HID Kits

josh1581

The wife and I just picked up a Copper Red 2010 M5 Sport a couple weeks ago. I'm looking at getting an HID drop in kit for it.

I know the peak output is in the 4000-4500k range. I'm thinking the 5000-6000k range as I definitely want more light output than OEM, but wouldn't mind a little blue tinge to it.

I was hoping to see if anyone had any pics or real world experience w/their M5's such as install pics and/or before/after pics.

TIA!

The wife and I just picked up a Copper Red 2010 M5 Sport a couple weeks ago. I'm looking at getting an HID drop in kit for it.

I know the peak output is in the 4000-4500k range. I'm thinking the 5000-6000k range as I definitely want more light output than OEM, but wouldn't mind a little blue tinge to it.

I was hoping to see if anyone had any pics or real world experience w/their M5's such as install pics and/or before/after pics.

TIA!

go with the 5K kit from a local vendor..

You can try to get a headlight housing from a GT model and get a cheap kit. Otherwise you'll just be blinding everyone with the Sport's Halogen headlight housing.

You can try to get a headlight housing from a GT model and get a cheap kit. Otherwise you'll just be blinding everyone with the Sport's Halogen headlight housing.

I could very well be mistaken, but I the Sports have halogen headlights w/projectors. The projectors should make it fine for an HID kit without blinding everybody if I get them aimed correctly. If I'm not mistkaken it's the fluting in non-projector headlight housings/lenses that throws the light all over the road.

Here in Canada de GS and GT model share the same headlights, no difference at all. So i guess it's the same in the United States ... ?!?

OEM hid projectors have a level up system that allows your lights to aim lower if you happen to have a fully loaded vehicle .. remember it will lower from the back and automaticaly aim higher.. high end vehicles have an automatic system.. our Mazdas have a manual system where you can aim from 1 to 3..position with out it you might blind people every now and then depending on the above mention. There are other techincal diffrences on a oem Hid projector housing vs. a halogen one .. but the above should help answer your question..

Last edited:
....or doing TSX retrofit

Here is couple pics for my TSX retrofit on my 08 touring. Those with color mod and painted shield.

Attachments

• DSC01960.JPG
    DSC01960.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC01963.JPG
    DSC01963.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC01964.JPG
    DSC01964.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC01957.JPG
    DSC01957.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 195
... and i am using 6000K D2S bulbs with aftermarket ballasts. I am planning to get a pair of OEM ballasts, so i can mount them at the bottom of the headlight housing.

Attachments

• DSC01961.JPG
    DSC01961.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
These look and work great so far! I think I might just upgrade the high beams to HID as well since I'm moving into the country a little bit.

I need to take some after pics of the lighting since the ones I took didn't do the kit justice.

These look and work great so far! I think I might just upgrade the high beams to HID as well since I'm moving into the country a little bit.

I need to take some after pics of the lighting since the ones I took didn't do the kit justice.

I'm confused....Why did you need to take the lens off the light to put on HID's and were the ones from that website a direct fit? or do you need to take the headlight apart?(boom02)

If you take apart the headlights - you should also black out the surrounds. Both my VW & Mazda5 now.

2009-9-15144Medium.jpg

DSCN0093Medium.jpg

michael.

If you take apart the headlights - you should also black out the surrounds. Both my VW & Mazda5 now.

2009-9-15144Medium.jpg

DSCN0093Medium.jpg

michael.

Looks Good but I'm fond of the chrome. Hey Josh1581 are those a direct fit the ones you got from that website...I'm ready to order but want to make sure. I saw that they had foglights also.

You will get more light from an hid kit. Although If you have a halogen reflector it wasn't designed for an hid bulb. Yes more light but it will be all over the place. There's good info over at hidplanet

You will get more light from an hid kit. Although If you have a halogen reflector it wasn't designed for an hid bulb. Yes more light but it will be all over the place. There's good info over at hidplanet

So do you recommend the blue bulbs instead?Or a Silverstar or something like that?

So do you recommend the blue bulbs instead?Or a Silverstar or something like that?

Honestly I would run an hid kit (and have). Silverstars are bright but not as bright as a xenon bulb :) I could care less about blinding oncoming traffic. 4300k is supposed to be the optimal temperature for light output but a little to yellow for me. I prefer 5k or 6k bulbs.

Honestly I would run an hid kit (and have). Silverstars are bright but not as bright as a xenon bulb :) I could care less about blinding oncoming traffic. 4300k is supposed to be the optimal temperature for light output but a little to yellow for me. I prefer 5k or 6k bulbs.

So this website is not offering the kit?

So this website is not offering the kit?

Hidplanet is for info on lighting. There is a vendor here on the forum somewhere that sells great kits for cheap. Well I wouldn't know but from what everyone says. I think it's ddm tuning or something like that

Hidplanet is for info on lighting. There is a vendor here on the forum somewhere that sells great kits for cheap. Well I wouldn't know but from what everyone says. I think it's ddm tuning or something like that

That's the site I was talking about

Back