How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Sadly even changing the brightness setting the differential cannot be noticeably improved.

If you have live traffic, it is impossible on night/dim setting to read what the delay times and how far away they are.

As you rotate there seems to be something in between that looks acceptable, but cannot be maintained, it is all or nothing I'm afraid.

Yes, I've been playing with the available settings and, as mentioned above, find it impossible to get an acceptable brightness to cope with bright/dull day and night conditions.

I took my car in yesterday for the brake vac pump check and was told it would be ready by lunch time. But I received a call later saying they'd found a different problem with "the engine turbo warning light" (??) that required investigation; consequently I'm now driving around in a Vauxhall Mokka auto hire car! There was certainly no warning light when I took it in. They've given me no estimate for the work, whatever it is. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Can't help with the turbo light, but i had the vac pump changed, car was in a week awaiting a spare. It's a very confusing story i'm afraid, cams wearing prematurely, turbos being replaced, i lost confidence in the 2013 car long term. In Australia complete engines have been fitted.

My intention was to trade in just before warranty expired but i got a good deal on a 2015 car and a auto.
However i'm once again having phone connection problems with the upgraded system, using phones that previously worked faultlessly with my last CX-5.

I have never had so many problems with previous jap cars. And i've 6 before the two Mazdas, Toyota, Honda, 4 Nissans.

Xtrailman,

Thanks for the reply. As it happened my car was only in for a day. They told me they changed the brake vac pump (the turbo light matter was apparently not significant) and the oil, and a modified oil filter, and software updates. But now I've been reading about premature camshaft wear on this engine, striking fear into my heart! My apologies if this has already been covered earlier in this thread (search facility isn't brilliant), but is there a general view that this is a really significant problem? I've got just 9 months left on the warranty, but do like this car and was not planning on changing it.

And just a follow up having now done more research. I see the subject was covered in several posts around July/august this year, e.g. Xtrailman's post 2096, also from Dr Watson and Rocketron.

In trawling through the various links I found a Mazda Service Information document R074/14C which included a pretty shocking picture of the camshaft exhaust lobe worn away completely - I would include it but don't know how to!

But it seems there hasn't been any further discussion on this problem, so difficult to judge how big it is. My VIN appears to be in the affected bracket (last 6 digits 161249). So it would appear that Mazda are saying this wear is or was causing the resultant swarf to circulate in the oil system and damage the brake vacuum pump (although I never noticed any brake problem), which the recall was issued to check and if necessary replace - as on my car.

But this doesn't address the root cause of the problem, that of the camshaft wear! Why is the camshaft wearing prematurely (presumably a bad batch in manufacturing), and will it continue to wear, as in the pic I've seen? Why aren't Mazda replacing these bad camshafts? Are they hoping just to get the car beyond the 3 year warranty period - I would have thought those of us who have had the brake vac pump changed could reasonably say, if and when the camshaft failed outside the warranty period, that Mazda knew about the problem (ref their Service Information document), it was therefore on-going and they should repair the car FOC.

A further thought - can one extend the warranty? I might look into this. Hmm.

We dont really know what the problem is with these vacuum pumps as different servioce advisers tell us different things. I always assumed that the vacuum pump was camshaft driven and the followers were wearing out causing swarf in the oil, and thus a new pump and different oil filter will rectify it. If there was also a lot of engine camshaft wear then fitting a new vacuum pump wont cure the problem at all. It could also be that those of us who had a hire car for 2 weeks while the pump was done also had a new camshaft but they were told not to tell the customers for fear of causing alarm.

And just a follow up having now done more research. I see the subject was covered in several posts around July/august this year, e.g. Xtrailman's post 2096, also from Dr Watson and Rocketron.

In trawling through the various links I found a Mazda Service Information document R074/14C which included a pretty shocking picture of the camshaft exhaust lobe worn away completely - I would include it but don't know how to!

But it seems there hasn't been any further discussion on this problem, so difficult to judge how big it is. My VIN appears to be in the affected bracket (last 6 digits 161249). So it would appear that Mazda are saying this wear is or was causing the resultant swarf to circulate in the oil system and damage the brake vacuum pump (although I never noticed any brake problem), which the recall was issued to check and if necessary replace - as on my car.

But this doesn't address the root cause of the problem, that of the camshaft wear! Why is the camshaft wearing prematurely (presumably a bad batch in manufacturing), and will it continue to wear, as in the pic I've seen? Why aren't Mazda replacing these bad camshafts? Are they hoping just to get the car beyond the 3 year warranty period - I would have thought those of us who have had the brake vac pump changed could reasonably say, if and when the camshaft failed outside the warranty period, that Mazda knew about the problem (ref their Service Information document), it was therefore on-going and they should repair the car FOC.

A further thought - can one extend the warranty? I might look into this. Hmm.

Why don't you get a price on a new CX-5, both myself and Dr watson have the new version.
I got 4K of the car plus an exceptional trade in, around 1K more than the WBAC dealers, all three quoted around the same.

Residuals are exceptional at the moment.

Xtrailman, well, that's worth thinking about and may investigate a deal. I willl also try and pin them down on where I stand, post warranty, if a serious problem (e.g. camshaft) related to the recall were to occur.

Thanks for your and rocketron's thoughts.

extended warranty

Xtrailman, well, that's worth thinking about and may investigate a deal. I willl also try and pin them down on where I stand, post warranty, if a serious problem (e.g. camshaft) related to the recall were to occur.

Thanks for your and rocketron's thoughts.

Mazda just offered us a choice of 3 levels of extended warranty plus roadside assistance for 1 year, looking at 331.61, 305.75 and 275.59 - kindly reduced if you agree a 150 excess by about 25.
Has anyone had any corrosion problems with their alloys, just about 35 months old with 33000 miles and have had a set of new alloys fitted under warranty today- spokes bubbling- must be the salt on the Northumberland roads.

I have a spare set of 2013 19" wheels which are still like new, new car has different alloys which i don't have the same confidence in.

Last car exhaust was covered in rust.

Dear all

Sadly letting my CX-5 go, as need a new 7 seater, as now have 3 kids.
Genuinely gutted as i think the CX-5 is a top notch car !

MAZDA CX-5 DIESEL, 2.2d Sport Nav 5dr, 04/09/2013 registered, 63 plate, 25k miles, good condition with 200 to spend on a couple of small scratches, full service history.
On finance so got a quote from the garage to buy it back = 15.5k.
Sounds light to me ? On Mazda web-site, pre-owned of same spec being marketed at 18-19k.

As a few people have had recent trade ins and decent residuals being talked about, any thoughts ?

Granted I'm not trading in so in a weaker position but .................

Many thanks in advance.

Dear all

Sadly letting my CX-5 go, as need a new 7 seater, as now have 3 kids.
Genuinely gutted as i think the CX-5 is a top notch car !

MAZDA CX-5 DIESEL, 2.2d Sport Nav 5dr, 04/09/2013 registered, 63 plate, 25k miles, good condition with 200 to spend on a couple of small scratches, full service history.
On finance so got a quote from the garage to buy it back = 15.5k.
Sounds light to me ? On Mazda web-site, pre-owned of same spec being marketed at 18-19k.

As a few people have had recent trade ins and decent residuals being talked about, any thoughts ?

Granted I'm not trading in so in a weaker position but .................

Many thanks in advance.

Ask the we buy any car type companies for a quote. I was only offered around 17300 for mine last November. It was a July 2013 delivery car on a 13 plate. AWD Sport Nav 175ps with around 15K miles, unmarked.
Dealer gave me 18250 plus 4K off car, so not an over inflated trade in.

Hi have not been on here for ages but me and the cx-5 are parting ways it's been a rollacoster experience but feel with this car what's next to fail.
The car has had the following under warranty 1 gearbox 1 main ECU
Discs warped
Discs replaced
1 vaccume pump
Total cost was 6,142 and early services due to DPF putting diesel in the oil
So going to try a Lexus rx

150 would be more realistic?

I'm sure the Lexus will be reliable, although i do recall a new one in whatcar having a new gearbox fitted, so not totally trouble free.
Just hope it handles better than the Toyota i had back before Lexus replaced them, mine was 100% reliable. Extremly well made in fact the first car i had ever bought that had a perfect paint finnish, rare in those days. Carina 2.

Guys, has anyone driven in Europe? I'm trying to find out what I need to do regarding the headlights, but can't find anything definitive. The last time I went (many years ago) it was black stickers on the headlight glass, but I've read that this can damage the bi-xenons?

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=288.0

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=204.0

Personally i always thought you didn't need to do anything with bi-xenons.
And in case youre wandering the led lights are no better than the bi-xenons in light output in my opinion, very disappointed with mine.

Thanks for that, beam deflectors it is then. I've found these which are confirmed as okay for bi-xenons: http://www.motoring-into-europe.co.uk/product-eurolites.html

Just an update on Mazda's Recall to check the brake vacuum pump, which in my case resulted in the need to change this unit.

I returned to my dealer later and had a long chat about this work, expressing my concern that changing the vac pump was by definition indicative of excessive camshaft wear, and such wear would only get worse resulting in increasingly impaired valve operation, and equally important further damage to other rotating parts of the engine from the metal particles.

The dealer to my surprise consulted their head office, and a couple of weeks later my car went in for 'further examination' under warranty. This led to the Service Information document R074/14C being carried out, namely replacing the turbo charger and camshaft. So I'm very happy with this outcome.

Looks like i made the correct decision to replace my car after my pump was replaced.

Who knows where else they may be tiny shards stuck inside oilways, i believe new engines have been fitted in Australia, not just repairs.

Back