How-To...Gauge Disassembly

OK let me just start by saying how much this thread helped me . I have had my indiglo gauges in my car for like 2 yrs and havent had temp or gas . Only way i would know if my gas was low was wait for the light to come on . (flame2) So i got lucky and bought the Msp gauges from Twisted Msp whos motor blew this past week and i try out this how to . bc i didnt want to lose my mileage . his was 75k and mine was almost 40k so if i drove into the dealer they would be like your warranty is up sorry . so here are the pix that i took . I did one set of gauges while my g/f did the other set . TEAM WORK , Let me just say i was so nervous about doing this and having something else go wrong but everything went great . swap the faces on to my cluster and ecu and now i have Everything Gas , Temp , Tach ,with the Mazdaspeed logo . Hot s*** sorry but here are all the pix i took . that came out .

DSC01293.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01298.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01305.jpg

DSC01315.jpg

DSC01316.jpg

DSC01305.jpg

DSC01320.jpg

DSC01324.jpg

Sorry if i mixed up the order a little bit but you get the picture. Such a easy mod .. Great write up / How to !

I'm glad everyone is finding this helpful. I never posted my gauges up, but I switched all my Pro5 faces over to the black faces out of the 99-00 sedans. It looks pretty sweet as I was never a big fan of the off-white stock faces.

03esProtege said:
OK let me just start by saying how much this thread helped me . I have had my indiglo gauges in my car for like 2 yrs and havent had temp or gas . Only way i would know if my gas was low was wait for the light to come on . (flame2) So i got lucky and bought the Msp gauges from Twisted Msp whos motor blew this past week and i try out this how to . bc i didnt want to lose my mileage . his was 75k and mine was almost 40k so if i drove into the dealer they would be like your warranty is up sorry . so here are the pix that i took . I did one set of gauges while my g/f did the other set . TEAM WORK , Let me just say i was so nervous about doing this and having something else go wrong but everything went great . swap the faces on to my cluster and ecu and now i have Everything Gas , Temp , Tach ,with the Mazdaspeed logo . Hot s*** sorry but here are all the pix i took . that came out .

Sorry if i mixed up the order a little bit but you get the picture. Such a easy mod .. Great write up / How to !
woot, go you. looks good. good job getting the woman involved.(yupnope)

so, it looks like needle removal is lethal... I am anxiously awaiting a MSP cluster to swap into my P5 only because I wanted the silver needle look as well as the Mazdaspeed on the tach... mine being an automatic with the indicator on the dash, i can't swap out without needle removal. Is there any secret to getting those needles off safely? Also, when I put them back on, is there anything that needs to be done to make sure they work properly? Thx...

i tried a few methods myself, and nothing worked. The metal rods have a section that is very thin and weak, and any force applied to them breaks them. If you want to paint them, just mask everything else around them and use a very fine brush.

hate to dig up an old thread, but i was wondering if anyone could tell me if i could do this with my dx cluster to get a tach. I noticed in the pictures, there are 2 circles one the pcb where the temp/fuel gauge connect. On my cluster there is only one gauge (fuel) I'm wondering if underneath it has 2 circles, or just one. Anyone ever try this with a dx?

hate to dig up an old thread, but i was wondering if anyone could tell me if i could do this with my dx cluster to get a tach. I noticed in the pictures, there are 2 circles one the pcb where the temp/fuel gauge connect. On my cluster there is only one gauge (fuel) I'm wondering if underneath it has 2 circles, or just one. Anyone ever try this with a dx?

you should be able to take a non dx cluster-lx es msp p5 and just swap it and have the cluster work

you should be able to take a non dx cluster-lx es msp p5 and just swap it and have the cluster work

I'm not so sure. On my cluster, the engine temp is where the tach would go, so if i took it apart, and put the tach in that spot, wouldn't it just do what the engine temp gauge does, or nothing at all or maybe something crazy?

actually, the two large #194's light up just the center of the gauge cluster, the other two (#74's) light up the tach, and temp gauge...then the idiot lights are each seperate leds if swapped.

when i had my cluster apart yesterday, i don't think my 2 smaller lights are LED's, as i can see a filliment inside them.

But, PN's are 194's and 74's? I'll hit up ebay for some cheap=o's as well as a setup another member is offering to me at the moment

I'm not so sure. On my cluster, the engine temp is where the tach would go, so if i took it apart, and put the tach in that spot, wouldn't it just do what the engine temp gauge does, or nothing at all or maybe something crazy?

dont take anything apart.just swap the clusters.itll work.the engine/interior harnesses are the same the clusters however are wired differently to work with the common harnesses

can someone help me out. i wana swap the lights in my cluster to an orange. can anyone help? im so lost.

Back