How-To...Gauge Disassembly

xelderx

Zoom Zoom Boom X 3
Thanks to Bootleg for the camera, tools, floor, and Taco Bell.

This should explain how to dismantel your stock gauges all the way down, with the exception of taking the needles off of the faces.

Tools: Small phillips head screwdriver
Small flathead scrwdriver

dscn0394.jpg

First...Remove the metal mounting bracket from the top of the gauge.
dscn0395.jpg

You can remove the LED's by turning them counter-clockwise.
dscn0400.jpg

Now remove the clear plastic cover from the front of the guages by unclipping it in seven different places.
dscn0396.jpg

Next, remove the translucent plastic cover from the back of the assembly by unscrewing the 4 screws.
4screwsback.jpg

Remove the black plastic cover on the front of the gauges now by unclipping it in 6 places.
dscn0401.jpg

Be very carefull now since your needles are exposed if you lay the gauges down on something.

The Gas and Temp gauges are removed by taking out the 6 screws on the right side of the circuit board.
6screwstemp.jpg

The Speedometer and Tach assemblies are held in by very small tabs. Just pry the tabs up with your small flathead scredriver and then push them through the cicuit board. It takes a little effort to push them through.
2tabsspeedo.jpg

2tabstach.jpg

dscn0406.jpg

Once that is done all you should have left is the circuit board and the white mounting piece.
dscn0407.jpg

Remove the circuit board by taking out the 9-10 screws (couldn't remember if I was missing a screw or not) from the back of the circuit board.
circutscews.jpg

dscn0409.jpg

That should be everything.
dscn0410.jpg

Now you should be able to switch gauge faces and odometers into any other protege cluster. I'll have pictures of mine up later.

Last edited:
hey, my only problem is now for switching the odometer, its green, while the white face guages i have are red..anyway of switching odometer led colors?

SpicyMchaggis said:
hey, my only problem is now for switching the odometer, its green, while the white face guages i have are red..anyway of switching odometer led colors?

I don't think you can switch the internal coloring of the odometer, but you could alway make the guage LED's green.

not at the moment, but i have a couple times, by the way this page works in mozilla..its what i use too..lame ass IE fools..wahaha

I was interested in seeing the back and all sides of the odometer BUT my car's not going anywhere for a while so I'll just go take mine apart.

I need a rear shot with all of the LEDs installed. I want to be sure I put them in the right spots.

t3ase said:
I need a rear shot with all of the LEDs installed. I want to be sure I put them in the right spots.

circutscews.jpg

This is the best shot I have. The four holes at the bottom aren't used. There are 5 LED's on tthe far left and 3 on the far right. There is one small one behind the Gas/Temp gauge. Of the ones at the top...the ones at the top left are both used. The ones at the top right use all but the upper left hole.

If that doesn't make any sense I understand.

Hmm...didn't know the MSP's were different. If you happen to get a pic please post for everyone else.

What bulb numbers are those in the guage assembly? If you were to say change all the bulbs to say, BLUE, would that change the entire cluster? Just wondering before I go and take mine apart, AGAIN.

Someone else will have to answer that one...there was another thread about changing interior LED's and I think it had all the bulb info in it. Might try and search for that.

TheJohnny said:
What bulb numbers are those in the guage assembly? If you were to say change all the bulbs to say, BLUE, would that change the entire cluster? Just wondering before I go and take mine apart, AGAIN.
You need 2 large #194 LEDs and 2 small #74 LEDs. I just ordered them from https://www.superbrightleds.com . Make sure you get the 6LED #194 bulbs and not the 4LED ones. The brighter the better.

Back