How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

I'm looking to change my CX5 AWD sport Nav with safety pack etc, it'll be 3 in January and has 41k miles. I've looked at the Volvo XC60, Range Rover Evogue, Jeep Cherokee and the new model CX5. The CX5 works out cheapest to change so I'm considering it, despite the issues I had with my current one.

My current one is a manual, but I'm thinking on the auto version for the new one. Can anyone recommend the auto? What mpg does it return?

The sat Nav is different, not the Tom Tom one, is it any good?

Have a drive of the high powered Tucson, its good to drive and has slightly more torque at 1750rpm than the 175 cx-5, along with more power about 10 bhp more.
It also has a 8" nav screen.

Also there is a BMW X1 due this month, more power more lowdown torque and quicker than the CX-5, along with a 8 speed Aisin auto, I haven't driven one yet.

I bought the CX-5 again because I feel the problems are largely resolved, and auto on order do to getting older and being feed up of gear changing, i'm expecting a 3mpg drop in fuel returns, but as I only do 7K miles a year the difference is peanuts.

Personally I think the cx-5 needs an extra gear to drop revs at high speed and reduce consumption.
Reason I bought another cx-5 is my driving is largely none motorway. And the deal was unbelievable.

At the moment very good deals are available, and your car will have excellent residuals, I expect in 3 years time though that a new model will reduce residuals.

From what I've read the new nav doesn't do full post codes, but I have read a post saying you can still use codes but they need to be entered under the town entry, if that makes sense.
Some early bugs have now been sorted with a software update.

I have just joined a Mazda forum with more information, I didn't flag it up two years ago when I googled so perhaps its only recent.

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/

I had a 150PS model for 3 years and change to the 175PS in summer. Both are manual. It's my wifes car, I drive it at the weekend sometimes.

The new NAV is better for me, although to tell you the truth I have little use for it. I hated the old TomTom, nothing to do with the Live traffic, I never used that or needed it really. My old TomTom would take for ever to get a signal, once it did, it often thought that car was on an adjacent road, the map would spin around as you drive steadily down the motorway. The new NAV has non of these problems so far. It does not show the actual GPS speed anymore, I liked that so I could set my cruise control just below the limit for the cameras.

What I can note since I have had the car a few months now.

The gearing is different in the 175PS, it's much longer. I much preferred the gearing in the 150PS, it was shorter, which meant the car sat confortably at 30mph in 4th. In the 175PS, at 50mph it is very low in the rev range. Same at 50mph which is the speed limit in A roads here. The 150PS felt better in 6th, I sometimes leave the 175PS in 5th at this speed now.

I still have rattles from the A pillars on my new car, not just the driver side like my old car but also the passenger side.

I still have rattles from the roof console area. Seems to be around the sunroof switch area. These rattle go away once the car warms up...usually.

I have the "someone playing the spoons" noise from the engine once it warms up (often takes 20 mins to appear). If this had shown up on the test drive I would not have purchased it. My test drive was about 15 mins long. There are various threads on this subject but no conclusive fix.

The spec and colour I wanted was available, it had the cruise pack though which I never really looked in to. Turns out that I really hate the cruise control with radar (MRCC). I can not use it on the autobahn here, it is dangerous in many ways, brakes are applied when passing trucks, brakes apply when passing cars that are driving on the slip road etc etc. The radar control can be disabled in the US model, so far I can not find a way to disable this on the Euro model, there is a CX5 meet in Germany soon, they are going to ask around and check if someone knows.

I got a cracking deal on my new car. A discount for sticking with Mazda, additional discount for sticking with a CX5 model and the offer on my old car was higher that expected. The interest rate was very low and keeping a CX5 means less hassle buying new winter alloys.

That being said, if I look now, I see I can get a Leon 1.8T, DSG, Xperience, brand new with plenty extras for 6000 less than the CX5 which seems pretty amazing.

I am more active on the German forum and check the Austrian and Oz forum. I keep an eye on the UK forum posted by Xtrailman but have never registered but will do in the near future.

Last edited:
I have only had the 175 so don't find the gearing a problem, except on the motorway I think a higher gear would be useful, running over 2K isn't necessary with the diesel.
Mine will happily tow at 1500 rpm, and drive solo happily at 1250 rpm.

Maybe the newer cars are higher geared? At 50mph my car will always be in 6th gear unless hill climbing, 40mph its usually in 5th.
The gear change indicator often tells me to change up earlier than I would with out it, but that's for economy not performance.

Does the leon have AWD? my son test drove a leon but preferred and bought a Mazda 3, despite me telling him the leon always beat the petrol mazda 3 in group tests.

The X-Perienc model is AWD, it has the slightly higher ride height too. This is the estate version, I don't think there is a AWD hatchback. I guess it is also a UK model but sometime we have a bigger selection (like with the CX5 too).

Interesting comment on the gearing, maybe they changed it. I'm pretty sure my gear indicator suggests 4th only once I touch 30mph, maybe there is a difference.

Next time you are out, set your cruise to 30mph indicated and 4th gear and 50mph 6th gear and tell me what your rpm is. I really can't remember right now, will check when I pop out later.

See here...this one is 5 mins down the road from me.

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/seat...&sort=km_asc&st=2&vehtyp=10&yearfrom=2015&r=5

Some pretty mixed reviews on the new CX5 then.

I'll maybe see if I can get one for a day or two to test drive it, play about with the sat nav, check it for rattles, see what mpg it does.

There's a Hyundai dealer not too far from me so I'll maybe have a drive in the Tucson when I get a chance, although on the Hyundai website when you spec it up with all the added gadgetry it is around the 33k mark which is the same as the CX5 with all the same items (sat nav, aircon, safety pack etc etc).

Tucson. Yes that's correct, also if you check the emissions and fuel figures the 182? does not show well in auto against the CX-5.
Its heavier which blunts performance, and the auto is only 6 speed unless you buy the petrol which is 7.

But do have a drive. The Tucson has a full sized spare alloy with loads 0f room around it for storage, the boot is also noticeable bigger.
The sat nav is 8" with decent graphics, and the car is easily the best looking SUV I've seen, only those oversized wheel arc protectors and some naff plastics on the dash let the car down. But it does come with a 5 year warranty.

The dealer also isn't discounting much. I found the nearest model for me was the next to top version, but that car comes on 45 profile tyres which I have zero interest in, the lower model has decent tyres which is the one I drove.

In Austrialia the Tucson has beaten the cx-5 in all three utube videos I've seen, so it can't be bad, it just didn't compete on change over price.

Last edited:
You should also consider the new HRV and the DS4 Crossback.

Avoid the auto HRV though.

The Crossback will have a nice turbo 1.6 petrol if you want to get away from diesel, it's auto only though but that might suit you. I can already configure the DS4 Crossback online, not sure if it's possible in the Uk.

Telegraph cars have a new review of the HRV, Crossback is coming in Nov I think?

When I first had the update mpg and performance went up, or I felt like it had.
Its now settled to around 42mpg locally which is about what I expected before the upgrade, performance has always been good but they are plenty of faster cars out there.

For anyone interested I've been in contact with mazda re the service package on a new cx-5.
Mazda cs confirm the price at 300 which does include three services, its subsidised by Mazda, I'll be going for it.

Can anyone recommend a good GAP insurance company?

Hello xtrailman, yes, still pop across to this forum occasionally to see how CX5 owners are getting on. Must admit I have only seen two of the face lifted models since they were launched, don't know why that should be.....and yes, given my wife's experiences with her Hyundai I30 I would seriously consider a Tuscon if I were in the market for such.

As regards GAP insurance, I would suggest you try ALA (ala.co.uk). I have used them three times now, have always found them to be competitive with good cover, rated 5 star by Defacto though I can't comment on making a claim, thankfully. Worth a look.

Still very happy with the BMW 3GT and still averaging around 55mpg without any bother, together with the 30 road tax and 5 year service plan it's costing less to run than the CX5 did 😄

Thanks Perusal Ala is one of two I have short listed.

I was really keen on trying a X1 but the 227bhp? version I fancied with the extras I wanted was around 36K which is getting a bit silly considering the poor residuals forecast.
I don't see how they can predict poor residuals just because the old model was, but that car never got good reviews.

It was only the high residuals and stonking value to change that has kept me in a Mazda, not that its not a good car I enjoy driving it.

After a lot of test drives and searching I've settled on a CRV 1.6 diesel 4wd 9 speed automatic 158bhp. My local dealer has an ex demo with 3000 miles, June 2015 which I've done a deal for.

When I tested one in 2013 it was the 2.2.
I liked the car and only bought the CX-5 because I use it for towing, reports of the 1.6 engine report its on the weak side, losing speed on hills towing compared to the old 2.2.

Despite the power and torque figures being about the same, and although I thought the 9 speed auto was tempting the power unit wasn't, I would expect the new CRV will be ample for solo driving.

Lets us know how you go on with it.

When I tested one in 2013 it was the 2.2.
I liked the car and only bought the CX-5 because I use it for towing, reports of the 1.6 engine report its on the weak side, losing speed on hills towing compared to the old 2.2.

Despite the power and torque figures being about the same, and although I thought the 9 speed auto was tempting the power unit wasn't, I would expect the new CRV will be ample for solo driving.

Lets us know how you go on with it.

I'll let you know how it goes. I don't do a lot of towing, just a 750kg trailer so don't think I should notice any issues with it.

Can't make mind up

Hi new Brit here - I've had a cx5 2.2d sport (non nav) fwd as company car for coming up to 3 years - have to swap it and trying to decide between the updated cx5 either 2.2d sport fwd again, the Awd 175 sport, Land Rover disco sport or Mitsubishi outlander phev - I really like the land rover but it's a lot more money, whilst the phev is a big saving but I can't have the top spec one ..... Any thoughts?

I Have been pleased with the Mazda apart from needing new windscreen and a few electrical issues it's been good - my serious concern is availability of tyres though as I'm restricted to using kwik fit and they have always had problems getting replacements and I have gone through a few sets - at the moment I've ended up with cheaper Nankangs and they are a bit skittish in rain

Last edited:
Welcome!

I have owned the 150ps and now own the 175ps.

Don't buy the 175ps because you want the higher power only, buy it if you want something that comes with that version ie. bigger alloys, leather etc.

I find the engines are near enough identical, the gearing on the 175ps is much longer and doesn't suit the manual box as much, the revs are very low in town resulting in a little bit more lag. I think the gearing difference is due to the engine power outputs, it may be a change between the old model and the new model. If you are looking at an automatic then maybe this isn't a big deal.

If I had a choice now I would go for the 150ps again but I like the leather so I went with that.

Welcome!

I have owned the 150ps and now own the 175ps.

Don't buy the 175ps because you want the higher power only, buy it if you want something that comes with that version ie. bigger alloys, leather etc.

I find the engines are near enough identical, the gearing on the 175ps is much longer and doesn't suit the manual box as much, the revs are very low in town resulting in a little bit more lag. I think the gearing difference is due to the engine power outputs, it may be a change between the old model and the new model. If you are looking at an automatic then maybe this isn't a big deal.

If I had a choice now I would go for the 150ps again but I like the leather so I went with that.

Hi and thanks for the info. I'm only interested in the manual on the Mazda and thinking of the Awd which to have the top spec sport model, if I've read the list right, I have to have the 175 .... I'm not that bothered about the drive around town but can I ask how is the gearing ratio for overtaking say if already doing 40 to 50 mph? I have the 150 now and whilst not as good as previous two cars (bmw 320d and seat Leon Fr Diesel) in that respect it's better than I expected for this sort of car.

My reservation over having another one is tyres ..... But am seeing increasing numbers of cx5s about so guessing it will improve

Bmw 3 series 2L is around 190ps and is faster, the cx-5 actually had more torque over a wider band when first released, but since the last engine remap the BMW now has 400 nm over a lower band than the cx-5, but the mazda goes slightly higher up the range.

The 175ps engine only peaks at 420nm. It still has a lot more torque from 1500rpm than the 150ps engine, up to 1500rpm the torque is identical.

If you want speed go for the X1 with around 227ps from memory it also has stonking torque from a max at 1500rpm. 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. But even the 190 is quicker than the cx-5 175. the car is around 50kg lighter with out extras.

I find the gearing in the 175 CX-5 manual excellent with plenty of acceleration, when I get the chance I'll get the wife to write some RPM versus speed figures down, other wise I just forget them, the car pulls happily from 1250rpm with just me in and a boot full of fishing equipment.

Only thing it lacks for me is a 7th gear as the engine is over 2K revs at 70mph, best economy is below 2K revs, which is why the cx-5 is poor on the motorway, 40mpg if your lucky.

Replacement tyres haven't been a problem for some time now, and are a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Hi Xtrailman,

Thanks for the detailed info, what you are saying about the 175 sounds good. I looked at BMWs last weekend - I instantly discounted the x1 as too small so I didn't really look at one - I did look at the x3, x4 and 5 series (x5 is out of my bracket) - I really liked the x3 (though prefer the LR Disco sport in direct comparison) but unfortunately there is less rear legroom than the CX5 (something really good about the Mazda). I'm 6ft 3 and have my seat right back and I've twins (boys) that are getting taller by the minute and will be taller than me no doubt at some point and we need the comfort for regular long drives to Cornwall and Scotland etc.

the cx-5 is poor on the motorway, 40mpg if your lucky. Replacement tyres haven't been a problem for some time now, and are a lot cheaper.

I wouldn't say that I'm not bothered by the mpg but my experience of my Cx5 150 means that I take no notice of official figures - if I moderate my driving style on A roads I can get over 50 mpg but then get bored and revert to my normal driving style (like I've stolen it!) and I routinely do over 200 motorway miles every week (which is probably why I've had no DPF problem in over 60,000 miles) - I've left the roof bars on so that knocks a couple of MPG off and I'm averaging about 38 mpg. I know I should take them off to save fuel but it was a 'result' to find that the CX5 has exactly the same roof fitting as my BMW 3 series had so I saved there .... I'm presuming the updated model cx5 has the same roof fastenings?

As for the tyres I've still had recent problems. I'm on my fourth set (I'm on the larger 19" size) and only four months ago I had a puncture and ended up having to have a hire car for two days while Kwik Fit sourced a replacement. I know the mazda dealer I use for servicing has them in stock but unfortunately as its a company car through a lease company I have to use Kwik Fit for tyres and brakes...... Brakes is something else that took an extra day to get. But then again that is better than the Mazda dealer who had my car over a week after a recall on a vacuum seal or something. I seriously worry what would happen if I had a puncture hundreds of miles away on a business trip (I have no faith in the puncture repair kit .... I know I could buy a spare wheel or space saver but I have never wanted to as its a company car).

Cheers again

The gearing is fine, I just notice a difference from the 150ps and I don't really see why they changed it. Acceleration is absolutely fine, it pulls well from 50mph in 5th or 6th. I really have never thought it needed a 7th gear, I cruise at over 70mph a lot, I set my cruise for 129 kph which gives me 78mph actual which is allowed here in Switzerland. In France I set it for 86mph and never feel the need for 7th either.

In Germany I set it to 100mph and it cruises easily, you still get passed by 50% of the cars on the road at this speed. Max speed is achieved in 5th in the CX5, 6th is too long so I doubt they would put a 7th gear in, it wouldn't please the Germans!

This was my 150ps, I need to check the revs at this speed in the 175ps when I am in Germany in a few weeks.

The reason for the extra gears is economy, which is why BMW use a 8 speed in some of their cars.
CRV with 9 gears is only at around 1300 rpm at 70mph from memory. Mines around 35mph per thousand revs.

There must be a way of calculating the rpm at 70mph using the ratios provided in the brochure but I have no idea how it done.

Latest posts

Back