How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

I used to get 43mpg now I'm lucky to get 41mpg, all since the last service? that was in July. Also getting oil rise again its around 8mm above the full mark, not really impressed with this to be honest.

I like the car but I don't think oil rise is acceptable on a modern car.

At this stage I'm not sure if another Mazda is on my list. Did you have any oil rise on your last CX?
Also did you get a good discount, I would be looking for at least 2.5K to be tempted to upgrade, but then I think of the satnav traffic that I believe you still pay for after a free trial. Never paid for traffic with two Xtrails.

Still a positive report which is good for residuals, anyone else noticed how the CX is largely ignored now by the car mags?

PS still had not recall for the brakes, is it only certain VIN numbers affected?

Last edited:
PS still had not recall for the brakes, is it only certain VIN numbers affected?
This is the letter I received with my reg: No: and Vin No: on top.
During routine quality checks it has been found that a number of Mazda6, Mazda3 & CX-5 vehicles fitted with the 2.2 diesel engine may experience an unusual brake pedal feeling. This can occur when the brake pedal has been depressed several times over a short period of time.
As your vehicle is in the affected vehicle range we ask that you contact your local Mazda dealer as soon as possible in order that arrangements can be made for the brake system vacuum pump to be checked and if necessary replaced. In addition to this work the engine oil will be changed and a modified oil filter fitted. This work will be carried out free of charge and should take approximately 2 hours to carry out if the vacuum pump needs to be replaced.

This is the letter I received with my reg: No: and Vin No: on top.
During routine quality checks it has been found that a number of Mazda6, Mazda3 & CX-5 vehicles fitted with the 2.2 diesel engine may experience an unusual brake pedal feeling. This can occur when the brake pedal has been depressed several times over a short period of time.
As your vehicle is in the affected vehicle range we ask that you contact your local Mazda dealer as soon as possible in order that arrangements can be made for the brake system vacuum pump to be checked and if necessary replaced. In addition to this work the engine oil will be changed and a modified oil filter fitted. This work will be carried out free of charge and should take approximately 2 hours to carry out if the vacuum pump needs to be replaced.
What month and year is yours then? Is it an early one? I wonder if this is linked to the camshaft wear and oil dilution as that often affected the brake vacuum pump, highlighted on the ozzie whirlpool forum.

I bought one a few months ago from a Mazda dealer. It was in 2 parts- a colour coat and a seal coat, each in a small container with a brush. I was pleasantly surprised when it cost, on memory, about 4 for both.

I bought from a car paint supplier on ebay for 2.50. It arrived today, so will try it out tomorrow weather permitting. Yours at 4 from a Mazda dealer sounds like a bargain.

What month and year is yours then? Is it an early one? I wonder if this is linked to the camshaft wear and oil dilution as that often affected the brake vacuum pump, highlighted on the ozzie whirlpool forum.

I took delivery July 2013

May 2013 after 4 months worthwhile wait.

Mine was registered end of June 2013 so looks like i may get a letter also. If an oil change/modified filter is included with the work i wonder if it could be done at the second service and we wont have to pay for the oil change part of the service, which should be most of the service cost.

ohh yea you will get the letter..<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://lovesmileys.com/f/4/000000-0.8.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://lovesmileys.com/f/4/000000-0.8.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object> :)

Mine is going in for the brake/oil change issues on Tuesday. Mine is almost ready for the 37500 mile service so I asked the garage whether the oil would need changing again and they said no, so there will be a saving there. It was registered October 2012 - one of the early ones I think.

It is due to be returned (lease car) soon and I am wondering whether to get another. I had a sneak preview of the facelift model about a month ago and it looks great, especially in the new dark blue paint with the stone coloured leather, but I had so many niggles early on I don't know if I want another one. It has almost been the best and worst car I've had in a long time.

My 2013 has never had a rattle, mirror shake or bonnet shake, I honestly believe it was only the early cars that had the most issues.

All I've had was a fail to start at home which I sorted myself with the power pack, alternator wasn't charging the battery, and LIVE services only worked part time. And oil rise along with the reduced mpg since last service.

I understand what you are saying because I feel the same, but for me the engine delivers what I want for towing, if Mazda gave the engine a small power and torque increase I would certainly buy another.

Re the Brakes Recall, certain VIN Plates. Mine was made June 2012, but I held back until Sept 2012 for the new plate. I haven't heard from my dealer.

Can I ask you guys who have had such notification, can you look at the date label at the bottom of the drivers seat belt and advise.

Alex

I thought i'd give a 1 month update on my 2015 upgrade.

So far it's been very smooth sailing. The interior is a much welcome change and upgrade. Other people i've had in the car have commented on how well it appears and feels.

A 20 month old toddler plus the white leather is a nightmare, but a baby seat protector and being cautious with food in the car has minimised any potential staining.

The MZD Connect system is working well. I finally managed to get it to connect to the hotspot generated by my phone. Local search, weather etc... work well but i've yet to see any traffic information although i've not connected during rush hour. To be honest this bit is a bit of a faf, and one area where the TomTom was ahead (when Live services worked).

I've got a 32Gb SanDisk Cruzer with about 1000 Mp3s on it plugged into one of the USB ports. No issues with playback so far, and menu navigation is much smoother and easier than the NB-1.

Bluetooth works well for calls and music streaming.

The SatNav is a mixed bag. The screen is much clearer and easier to read, reviewing alternative routes is much easier/better. The voice navigation is a bit of a mis-mash though, seems part American english (highway) part true english. The bad news is that the SatNav apparently crashed twice while i was in an area of poor GPS coverage. The SatNav screen went blank, and i have to select Music then back to Nav for it to resume. To be fair the NB-1 crashed once or twice on me as well.

The driving bit of the car, the important bit, is interesting. I spend 80% of my time in urban traffic, with the remainder on A roads and motorways. MPG at the moment, after the cars first long distance run, is 35.8mpg. This i'm really pleased with, as it's 76% of the Mazda quoted MPG. I was getting 45 with the diesel SE-L (73% of Mazdas far fetched claims).

The other positives are the handling and noise with the petrol are vastly superior compared to the diesel. However the big downside is the total lack of power on big hills, and here i can see why the Americans kicked off so much about the initial launch option of a 2 litre petrol engine only.

With a fully loaded diesel i had no issues with overtaking anywhere, especially hills. With the petrol it's a struggle even on the level on occasions. Once up to speed it's fine, but it's getting there that takes forever. A 2.5 litre option would be preferable, until it came to renewing the RFL :(

i-Stop seems more attentive in the new car, but i don't know whether thats the petrol engine or software improvements. It cuts in 99% of the time when i'm stopped, whereas with the diesel it was 75% max, but i was doing shortish journeys.

Cruise control is better than the old model, but only marginally. With Fords/vauxhalls the car would keep to the set speed with a combination of engine, fuel and brake management. In the CX-5 it appears limited to engine and fuel management which is fine up hill, but the cruise control is lacking any kind of control downhill. As i've observed this in 2 separate Mazdas i can only assume it's a generic Mazda failing.

The only other downside is that the tracking appears to be off. Same roads as with the old car with no tracking issue, and after a month with the new car the wheel alignment is out.

Thank you for the 'test' comments, really good, please keep them coming!

I like the styling changes on the Mk 2 and the upgrades appear to address some of the faults on the Mk 1, so I will be taking a closer look at a swap soon.

I have a Sport Nav diesel but only 8 months old so maybe it'll be too costly to swap. But I'm pleased with it all the same, it's not perfect but it does everything I need well and the initially disappointing fuel consumption is climbing slowly.

The latest visit to dealer was to change a faulty tyre pressure sensor that triggered a warning on the system. The pressure has not moved but the sensor was wonky. Apparently, it was 'over-sensitive'!! They are expensive beasties and dealer had to e-mail HQ to get permission to install new under warranty, it was granted quickly but I would have gone bananas if they tried to charge me anyway as I took the extended warranty / service package on delivery.

Looking at a CX 3 for No 1 son; if it's as good as the 5 then I'm hoping it will make a suitable car for him.

Safe miles!

Useful feedback on the 2015 model. Thanks. I do like the improved interior.

My Sport Nav Diesel is just over a year old so no chance of me swapping for a new one for some time, especially as my current one is pretty much problem free. I may have the same issue with an over-sensitive tyre pressure monitor as Chris as just stated. I frequently get a warning about tyre pressures and when I check them there is absolutely nothing wrong and it has nothing to do with the tyre pressure maintenance intervals I've chosen.

Only now.....after a year..........getting the hang of the voice commands and find that its much simpler to use them that faffing about with the rotary controller trying to find the music I want to play.

Had my first service back in January - 191. Which was about what I was expecting. Getting about 44 mpg which seems about par for the course.

Hi Mountkeen, when the tyre monitor flashed a warning, I checked every tyre pressure, all good, so I tried to re-set the system but it would not re-set and clear the warning. That's when the dealer got involved. So if you can re-set after a check, you are ok, otherwise get it checked under warranty.

I don't use the rotary control at all and voice commands only occasionally. I had a very good system in a Tiguan I had but that was over 1,600 quid! But the tomtom in the CX is enough for what I need as I only use it as a back up to a paper map. When I do need to pin-point a specific location, it's very good and I do like the LIVE service, so I renewed it after the free trail; think it was 45 quid for 12 m.

Has anyone looked at a software upgrade to boost performance at all? I know about the warranty invalidation etc but it would be nice to have circa 200 bhp available.

Hi Mountkeen, when the tyre monitor flashed a warning, I checked every tyre pressure, all good, so I tried to re-set the system but it would not re-set and clear the warning. That's when the dealer got involved. So if you can re-set after a check, you are ok, otherwise get it checked under warranty.

Tyre pressure can be reset after a check. It normally involves changing the maintenance interval to a different value then changing back again.

Tyre pressure can be reset after a check. It normally involves changing the maintenance interval to a different value then changing back again.

Ah OK, that may be the trick then. I followed the manual anyway and it failed to re-set. The dealer confirmed that they had to replace a part so I guess it must have been faulty.

Not sure if the TPS links into the ABS, don't know how the techy bits work I'm afraid. From my limited knowledge, I don't think so as ABS measures wheel rotation speed?

From the manual

"The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all four
wheels. If the air pressure of one or more tyres is too low, the system warns the driver by
indicating the tyre pressure monitoring system warning light in the instrument cluster
(the warning is also indicated in the display on the type A instrument cluster) and
operating a beep sound. The system monitors the tyre pressures indirectly using the data
sent from the ABS wheel speed sensors.

To allow the system to operate correctly, the system needs to be initialized with the
specified tyre pressure (value on the tyre pressure label). Follow the procedure and
perform the initialization.
l For vehicles with the type A instrument cluster, check the vehicle condition or have the
vehicle inspected at an expert repairer, we recommend an Authorised Mazda Repairer
according to the indication.
l A system malfunction or operation conditions are indicated by a warning.
Refer to Warning/Indicator Lights on page 4-35.
Refer to Tyre Inflation Pressure Warning Beep on page 7-46."

What's the maintenance interval got to do with the TPMS working?

TPMS woes

From the manual

"The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all four
wheels. If the air pressure of one or more tyres is too low, the system warns the driver by
indicating the tyre pressure monitoring system warning light in the instrument cluster
(the warning is also indicated in the display on the type A instrument cluster) and
operating a beep sound. The system monitors the tyre pressures indirectly using the data
sent from the ABS wheel speed sensors.

To allow the system to operate correctly, the system needs to be initialized with the
specified tyre pressure (value on the tyre pressure label). Follow the procedure and
perform the initialization.
l For vehicles with the type A instrument cluster, check the vehicle condition or have the
vehicle inspected at an expert repairer, we recommend an Authorised Mazda Repairer
according to the indication.
l A system malfunction or operation conditions are indicated by a warning.
Refer to Warning/Indicator Lights on page 4-35.
Refer to Tyre Inflation Pressure Warning Beep on page 7-46."

What's the maintenance interval got to do with the TPMS working?

Ahhhh! Thanks XTman. So that's why the 'sensor' was so expensive and needed HQ permission to replace then.

ROOFRAILS

BTW, I'd like to fit roofrails to the CX5 but Mazda don't sell in UK as a stock item. I found an US site that sells OE rails for their US models (and they look as tho they will fit) but when I tried to order, they would not 'ship outside UK'. Anybody found a reliable source of quality rails to fit UK CX5s please??

Latest posts

Back