How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

If you select the nav screen then settings, select night button on the bottom, and you can adjust the brightness for the night mode, mine is on the max position.

Its not bright enough but its better, I also selected a different colour to the default setting, which helped a little.

regarding the ride I find it an excellent compromise on the 19" wheels, although I do try to avoid pot holes etc if I can, compared to a Audi sports suspension its soft!
Have you tried increasing the air pressure, I run my 19" with 36psi front and rear, I suppose I should think about reducing the rears now the caravan is winterised.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum - a Brit living in France and I bought my CX-5 here in September as a replacement for a BMW X1.

I'm generally very pleased with the quality and spec of the car, apart from a few gripes with the satnav which I've reported on the TomTom website.

I completely agree with your comment on the dashboard lighting. The other day I was driving in fog for the first time and had to switch on the headlights ( I normally keep them on auto). The dashboard automatically dimmed so dark that nothing on the screen was visible. I don't recall this ever happening with other cars I've had - the screen brightness always seemed to be controlled by a light sensor rather than the headlight switch. Maybe there's a setting to stop this happening?

I'm also not getting great fuel consumption, which appears to be a common complaint on the forum. Over 2000 miles of extra-urban motoring (there's not much traffic around where I live) I'm averaging about 39 mpg. hopefully this will improve as the mileage increases.

My only real gripe relates to the Bluetooth phone connection. I can't get the phonebook to download to the car, but this is probably a phone problem (Nexus 4) rather than a Mazda one, as I had no problem when I tried with my old Blackberry.

Having driven BMWs for many years, I'm generally very happy with the CX-5. I've no real experience of the dealer service in France because I've not yet had any problems needing attention, but only time will tell!

On a general point, the model specification is slightly different in France from the UK. On my car the safety pack and sunroof were standard, but no locking wheel nuts! I also need to check out the spare wheel situation.

Great forum, and an invaluable source of information for new owners.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum - a Brit living in France and I bought my CX-5 here in September as a replacement for a BMW X1.

I'm generally very pleased with the quality and spec of the car, apart from a few gripes with the satnav which I've reported on the TomTom website.

I completely agree with your comment on the dashboard lighting. The other day I was driving in fog for the first time and had to switch on the headlights ( I normally keep them on auto). The dashboard automatically dimmed so dark that nothing on the screen was visible. I don't recall this ever happening with other cars I've had - the screen brightness always seemed to be controlled by a light sensor rather than the headlight switch. Maybe there's a setting to stop this happening?

I'm also not getting great fuel consumption, which appears to be a common complaint on the forum. Over 2000 miles of extra-urban motoring (there's not much traffic around where I live) I'm averaging about 39 mpg. hopefully this will improve as the mileage increases.

My only real gripe relates to the Bluetooth phone connection. I can't get the phonebook to download to the car, but this is probably a phone problem (Nexus 4) rather than a Mazda one, as I had no problem when I tried with my old Blackberry.

Having driven BMWs for many years, I'm generally very happy with the CX-5. I've no real experience of the dealer service in France because I've not yet had any problems needing attention, but only time will tell!

On a general point, the model specification is slightly different in France from the UK. On my car the safety pack and sunroof were standard, but no locking wheel nuts! I also need to check out the spare wheel situation.

Great forum, and an invaluable source of information for new owners.
You have to have your phone set up to use the phone book on the phone itself and not on the Sim. Try it, it might be that.

You have to have your phone set up to use the phone book on the phone itself and not on the Sim. Try it, it might be that.

Thanks Applauso. I've already checked that all contacts are on the phone and not the sim, but still no luck. It seems to be a problem with some android phones. There was a recent software update from Google and I'd hoped that this would fix the problem but nothing changed.

It's a bit frustrating, but at least I can make and receive calls. And it's still a great car!

Many thanks - I'll try the solutions as soon as I can and let you know how I get on.

Success! I still wasn't able to transfer contacts to the car individually, so I downloaded the trial version of the Bluetooth Phonebook app mentioned in your link. I then reconnected the phone (without even re-pairing), overwrote the car phonebook and Bingo! - all contacts were visible.

I downloaded the full version of the app and now have full functionality - contacts, messaging, call logs.

Many thanks for your help - and Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas your self, and everyone else.

Its good to see the forum has been of help.

Hi All! Newbie here but been reading the forums for a few months now!

Ordered a 2.2D AWD Sport Nav in in Crystal White Pearlescent with Safety Pack, DRL's, illuminated scuff plates, welcome illumination, boot light, Spare Wheel, boot liner, under garnish, luggage steel plates, bumper step plate, mud flaps front and rear, first aid kit, dog guard, luxury and standard floor matts(yes both!) and the ipad holder! All this for 28,725 OTR from Peterborough Mazda! Am so pleased with the price as we have got a huge discount that is not currently available to any other customer! Happy to explain this via pm to anyone interested!!

It arrives March 1st on a 14 plate but is swiftly being changed to a private CX54 LOU plate that I have got for it!

I have a couple of questions.

Is there a running in period and are there restrictions on how you can drive the car during that period?

Is it possible to fit the US spec Roof Rails to a UK spec car? If so where is best to obtain these?

Is it possible to connect a sub woofer to the existing digital amp?

What is the largest wheel size that will fit on the car? Is it 22x9.5? What affect would this have on the milometer?

Cannot wait for it to arrive on March 1st which is a saturday so me and the family will be taking it for a road trip straight from the dealers!!!

Merry Xmas everyone!

Davey

Last edited:
Almost forgot the paint and interior protection and gap insurance!!! Got that included in the price also!!!

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a good deal, i am sure you will love the car. There is no strict running in procedure as the cars are high geared and so 80mph will only be revving the engine at around 2200 revs, just keep the acceleration down a bit to start with although the engine is very free revving especially for a diesel. Do you have the 175 or the 150 diesel?
If you fit 22inch wheels you will need a very low profile tyre, to keep the overall diameter the same to keep speedo/milometer accurate, this will spoil the ride totally i would imagine.

Sounds like you have a good deal, i am sure you will love the car. There is no strict running in procedure as the cars are high geared and so 80mph will only be revving the engine at around 2200 revs, just keep the acceleration down a bit to start with although the engine is very free revving especially for a diesel. Do you have the 175 or the 150 diesel?
If you fit 22inch wheels you will need a very low profile tyre, to keep the overall diameter the same to keep speedo/milometer accurate, this will spoil the ride totally i would imagine.

Thanx for your reply! Your info re running in is very helpful! We have ordered the 175ps version! Top of the range and fully loaded! Literally cant wait!

I will probably buy some 20 or 22 inch rims and see how they feel! They will be chrome so only used in summer anyway! The car looks great on 22's!

Thanx for your reply! Your info re running in is very helpful! We have ordered the 175ps version! Top of the range and fully loaded! Literally cant wait!

I will probably buy some 20 or 22 inch rims and see how they feel! They will be chrome so only used in summer anyway! The car looks great on 22's!

Wheels Please Come on now! Its also Christmas and NOT the Holidays!(headshake

CX-5 deal

Hi All! Newbie here but been reading the forums for a few months now!

Ordered a 2.2D AWD Sport Nav in in Crystal White Pearlescent with Safety Pack, DRL's, illuminated scuff plates, welcome illumination, boot light, Spare Wheel, boot liner, under garnish, luggage steel plates, bumper step plate, mud flaps front and rear, first aid kit, dog guard, luxury and standard floor matts(yes both!) and the ipad holder! All this for 28,725 OTR from Peterborough Mazda! Am so pleased with the price as we have got a huge discount that is not currently available to any other customer! Happy to explain this via pm to anyone interested!!

It arrives March 1st on a 14 plate but is swiftly being changed to a private CX54 LOU plate that I have got for it!

I have a couple of questions.

Is there a running in period and are there restrictions on how you can drive the car during that period?

Is it possible to fit the US spec Roof Rails to a UK spec car? If so where is best to obtain these?

Is it possible to connect a sub woofer to the existing digital amp?

What is the largest wheel size that will fit on the car? Is it 22x9.5? What affect would this have on the milometer?

Cannot wait for it to arrive on March 1st which is a saturday so me and the family will be taking it for a road trip straight from the dealers!!!

Merry Xmas everyone!

Davey

Hi Davey,

Looks like we are getting similar Xmas presents! Mine a 175 S/Nav manual in dark blue with most of those extras (not a dog owner) for 25.5K inc 3-yr service pack. Not sure if that's bottom dollar but I'm happy with it. I've had my private plate for years but toyed with buying a CX theme for a while but decided against it.

I was also wondering about roof rails after seeing them on a Mazda247 thread showing the owner fitting them himself to his white CX and they look pretty good. They are a Mazda item but maybe only available in US? Anyway take a look at the thread and if you get any joy, let us know.

Be wary of 'biggest wheels' thing though, see how you go with the standard fit as they are optimised by Mazda for the car. If you want a cheaper 'custom' look, think about getting the wheels professionally powder-coated in white or matt black. My choice would be black as it would fill the arch on a white car but either would be cool.

Happy CXing!

I paid 26100 but without service and mats and flaps, in Feb 2013 discounts were hard to get, so yes you have a very good deal there, but there is a revised version on the horizon, probably the Mazda 3 sat nav will be one of them, so the rumour goes.

Hi xtrailman, thanks for the response. From what I can gather, I think my vehicle was a diesel ordered in error when customer wanted a petrol and dealer unable to return it so when I turned up as a cash buyer, they decided to cut losses and sell at that price rather than have it stood for a long time. It only arrived at dealer late Oct so it's not been standing long. They gave me the keys to go look at it when it was parked at the back of their stockpile and it started on the button.

I have seen many comments on the various satnav problems so am bracing myself for hassle but will insist that dealer sets it up with latest updates before I sign for it next few days. TBH I'm not a big user of satnav (map& wife work just fine!) but I do have a stand-alone Garmin I have used without problem for years. I was more interested in the audio upgrade / rev camera. I went in to look at a 150 Sport but was steered to the 175 (for obvious reasons) and loved it from the first test.

I have been using this multi-make dealer for almost 3 decades for my VWs & Suzukis (this my first Mazda) so they know I'm not a time-waster.

So, good to chat and I look forward to blogging in 2014.

Happy New Year to all 247ers!

Hi Davey,

Looks like we are getting similar Xmas presents! Mine a 175 S/Nav manual in dark blue with most of those extras (not a dog owner) for 25.5K inc 3-yr service pack. Not sure if that's bottom dollar but I'm happy with it. I've had my private plate for years but toyed with buying a CX theme for a while but decided against it.

I was also wondering about roof rails after seeing them on a Mazda247 thread showing the owner fitting them himself to his white CX and they look pretty good. They are a Mazda item but maybe only available in US? Anyway take a look at the thread and if you get any joy, let us know.

Be wary of 'biggest wheels' thing though, see how you go with the standard fit as they are optimised by Mazda for the car. If you want a cheaper 'custom' look, think about getting the wheels professionally powder-coated in white or matt black. My choice would be black as it would fill the arch on a white car but either would be cool.

Happy CXing!

Wow you definitely did get bottom dollar! What engine have you gone for and is it AWD?

When does yours arrive?

I will buy chrome 22's for summer cruising and keep the stock rims for winter driving! I have seen many pics on this site of american cars on 22's and they look so good! I have a set of chrome lexani's lined up already!! Will probably make some subtle mods also and add a decent sub to the soundsystem so it has some decent depth of bass!

Happy Cx'ing indeed!

Back