Help With Short Shifter Installation

amsgator

03.5 Protege5
:
Yellow '03 5-Speed MP5
Hey,

I live in Gainesville and am trying to get a short shifter installed. I have not ordered it yet because I'm not familiar with installation etc. Is there anyone that would be willing to give me a hand? The closer to Gainesville the better! Thanks!

Aaron

It's really not that hard to do. It should take about 30 mins tops. If you've done any mods to your car yourself, you shouldn't have a problem doing this yourself. I did it 3 days ago, and it only took around 45 minutes.

i just dont wana get everything taken apart and get stuck...and then have my car sittin there...

You won't get stuck...unless you don't have an ounce of the mechanic gene most men have. The hardest part is probably getting that little locking ring off. There's a special tool to get it off but it's not necessary. you can probably get it off with regular pliers or a needle-nose. There's a detailed 'How-to' on this forum with pictures if you have any doubts. I printed it up before I installed mine and it took me about 20 min. to do and that's only because that stupid little locking ring got away from me while removing it and I had to waste 5 min. looking for it.

ok, do you have to stick the car on ramps? i only have one pair so would that suffice for the little bit that is under the car?

Last edited:
All I had when I did mine was a floor jack so I used it on one side of the car and put it all the way up. Just enough so that you can work comfortably underneath. Don't forget to bend back the heatshield just a little so that there's not rubbing/rattling.

okie. i was lookin at the TWM ones and i was curious which package i should get...i really dont want to drop 290 dollars on a shifter package.... :-\ which should i go for? i could probably do w/o a weighted knob for now and go back later to get one. what about the boot? stock one work?

the TWM site says the shifter comes with heatshield spacers...does that mean I would have to bend it back?

ok, if i get it i am going to get the bushings, shifter, and boot. someone told me to get the bronzoil bushings too but i dont see them for mazdas on the TWM site. i'm not going to bother with the knob, not worth the $$$ IMO. i dont like how they look either. may just get an OEM mazda one from protegegarage. it will come to about 180 after the 10% discount. :-\ now i have to decide if i want to spend the $$ or not. HELP!!!

Last edited:
Wow, $290 for a short-shifter!?! I don't remember spending that much for my KartBoy, but then-again, I believe I got it during a group-buy. I think I paid just over $100 for the shifter & bushings. Spacers??? Unless that particular brands requires it but the KartBoy didn't need it. I just bent it back a hair and have never had a problem with it. The OEM boot will fit just fine. I just did a quick search on Ebay and found this:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
Shifter AND leather boot for $140.95. Dayam, I wish I would've seen this when I bought mine. No bids, yet. Jump on it!

yea i was going to buy it through the TWM site because i can get 20 dollars off until Jan 18. well it was 290 WITH the knob which i decided not to get because its not worth the 80 to me. for the bushings, boot, and shifter it is going to cost me 182 and some change. i'm thinkin about gettin it.

installing this wouldnt cause a problem if i have to go into the shop for service or anything will it? i know places arent "allowed" to handle any aftermarket parts. i went to get my battery changed, the guy said he'd do it for me, and he told me i had to take the strut bar off, he couldnt touch it because "it isnt stock" (when in reality it is but he didnt know).

I have the B&M shifter. It actually came with instructions in the box for a Protege. But the install is super easy. I would recommend the lock ring pliers. They will make the install a LOT easier. If you get the Corksport bronzeoil bushings, they will replace the stock bushings on the shift linkage. You already have to remove the two at the shifter itself and the other two are at the other end of the linkage. All very easy. You can do it.

amsgator said:
yea i was going to buy it through the TWM site because i can get 20 dollars off until Jan 18. well it was 290 WITH the knob which i decided not to get because its not worth the 80 to me. for the bushings, boot, and shifter it is going to cost me 182 and some change. i'm thinkin about gettin it.

AAHH!!!! they took the shift boots off sale?!?!! what the heck, they were on sale before i left for work and now they're not!!!!!!!! maybe i wont get a boot now....

Hey,

Everyone that said I could ask them about questions when I am installing, can I get ya'll to pm or email me your phone numbers because I will be at a friends house doing the install and wont be able to hop on here. It wont be til sometime next week, possibly the week after it depends how my work, school, and time schedule works out. Thanks!

Aaron

P.S. Please include your name so I know who to ask for :-D

You can PM me and ask me any questions. I get an email on my blackberry and I can hop online and answer it for you. Or if you PM me your email address I'll respond to you that way.

amsgator said:
Hey,

Everyone that said I could ask them about questions when I am installing, can I get ya'll to pm or email me your phone numbers because I will be at a friends house doing the install and wont be able to hop on here. It wont be til sometime next week, possibly the week after it depends how my work, school, and time schedule works out. Thanks!

Aaron

P.S. Please include your name so I know who to ask for :-D

well i said i wont be able to get online because i'll be at his house in the backyard and he may not be home. :-(

OWND for not reading...sorry...good luck anyway.

amsgator said:
well i said i wont be able to get online because i'll be at his house in the backyard and he may not be home. :-(

I'd offer to help, but Gainesville is a bit far for me, and I won't be up there again until mid-February. And even then, I'll be racing, so not much time for tech work.

I have the B&M shortshifter on my p5...I installed it a few years ago and it still works perfectly. I installed it at the same time with the kartboy shifterbushings and it took me a little over an hour and I'm really bad when it comes to mechanic-y garage stuff. But once I looked at the shortshifter and the inside of the car it was pretty easy to figure out. It's not rocket science, so don't worry. I just had to REALLY push the shortshifter in place when I was installing it...I was a little afraid I was gonna break my car I had to push so hard lol

and $290 is pretty steep for a shortshifter...I hope it's made out of gold or something for that price...

Latest posts

Back