HOW TO: Change your own oil

Ok well ill be doing my first oil change in about 700 miles...

Ok im gonna have to either buy some jackstands or ramps lol

Quick question... what exactly do you guys think i should put in for oil. Penzoil plat or Mobile 1.

Oh and can i just use a fram filter from autozone or do yall recommend me getting an oem oilfilter...

I would stay away from Mobil 1... Threads around here and other forums say that Mobil does handle the fuel dilution very well... Stick with PP if you are not going with a "true" synthetic. Regarding the oil filter, make sure it includes the two o-rings... Its not your typical metal oil filter can, its paper element. Because not to over-torque the plastic oil canister; you can crack it...

I would stay away from Mobil 1... Threads around here and other forums say that Mobil does handle the fuel dilution very well... Stick with PP if you are not going with a "true" synthetic..

There also seems to be enough evidence from various member's oil analysis that this so-called "Fuel Dilution" issue is a myth or at least widespread. I would assume it may vary with driving habits. Lots of city, red light to red light WOT romps, etc...where we run pig rich, may attribute to more fuel dilution than say, someone doing 70 miles a day on the highway. I just don't believe it's as common of a problem as some of the paranoia in this forum tends to make it seem. I'll have my own oil analysis done next change. Anyway... back to how-to.

Thread search

Ok well ill be doing my first oil change in about 700 miles...

Ok im gonna have to either buy some jackstands or ramps lol

Quick question... what exactly do you guys think i should put in for oil. Penzoil plat or Mobile 1.

Oh and can i just use a fram filter from autozone or do yall recommend me getting an oem oilfilter...
We have had lots of discussion on oils with a bit of good science and a fair amount of opinion. If you search around you will learn about about oil qualities and maybe oil could be something you want to be particular about or maybe not. I would recommend full synthetic, if you are able to afford to so. But regular changes will remove unwanted contaminants and that makes fossil fuel attractive. It works well and can be replaced less expensively. Enjoy the search though. Bob the oil guy. Try that one for fun!

I just did the oil change in my Speed3. Took me just over an hour from start to finish. Actually ate dinner in between while the oil drained.

The only thing I didn't put back after changing the oil was those friggin pop screws on the belly pan. I didn't manage to break them but I sure was close. Figured I'll be doing my own oil changes from this point forward (Penzoil Plat), that leaving the two plastic screws was ok.

Thanks for the write up! :)

lol the oem filter is only $6 and the k&n filter is $17 :O.... but ya

still wondering if i should get the speciial wrench thing for the filter

lol the oem filter is only $6 and the k&n filter is $17 :O.... but ya

still wondering if i should get the speciial wrench thing for the filter

My wife bought the filter wrench from Auto Zone. You need the "B" type oil filter wrench cap for a whopping $4.99. It worked on her CX-7 and my Speed3 to twist off the oil cartridge. HIGHLY recommended.

you need one of those wrenches my first oil change i didnt have it it. had to do 2-3 full rotations of that slow moving full force moving total PITA

These wrenches actually put a lot of pressure in one point where the handle pulls on one end of the wrench. This has been known to fracture the plastic housing. It is insideous because it can crack the housing without it being obvious and you lose your oil over a period of time which can be unhealthy for your engine and turbo.

Agreed. There is a tool made for the job, and a torque spec for a reason.

wait which wrench? the one made for mazda? the $20 one?

Re-read my post above....

My wife bought the filter wrench from Auto Zone. You need the "B" type oil filter wrench cap for a whopping $4.99. It worked on her CX-7 and my Speed3 to twist off the oil cartridge. HIGHLY recommended

I changed my oil for the first time since getting the car earlier this year. Whoever did it the last time must have WAAAAAAY overtorqued the tiny bolt that drains the oil from the filter, because as I tried to loosen the bolt it turned the whole filter housing. Not a big deal, just a little messy because I had to take out the filter housing without draining it first. Thank goodness for latex gloves.

I just ordered the spin-on filter conversion from PG. It's coming with the K&N filter (HP2009, I think). Sure will make it easier and less nerve-wracking than dealing with a canister-type.

I just ordered the spin-on filter conversion from PG. It's coming with the K&N filter (HP2009, I think). Sure will make it easier and less nerve-wracking than dealing with a canister-type.

MikeHTally, Name's Jim. I too have a CWP 2008.5 MS3GT delivered July 14, 08.

Can you give some critique on your spin-on mod?

PG has a web-site?

I like the spin-on idea though the spin-on filter is the same size as OEM.

Thanks

Mazda New Zealand were helpful today…

-ring ring-

"Hi Mazda parts"
"Yes I'd like a socket to fit the 2.3l engine cartridge oil filter"
"I'm sorry we don't sell tools"
"ermm Its not a tool, its a genuine part"
"Sorry sir we don't sell tools"
"For chrissakes i'm looking at a picture of one now, do you want the part number"
"Sir we DON'T sell tools, thank-you for your call"
-click-

"@#$! &^!@#&^% @&*"

Mazda New Zealand were helpful today

-ring ring-

"Hi Mazda parts"
"Yes I'd like a socket to fit the 2.3l engine cartridge oil filter"
"I'm sorry we don't sell tools"
"ermm Its not a tool, its a genuine part"
"Sorry sir we don't sell tools"
"For chrissakes i'm looking at a picture of one now, do you want the part number"
"Sir we DON'T sell tools, thank-you for your call"
-click-

"@#$! &^!@#&^% @&*"

Should have just called back and said, "I want to buy this part, #xxxxxx, can you look it up for me?".

Does anybody know if I can get to the fog lights to replace them by taking off this same skid plate formentioned? Thanks

Back