How-To: Home Depot (HD) Lip

Ok, I just finished installing my own HD Lip

(sorry the car is extremely salty, I'd have to wash it every day to keep it clean - hate Michigan winters, it always make s working on cars a pain)

20110208133731.jpg

So i used just screws and some things i could find around the house to hold them very steadily in place
20110208133142.jpg

20110208133227.jpg

20110208133241.jpg

20110208133249.jpg

And pics of it from a distance
20110208133319.jpg

20110208133332.jpg

20110208133713.jpg

20110208133735.jpg

I like it... (might need some touching up, but I already skipped doing some school work for this,
so thats enough for one day...took me over 1.5 hrs to do it with the car on jacks)

Last edited:
For those of you who wonder how HD lip looks on the rear. Here are some poopy bberry pics. IMO, it looks real nice for the price.

img2011051900001.jpg

img2011051900002.jpg

Got her done I think it looks good covers up my scraps overall B+ thank you for this helpful right up

Attachments

• DSCN1899.JPG
    DSCN1899.JPG
    810.8 KB · Views: 440
not sure if anyone's going to see this cause this is so old. but i tried doing this today and it didnt really workout so i stopped and will resume when im ready. So to start the 3m double sided industrial red tape wasn't sticking to the door liner. It's like i wont stick to rubber. also i have the protege5 so my front bumper curves and this stuff doesn't seem like it would bend but i see people on here to get it to bend so how did you? I just concerned why the tape recommended wasn't working and what kind of tape i should use?

not sure if anyone's going to see this cause this is so old. but i tried doing this today and it didnt really workout so i stopped and will resume when im ready. So to start the 3m double sided industrial red tape wasn't sticking to the door liner. It's like i wont stick to rubber. also i have the protege5 so my front bumper curves and this stuff doesn't seem like it would bend but i see people on here to get it to bend so how did you? I just concerned why the tape recommended wasn't working and what kind of tape i should use?

Just remember that whenever you try to stick TAPE to something, you have to make sure that you are applying it to a clean, dry surface. It will stick to some surfaces better than others, but it should stick to plastic pretty well. As far as the curves of our cars, you just have to work it into a curve. The tape is pretty stretchy - for lack of a better word. Just keep trying to work with it. The hardest part - that I encountered - was trying to put the self tapping screws in once the tape and door skirt was on. It got frustrating as all hell, but well worth it in the end. IMO.

yea everyone sais to clean the bumper and the the seal with acetone or alcohol but i mean i took the stuff right out of the package, the tape was brand new but it just wouldn't stick. i don't know how cleaning it with alcohol would make it stick. it was sticking fine to the car but it would just slide off the garage seal.

yea everyone sais to clean the bumper and the the seal with acetone or alcohol but i mean i took the stuff right out of the package, the tape was brand new but it just wouldn't stick. i don't know how cleaning it with alcohol would make it stick. it was sticking fine to the car but it would just slide off the garage seal.

This might seem like a stupid question, but u did take the red tape off both sides?

well when you unroll it one side already has the tape off so i was trying to stick that side to the seal, then i tried taking off the red tape on the other side and sticking THAT to the seal and it just didnt work so it threw the tape (breakn)

well when you unroll it one side already has the tape off so i was trying to stick that side to the seal, then i tried taking off the red tape on the other side and sticking THAT to the seal and it just didnt work so it threw the tape (breakn)

try sticking the tape to the contours of the car first. Make sure that there is no tape just hanging in the air. Then comes the "Lip". Once you have all of the Lip on the tape, cut the excess and you move on to the screws.

yea i thought that i just didn't want to put tape on my car and the "lip" not stick to it. this is all great advice except for the fact the tape wont even stick to this..

30885980021_large.jpg

will cleaning it with the alcohol make it stick?

yea i thought that i just didn't want to put tape on my car and the "lip" not stick to it. this is all great advice except for the fact the tape wont even stick to this..

30885980021_large.jpg

will cleaning it with the alcohol make it stick?

Clean the car, not the door bottom. Just to be clear. It should stick just fine.

this is all very confusing (deadhorse)

i completely washed my car before trying this

Im having the same issue. Have the exact same one you bought xitoxic and its not sticking to it. I think they changed how they made because packaging is different than the original one posted for this mod.

yea, dont bother trying, you wont be able to get it to stick. wasted my money on the rolls of that tape and ended up balling/throwing both of them. just buy a good 25 or 30 self tapping screws and washer that fit inside the screw to hold up the lip better. my screws were about a inch tall.

does anyone know if this works for any mazda? i have an 03 protege5 and want a new lip. i heard that 06 wrx lips fit but if i can make my own for $20 id rather do that. if anyone can help that would be awesome!

Old thread, I know. I wanted to try this lip, but no stores here have the hard rubber. Only the soft crap that is going to flap in the breeze.

I didn't see the Diamond Lock stuff listed on HD's or Lowe's sites either.

Am I SOL now?

Back