How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Great 65 is a better deal than 150, from what you have said I think the new car is worth test driving, when I get round to it.

Interesting call with Mazda UK. They referred me back to my dealer for the coming home/leaving lights.

Regarding the manual they said new literature, owner manuals and the website change will go out after the official release on the 1st of April.

Thats a bad call on Mazdas part in my opinion. I work in the national transport centre for a multinational company. We have over 4000 cars (Vauxhall, Audi, BMW) with electronic parking brakes and on average we get 5 a month where someone has forgotten to engage/thought they had engaged the parking brake - and that's with the full manual and us telling them how it works.

Not the best customer service on Mazdas part especially for new owners moving over from different brands/models.

Called the dealer as suggested by Mazda UK, and they were very helpful on 3 counts.

1. The correct manual for the 2015 vehicle was available for me to collect, which i did today (Tuesday).

2. The coming/leaving home light function requires the lights to be set to the ON setting, not Automatic and then the lights need to be flashed before you leave the vehicle for them to stay on. Sounds long winded, ridiculous and leaves you with a choice: Auto lights or coming/leaving home lights. Plus could lead to a real serious misunderstanding if you're out for an evening stroll in the country side! More on this later as i've got the manual and will try when it's dark.

3. BUT there will be a software patch for the vehicle to make use of the coming/leaving home light feature more straightforward in the near future - but how the original functionality made it out of testing is beyond me. There should have been a non-engineering person doing a common sense check to ask is that straightforward enough? No sign of this yet.

Last edited:
A - Thanks for the pictures and the feedback. I'm glad you are enjoying the car.

How are you finding the electronic handbrake, is it easy to use?

My car (Pearl White 2.2D Sport Nav 2wd) is due in to the dealership on 25th March and I'll collect it shortly after - not long to wait now!

Hi Skippa the electronic parking brake is really easy to use, but i've had experience with them before in our Vauxhall fleet vehicles.

It's alot quieter and smoother than the Vauxhall equivelant, although the instrument console light for it is a little too low down and easily obscured by the steering wheel.

As a pleasing bonus all of the window switches are now illuminated, including the bank of 4 on the drivers door. From memory only the driver door one was illuminated.

Haven't been here for a while, but have come on for a rant.....

A couple of months ago my rear passenger side brakes started making a terrible squealing noise... took it to the Mazda dealer and the caliper had stuck, therefore the brakes were stuck on and had worn right down. The replaced the discs and pads and either fixed or replaced (I can't remember which) the dodgy caliper.

Yesterday after driving for approx 30 mins I parked outside a restaurant for lunch and noticed a lot of smoke coming from the rear brakes on the drivers side.... there really was a lot of it, I was worried the thing was about to burst into flames it was that bad. I went in for lunch and phoned the Mazda dealer, he reckoned the handbrake must have been stuck on, so I drove back and forwards until it released, then I drove about an hour to the dealer, he looked at it, adjusted the hand brake and said it was fixed.

Today, on my way home from work, warning lights and messages started flashing on the instrument panel... "engine inspection required", "scbs inspection required", "tmp inspection required"... also the read out of gear selection went blank.... I pulled in, restarted the car and it still says all the same things, along with 4 warning lights permanently on..... Tomorrow I will have to take yet another trip to the Mazda dealer to get this sorted.

Wish I had never bought this car, bought it new in Jan 2013, it has just under 30,000 miles on it, has been in and out of the garage on a regular basis for faults and issues since new. I would definitely recommend to anyone thinking of buying a Mazda to quickly run away and buy something else. If I sell the car now I will lose a lot of money on it, so am currently weighing up my options.... I don't want the car past this Xmas as it will be out of warranty and will therefore cost a fortune to fix every time something goes wrong.

Rant over... for now.

Anyone got any idea why all the lights and inspection messages have appeared along with the disappearance of the gear notification light?

Last time I had a lemon was in the 80's a mini metro 1300s, I had to sell it after 2.5 years, my advice is to get rid quick.

I presume you have had the software and pressure sensor upgrade done? Before I had these done I had the same symptoms you describe. My problem with the car isn't so much the many trips I had to the dealer initially, it was the arrogant and totally inept dealers I dealt with. I once went for a tsb fix but I gave up explaining what a tsb was. My wife uses the car and is quite shocked by the loud clunking when driving over a small kerb, I'm sure this is the torque of some nuts that is too low, explained to two dealers....blank look! Car has a year lease left and one week warranty still, Will add the additional two year warranty then change it immediately before it runs out. Luckily you don't understand german and can read the horror stories with the Diesel engines there!

Last time I had a lemon was in the 80's a mini metro 1300s, I had to sell it after 2.5 years, my advice is to get rid quick.

Once a car starts to go bad I lose all faith in it and then it will annoy me until I get rid of it, so I will probably get rid of it before the warranty expires. I like spec's and gadgets so I might look at the Volvo XC60 as it seems to come well spec'd.

I presume you have had the software and pressure sensor upgrade done? Before I had these done I had the same symptoms you describe. My problem with the car isn't so much the many trips I had to the dealer initially, it was the arrogant and totally inept dealers I dealt with. I once went for a tsb fix but I gave up explaining what a tsb was. My wife uses the car and is quite shocked by the loud clunking when driving over a small kerb, I'm sure this is the torque of some nuts that is too low, explained to two dealers....blank look! Car has a year lease left and one week warranty still, Will add the additional two year warranty then change it immediately before it runs out. Luckily you don't understand german and can read the horror stories with the Diesel engines there!

I did German at school, but luckily that was some time ago and I've forgotten most of it.
I'm not sure if there has been a software upgrade done or not, but I suspect there has been as it has been recalled quite a few times for upgrades / fixes....... Will find out tomorrow.

Often the warning lights are overkill for a simple problem, fingers crossed. What are you thinking of buying next? I'm already looking around, even though I have two years to wait.

Often the warning lights are overkill for a simple problem, fingers crossed. What are you thinking of buying next? I'm already looking around, even though I have two years to wait.

So many cars to choose from.... Perhaps the Volvo XC60, Toyota Rav 4 or Range Rover Evogue.... I like gadgets, spec and technology, so will be lead by them, with fuel consumption an important second place.

I would advise a test drive in the X3, I liked it but not the low rent interior.
The XC-60 was ok to drive but not really doing it for me, the CRV was also a good car.

Not had any recalls for my car?

So you are sticking to an SUV style, why are you not considering an estate like the Skoda VRS, Leon ST etc, just interested! I am not sure what body style to choose in future, humming and hawing between SUV and estate.

I like the SUV style, so will likely stick with it, I also like the 4 wheel drive for the few days we have snow. My last car was a Volvo C70, it was a great car, but atrocious in the snow.

Xtrailman - recalls is maybe the wrong description, but on numerous of occasions when my car has been in to get serviced / fixed, they have carried out additional works as requested by Mazda. There have however been a couple of pure recalls, they were a while ago, but I seem to remember one was for something to do with sensors in the exhaust, and another was to do with oil levels.

Yes those two where for the early models, which also had lots of rattles squeaks, shaking mirrors and bonnets.

I've had a flat battery and failed to connect to live services until the tomtom mod, also had a compatible phone fail to connect every time which was really annoying. Apart from that nothing.

I do wonder if they did carry out some mod on my first service secretly, because my mpg dropped from 43mpg locally to around 41mpg. But I can still show 55mpg on a run IF I don't get a regen.

Just had a thought early cars in Australia are having engine cam failures, and wonder if those dash lights may be related, anyway another reason to get rid IMO.

Last edited:
Haven't been here for a while, but have come on for a rant.....

If I sell the car now I will lose a lot of money on it, so am currently weighing up my options....

Not necessarily! I recently traded my CX5 for a BMW 3GT and was very pleasantly surprised by the trade in value. My car spec was rather different to yours, May 13, 2.2D SE-L Nav in Crystal White with 18000 miles on the clock. List price new was circa 24K on the road. At 21 months old I achieved a part-ex value of 17K so I had 'lost' 7K in 21 months. Webuyanycar offered 16K and Wewantanycar 16,895 so I used this latter figure to push for 17K. My previous car, a Jaguar XF 3.0D Luxury went after 31 months and dropped 19K in comparison.

There is reasonable second hand demand for CX5s.....look on the Whatcar website and you will see it is one of the most searched for cars.

You could do as I did and get a couple of quotes from the car buying sites, it will give you an idea of your value and whilst you will obviously have lost a sizeable amount it may not be as much as you think....

How are you finding the BMW Perusal, I'm especially interested in the 8 speed auto.

Ok, first things first, my car is a 6 speed manual so cannot comment on the auto box.

However, I am loving the rest of the car. Mileage has varied from 46 mpg to 67 on one occasion. Overall though just running around I'm easily doing 52-56 and that's without using the EcoPro (which I'm not altogether convinced about). Last week 4 adults, a large dog and a boot full of luggage we covered about 650 miles over to, and around S. Wales. Overall we managed 49 mpg including the run there and back at what might best be described as lane 3 speeds 😉. Very comfortable, loads of legroom, my back seat passengers commented on how comfortable the seats were. Boot space, allegedly bigger than the CX is not as practical but with the parcel shelf stowed is still very good.
Engine wise, the CX is more refined at lower speeds when cold but there's nothing in it once the engine has warmed. However you would need a larger engine (mine is the 2.0 litre 318) since the torque for your caravan would be insufficient.
Overall however, very, very pleased. Same road tax as the CX (30) and insurance is only an extra 30 per year too but that's more than countered by the BMW variable servicing intervals (and my car came with a 5 year service pack anyway)
Happy days.......(but still like the CX)

Back