from you! Thanks in advance.

Probably a long shot, but does anyone know how to remove the small overlays on the interior door panels, and the overlay on the console around the shifter? On cars with black interior, these are sort of a woven metallic finish. On cars with white nappa or greige, they're a light tone wood grain. On S Premium Plus with tan, they're a dark wood grain.

I'd like to replace the woven metal ones (in a black interior) with a set of dark wood grain overlays. Hoping I can purchase the dark wood overlays from my local dealers parts department. I just need to figure out how to remove the old ones, and install the new ones.

I realize this is a very unusual request, but if anyone has any knowledge I'd really appreciate hearing from you! Thanks in advance.
I don't think it's a usual ask at all. I love the idea. I did something similar on an old Civic hatchback (installed some upper trim pieces on the interior).

Just be aware that the dark inlays aren't wood in the top trim CX90...the only wood option is the light maple, which comes in the lighter interior on the top spec. Odd downgrade choice made by Mazda for people getting the tan interior in the top models if you ask me. That could work out well for you as they may be priced better since they aren't wood. I wonder what the tan interior would look like with the light maple wood trim :unsure:

My experience is these upper trim pieces made of nicer material are usually priced to deter people from buying them and installing them...I recall the Signature trim pieces in the newest Mazda6 model were outrageously priced.

Let us know how you make out!

Thanks GTEyes. I did a little more research, and it appears that Mazda doesn't sell the "shift panel" (center console overlay) as a service part. And the overlays in the door panels aren't separate parts, they're included in the door panel itself. I can't imagine what the price would be for four new complete door panels! So I'm thinking of trying an aftermarket vinyl wrap, 3M makes this, and some other companies like VViViD Vinyls and Rvinyl. I ordered some samples today to see how they look. If I can't do a good job on this myself, I'll probably talk to a local company that does exterior wraps to see if they have any experience with interior vinyl wraps.

Thanks GTEyes. I did a little more research, and it appears that Mazda doesn't sell the "shift panel" (center console overlay) as a service part. And the overlays in the door panels aren't separate parts, they're included in the door panel itself. I can't imagine what the price would be for four new complete door panels! So I'm thinking of trying an aftermarket vinyl wrap, 3M makes this, and some other companies like VViViD Vinyls and Rvinyl. I ordered some samples today to see how they look. If I can't do a good job on this myself, I'll probably talk to a local company that does exterior wraps to see if they have any experience with interior vinyl wraps.
That sounds cool.
I'd love to see the results if you move ahead with it!

If you search the CX-9 forum on this site, you will find posts from the CX-9 users that have applied sone of that vinyl to the piano black on the center console around the shifter and the door inlays. The result was pretty good. I plan to do it as well once the piano black gets too scratched up.

Back