How long do stock pads last?

THE TOOTH

:
05 6S, sedan, steel grey
My friend has a MAZDASPEED Protege, and the stealership said he needed new front brakes. How many miles should the stock pads last? He doesn't race, or beat the car at all. The dealer said that those pads don't last long at all because they're performance pads.

Hmm? I have a P5 with 63K on the stock pads. I am wondering about the life of the MSP pads cause I'm thinking about swaping out a set of front brakes from a MSP onto my P5.

dude, my stock pads went bad at like 6K miles. I fought with the dealership and only got a free turning of my rotors. Well at about 12,500 miles I put the AXXIS metal master pads and slotted/cross-drilled rotors on it. Tell him to upgrade to new brakes and SS brake lines... see Cullen at www.**********.com

Car stops like a mofo now.... you have to watch the car behind you becuase the MSP will stop on a dime.

TheJohnny said:
dude, my stock pads went bad at like 6K miles. I now have the AXXIS metal master pads and slotted/cross-drilled rotors on it. Tell him to upgrade to new brakes and SS brake lines... see Cullen at www.**********.com
That's what I did, too. Like night and day!

stock pads are not the greatest, but they will last well over 20k.
dealer is full of s***.

my rotors and pads were quite ****** up at like 30k miles. i put akebono pads and rotorworks rotors and all is well.

Yeah I replaced my front pads & rotors around 30K. Rotors were fine but I got the rotorworks package. Rears @ 30K still had at least 75% left on them

my stock pads on the p5 laster about 35k miles. now i am at 64k and they might need replacing by 70k i think

Thanks for the info guys. He only has 16k on the car now. Unless there was a real problem with the car, I don't think there's any reason he should need new brakes yet...

Depends on his driving...people have needed new pads with less than half the mileage he had. Take a look yourself, its easy to see how much meat is on the pads with the stock MSP rims.

Unfortunatly the dealer already replacd them. They called his wife when th ecar was in there, and sadi they needed to be done, and she was like ok. The ydidn't call him. When I say he doesn't beat the car, he drives like grandma... :). He's 50 years old, so he isn't racing anyone...

Theres more than one reason to relplace the brakes. Maybe the rotors were heat checked? had hot spots? warped? etc. I love how people always try to make dealerships look bad.

My stock brakes lasted 20k miles (32k km), and they were beat on pretty hard, that included approximately 20 autoX events and two full days at the track....

I have 41,220 miles on my stock pads. Most of my driving is on the highway. If I drove in the city primarily they would probably be worn down more.

Brake pad wear has a lot to do with how you use them. When my Mustang was brand new, I had to have new pads at 19,000 miles. I beat the hell out of that car back then.

BlkZoomZoom said:
Theres more than one reason to relplace the brakes. Maybe the rotors were heat checked? had hot spots? warped? etc. I love how people always try to make dealerships look bad.
that's because 80% of the time dealers lie. especially about the brakes.
maybe they see that he is older and might not know about cars, so they think that he's an easy target.

it's funny to see how my mom (who drives a VW) and my g/f (honda) get treated when they come to a dealer.
i kinda stand back and pretend like i'm not with them.......then when the tech starts bullshitting to a point where i cant take it anymore, i get in the middle of it.

one time i got furious when a tech told my mom that motor oil and tranny fluid have to be changed every 3k miles.

Dr.Sound said:
that's because 80% of the time dealers lie. especially about the brakes.
maybe they see that he is older and might not know about cars, so they think that he's an easy target.

it's funny to see how my mom (who drives a VW) and my g/f (honda) get treated when they come to a dealer.
i kinda stand back and pretend like i'm not with them.......then when the tech starts bullshitting to a point where i cant take it anymore, i get in the middle of it.

one time i got furious when a tech told my mom that motor oil and tranny fluid have to be changed every 3k miles.

Thats funny... I never been to a dealership that had the techs talk to the customer. Usually its the service advisors, who don't know s*** about cars. So we (the techs) work on the cars, find the problem, give the price and aval. of the parts the car needs then give this to the service advisors. They hear what we tell them is wrong with the car, then 45mins. later call the customer, in that 45mins. 8 other techs go up and do the same thing. When they call the customer they have forgotten why the car needed the parts and then proceed to tell the biggest bulls*** story you have ever heard (hoping you know as little about cars as he does). When in reality you really need the parts, its just that he doesn't know why. This is my experience and findings. Now I'm not going to say there are not crooked tech's out there, but according to the stories on this board 90% are, I find this very hard to believe. Maybe at j/f or firestone but not at a dealership.

34K and still on stock pads... But with that link to the ********** site, It looks like I will be dropping 500 on rotors and pads...

Back