2019 CX-5 Brake questions

:
ss
Two questions:
1. Approx. How many miles are you all getting on the original brakes (pads and rotors)?
2. Are OEM pads and rotors they way to go or can you get same or better quality at a lower price? If so who has the "sweet spot" in aftermarket parts that aren't crap?

TIA

We've been in the 80k-100k+ range on brake pads with a mazda3 hatch, a 2016.5 cx5 touring and our 2019 diesel (almost 80k miles on it now. I'mma rotate tires on it tomorrow so I'll measure the current pad thickness). I'd say I'm at the higher end of what kind of wear mileage folks get out of the stock Mazda pads due to our operating environment and driving style and I'll take them down to 1mm thickness remaining before changing.

I like Raybestos Element3 pads and rotors for replacement. (Not that anything is wrong with OEM... They were fine)

As far as pads go I'm getting about 30k on the rears, maybe 35k+ on the fronts (miles), installed two new sets all the way around so far, 78k miles on the odo. State Inspection laws have a minimum thickness of 2/32". I'm not one to let the pads get down to minimum thickness so I probably could've gone an extra 5k longer. My favorites are Centric rotors with either Akebono or Wagner pads. OEM pads are fine but I get better grip with the Wagners, less dust with the Akebonos. I'm not one to cut rotors so they get replaced with the pads.

Last edited:
Wow, that seems really low. Is most of your driving in-city stop and go?
Half and half, 27 mile ride to work, going through 3 municipalities, about the same mileage I got out of my 2014 CX5. If you poke your nose around here a little as far as brake wear goes you'll find it's not that great.

Last edited:
At 35,400 on our 2019 Rears were at 5mm Front's at 7mm.
Mostly suburban driving with a little highway.

... (almost 80k miles on it now. I'mma rotate tires on it tomorrow so I'll measure the current pad thickness) ...

So, at 78,800 K miles on our 2019 signature 2.2 diesel, the OEM factory front pads are at 7mm/7mm pad thickness (outer/inner) for both front brakes. The OEM factory rears are 4mm/5mm on the left side and 5mm/5mm on the right. Brakes normally smooth and steady with no vibration or pulsing.

Screenshot_20230826-123857.png

The Conti LX25's have about 45k miles on them and are at 7/32 tread depth (when new they had 10/32 tread) with even wear across the tread. Tires are smooth riding quiet and comfortable as they were new with the exception of degraded hydroplaning resistance.
Screenshot_20230826-123928.png

Brake and tire wear rates vary greatly from person to person based on environment and particular driving style.

Reading all of that makes me wonder if something is really wrong with my car.
At 15k miles it had all its pads worn out.

1705338455423.png

Reading all of that makes me wonder if something is really wrong with my car.
At 15k miles it had all its pads worn out.

View attachment 325207
Ouch 😳. $576.99 for pad replacement? And "Mazda Value line" too. That hurts a lot. IMHO, your Mazda dealer is taking advantage of you.

Did your dealer take you out to your car on the lift and show you the pads "completely worn" in the front and rear? Or is this just based on the tech's word?

Unless those 15k miles are heavy metro stop and go traffic, or you deliver newspapers or something, I can't see why your brakes should wear out so quickly. I noticed you said it was similarly the case with your previous car as well? Was it the same dealership you delt with on that one too?

Yes, same dealership.
Nope, they didn't show me pads completely worn. But I heard the squeal and reported it.
Most miles are coming from multi-hour highway driving, so it's really weird.
Maybe someone is in business of switching new pads with used ones? I've been leaving my car a number of times at some shops unattended - to change the wheels, do state inspection etc.
It's Brooklyn so anything is possible. Time to get wheel locks :)

Yes, same dealership.
Nope, they didn't show me pads completely worn. But I heard the squeal and reported it.
Most miles are coming from multi-hour highway driving, so it's really weird.
Maybe someone is in business of switching new pads with used ones? I've been leaving my car a number of times at some shops unattended - to change the wheels, do state inspection etc.
It's Brooklyn so anything is possible. Time to get wheel locks :)
I have a brand new set of Mazda OEM black lug nuts with wheel looks that I'll never use.

I think I'll just start monitoring my pads periodically.
It's much more likely that '21 has exactly the same issue with calipers that my '16 had.
The chances of some shop snatching my pads are very slim.
Will see for sure in next 10k.

After much search I found out that the symptoms I had were the exact match for this TSB which covers '21 cars: SQUEAK NOISE FROM REAR BRAKES DURING LIGHT BRAKING

After hearing the squeak I easily believed the dealer when it said that the pads had to be replaced

So it's a 50/50 now, between brakes design issue vs dealer just deciding to sacrifice its karma and screw me really bad instead of implementing TSB

I was told I would soon need pads and was wondering how many replaced rotors at the same time. Seems like if you take them that far apart why not replace rotors also?

All the time. Usually by the time I change them the air vents are filled with rust anyway thanks to good ol' Pa winter road salt and brime.

We're in the 100,000 mile range for pad replacement so I just go with new rotors with the pads as well. Not a big expense for something that's lasting 4 to 5 years.

Back