How-to: Fogs always on [PICTURES]

02MP5iiZM

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Okay so I finally got around to doing the fog mod and I decided to post one with pictures!(wink)

DO THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF, WHEN FOLLOWING THESE DIRECTIONS, YOU SCREW SOMETHING UP AND DESTROY YOUR CAR. This is what I did and it works for me.

Here's what you need:
16 gauge wire
Wire cutters/strippers
Electrical Tape
dsc04365lu0.jpg

#1: Disconnect the battery

#2: Take off side cover near the driver door::
dsc04366vi6.jpg

#3: Unplug the blue connector from the fog on/off button that's by the steering wheel

#4: Look under the dash directly above the clutch pedal to find this small black box:: [Two angles of the black box/white connector]
dsc04371abcbx0.jpg

#5: Cut the red wire about 3 or 4 inches from the white connector, I cut it a little close to the connector, I suggest you don't do the same, it made it harder to strip::
dsc04378jf5.jpg

dsc04381abcpq7.jpg

#6: Take the blue connect and find the green wire to strip it [DON'T CUT] just enough to twist the 16 gauge wire around::
dsc04372yi6.jpg

#7: After you twist the new wire around the green wire [blue connector], and twist the new wire to the red wire [white connector], wrap the exposed wire with electrical tape.
dsc04382abcvp5.jpg

#8: Before you put the cover back on, reconnect the battery and try it out.

If it works, make sure any wire is secured and everything is put back.
This only took me around 20-30 minutes to do, and I love it!!:D
If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Nice write up! You could just get a wire tap and tap into green wire with the bleu connect, but very nice write up.

Nice nails btw.

Nice write up! You could just get a wire tap and tap into green wire with the bleu connect, but very nice write up.

Nice nails btw.

haha I knew someone was going to comment on my nails. YaY for halloween.

Anywho. I just got frustrated(pissed) when I read that short paragraph, but I'm sure I'm not the first to this. But thanks anyway!!!

Thanks for the pics...I need to get around to this. Does this disable the foglight switch or can that still be used to control when the fogs are on? (my preference)

Thanks for the how-to! Just got this done. One suggestion, those connections should be soldered for the most secure connection.

Thanks for the how-to! Just got this done. One suggestion, those connections should be soldered for the most secure connection.
amen, takes more time, but you'll be sure of the best possible connection that way, crimps and tape don't always cut it!!

Awesome write-up! (first) I'm going to have to do this and the window mod over winter break.

it lets them be on with everything but the highs I believe (@ least mine turn off when the highs come on). They can still be independently controlled through their master switch.

EDIT: Good write up, finally 1 w/ pics! :D

is this a gurl explaning? coz u have spider web nails hehehehee

it lets them be on with everything but the highs I believe (@ least mine turn off when the highs come on). They can still be independently controlled through their master switch.

EDIT: Good write up, finally 1 w/ pics! :D

So this is on with everything but HIs? I want on with everything/anything with switch control...is the blue ignition wire I need to tap into for that pictured here at all?

I must be taking my crazy pills again LOL

I do enjoy a crazy pill now and then (silly), and I am sorry to restate the obvious, but I am looking for the power source I can tap that will let me turn the fogs on with HIs, LOWs, Parking or with nothing on at all. Does anyone have any info on that. I know it's on the other foglight rewire thread, but I have had difficult finding the wire and would love a pic...

my view: 1st: you're only allowed 4 'main' lights on at one time (hence the reason for the fogs turning off when the lows AND highs are on). 2nd: isn't having them both on at the same time kind of counter productive? The highs are for long distance, high visibility. You're probably not looking where the fogs are anyway. The fogs are for low visibility, when the highs would just reflect back into your face (ie: IN FOG, heavy rain, etc lol)

So yea, that's just me. Good night

Back