Parking Brake Adjustment question (2013 CX-9)

beefski

:
2013 CX-9 GT AWD Pearl White / Sand
2013 CX-9 GT AWD

Just did a full brake job, front and rear pads and rotors. Now the Parking brake does not hold the car at all. I know the 'star wheel' is the adjustment but how do you know how much to adjust? I've adjusted them then used a pry bar to test turning the wheel hub while engaging the brake and it seems to hold but then with wheels back on it doesn't hold. Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

Adjust them out to contact the parking brake drum when you feel/hear a slight drag between the shoes and the drum. Once you get to that point you can either leave them at that setting or back off about 2 to 3 clicks.

Adjust them out to contact the parking brake drum when you feel/hear a slight drag between the shoes and the drum. Once you get to that point you can either leave them at that setting or back off about 2 to 3 clicks.
With new pads and rotors its hard to feel/hear that drag. I used a long bar to try and turn the hub once I adjusted them and it was tight but when wheels back on it rolled easily with the brake engaged. Is there a limit to how far they can adjust?

Does the cable run smoothly through its casing, or is the casing rusty inside and packed with road grit? It may be time for a new cable assembly.

Did you replace all the hardware? If not, did you clean, inspect, & lube the moving parts?

Is the return spring in good condition?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXmXD27Vcr0

They will adjust to the point of locking up so be careful. It's odd that you cannot just move the rotors without the wheel. They are way out of adjustment if you can spin the wheel freely.

As suggested above have a look at engaging the parking brake and ensure all the parts move as appropriate and go from there.

Back