Help! Unable to reset CX-5 Oil Change Interval

Squishy

:
CX-5, 2.2, 2014
Hi all - long time browser, first time poster. :)
I've got a Diesel 2014 CX-5 with 88,000kms (Australia) and got the low oil light (the little red oil can), despite there being plenty of oil in the thing. OBD2 shows error DTC P253F:00 which is all about "Oil malfunction". Suspect the last oil change idiots didn't reset the service interval and the car thinks there's dirty oil that's 18,000kms old, so is giving me the warning that the manual says it will give. No surprises there, I think....

But here in Oz we are blessed by having a cut down dashboard feature set that doesn't allow ordinary humans to reset the maintenance interval -there's just nothing there. I've got a lot of advice to just follow directions on YouTube or use the regular settings but that is for normal cars.
Q1: Is there some magic way to reset the service interval by pushing various buttons on the dashboard?
Q2: If I clear the OBD2 code will that reset the interval and all will be good?
Q3: Is there a Windows, Android or IOS application that lets me reset it?

I got terse with the garage manager for leaving 4 bolts and fittings off the underside from the last oil change and we had "words", so I am not inclined to go sucking up to them to reset my interval - prefer to just do it all myself.
Any help appreciated
Squishy

No, its not the previous repairer, it needs a software update. I think your dealer might do it free but it is out of warranty so youll have to enquire.

There is a TSB but they are working on the forum but if you pm me an email address Ill send it to you.

I've got a Diesel 2014 CX-5 with 88,000kms (Australia) and got the low oil light (the little red oil can), despite there being plenty of oil in the thing. OBD2 shows error DTC P253F:00 which is all about "Oil malfunction". Suspect the last oil change idiots didn't reset the service interval and the car thinks there's dirty oil that's 18,000kms old, so is giving me the warning that the manual says it will give. No surprises there, I think....
The warning light is "low oil pressure warning light" which may have nothing to do with the oil level. A failing oil pump would caused the same warning even if the oil level is fine. I don't believe your problem is caused by the service interval not been reset, but rather by something else. Hopefully the software update mentioned by Anchorman is all you need but be prepare for the worst.

"Suspect the last oil change idiots didn't reset the service interval and the car thinks there's dirty oil that's 18,000kms old"? Did you mean the oil has 18,000 kms (11,250 miles) since the oil change, or the garage didn't reset the service interval and your oil life actually is much less than 18,000 kms? If it's the formal, the oil is very "dirty" with the US standard as many car owners changing oil at 8,000-km / 5,000-mile interval.

The warning light is "low oil pressure warning light" which may have nothing to do with the oil level. A failing oil pump would caused the same warning even if the oil level is fine. I don't believe your problem is caused by the service interval not been reset, but rather by something else. Hopefully the software update mentioned by Anchorman is all you need but be prepare for the worst.

"Suspect the last oil change idiots didn't reset the service interval and the car thinks there's dirty oil that's 18,000kms old"? Did you mean the oil has 18,000 kms (11,250 miles) since the oil change, or the garage didn't reset the service interval and your oil life actually is much less than 18,000 kms? If it's the formal, the oil is very "dirty" with the US standard as many car owners changing oil at 8,000-km / 5,000-mile interval.
Its the subject of a TSB but at the moment I cant show it to you.

But here in Oz we are blessed by having a cut down dashboard feature set that doesn't allow ordinary humans to reset the maintenance interval -there's just nothing there. I've got a lot of advice to just follow directions on YouTube or use the regular settings but that is for normal cars.
Q1: Is there some magic way to reset the service interval by pushing various buttons on the dashboard?

I got terse with the garage manager for leaving 4 bolts and fittings off the underside from the last oil change and we had "words", so I am not inclined to go sucking up to them to reset my interval - prefer to just do it all myself.
Any help appreciated
Squishy

I am not sure about the red light, but there are instructions in the owners manual on how to do the *oil data reset* that is required after each oil change.

I change my oil myself between dealer services, which means it gets changed every 5000kms.

Just to be sure! I use Penrite Enviro + C1 oil. (Previously called DL-1) and also supply it to the dealer at the 10000km services, which saves me a motza on what they would otherwise charge for their dealership oil.

I have followed the manual*s procedure for oil data resetting without any issues.

I am not sure about the red light, but there are instructions in the owners manual on how to do the *oil data reset* that is required after each oil change.

I change my oil myself between dealer services, which means it gets changed every 5000kms.

Just to be sure! I use Penrite Enviro + C1 oil. (Previously called DL-1) and also supply it to the dealer at the 10000km services, which saves me a motza on what they would otherwise charge for their dealership oil.

I have followed the manual*s procedure for oil data resetting without any issues.
Can you tell me what the manual says about resetting the oil data?

This is the reset method from the US owner's manual (may not work in other markets though):

Press and hold the dashboard illumination knob with the ignition switched off, then switch it on. Keep pressing the dashboard illumination knob for more than 5 seconds.
The master warning light will flash for a few seconds when the reset is completed.

Its the subject of a TSB but at the moment I cant show it to you.
Not sure about the TSB but not resetting the service interval should have nothing to do with the low oil pressure warning light, and the error code showed on OBD2 reader.

Not sure about the TSB but not resetting the service interval should have nothing to do with the low oil pressure warning light, and the error code showed on OBD2 reader.

Correct. Resetting the oil data is not remotely similar to doing it on the gasoline engine. It is done by shorting a test point in the fuse box to earth.

Can you tell me what the manual says about resetting the oil data?

Here is what my owners manual says.

This is for a diesel 2016 MY CX5. Australian model.

Have used this procedure and it works, no need to do the old fuse box procedure.

The initialization procedure (engine oil data resetting) of the recorded value can be performed using the following procedure:

1. Switch the ignition off
2. Switch the ignition on with the selector pressed (they show the dash light/trip meter selector stalk as the one to press), and press and hold the selector for about 5 seconds until the master warning light (triangle!) flashes for several seconds
3. After the master warning light flashes for several seconds, the initialisation is completed.

Wow - Thanks Moonlighter, I did not know that at all. I'll try that and also check the manual
Not sure why the statement about the low pressure issue when the code is quite clear and the manual says that if you don't reset the interval the car will give the error and the warning.

I've got it booked into Mazda for the software update on Tuesday - if they agree that it needs it, and I just changed the oil anyway, a little early but now I can try the reset.

Thanks for that - the oil's been changed religiously every 10,000kms but the garage didn't reset the oil data. The manual has a specific statement that says that if the interval isn't reset you may get a light, despite the oil being changed. The car can't sense it for itself. Apparently the P253F code I got via the OBD2 can mean Low engine oil level (wasn't), Poor quality oil (wasn't), Oil life monitor needs to be reset (aha!), Defective PCM strategy (possibly - so getting the update)

I'll let everyone know what the service guys say. If this trickery with the dimmer stalk works then it's happy days for me and my car.

Thanks for that - the oil's been changed religiously every 10,000kms but the garage didn't reset the oil data. The manual has a specific statement that says that if the interval isn't reset you may get a light, despite the oil being changed. The car can't sense it for itself. Apparently the P253F code I got via the OBD2 can mean Low engine oil level (wasn't), Poor quality oil (wasn't), Oil life monitor needs to be reset (aha!), Defective PCM strategy (possibly - so getting the update)

I'll let everyone know what the service guys say. If this trickery with the dimmer stalk works then it's happy days for me and my car.
I was concerned about the red "low oil pressure warning light" as it indicated the oil pressure sensor has sensed low oil pressure condition. This's nothing to do with the "P253F" code you'd got, and hopefully it's just a one-time glitch, or the oil your garage put in last time doesn't meet the required oil specification (C1 / DL1) for Mazda SkyActiv diesel. Is the red warning light still on?

Yeah please keep us posted.

Here is what my owners manual says.

This is for a diesel 2016 MY CX5. Australian model.

Have used this procedure and it works, no need to do the old fuse box procedure.

The initialization procedure (engine oil data resetting) of the recorded value can be performed using the following procedure:

1. Switch the ignition off
2. Switch the ignition on with the selector pressed (they show the dash light/trip meter selector stalk as the one to press), and press and hold the selector for about 5 seconds until the master warning light (triangle!) flashes for several seconds
3. After the master warning light flashes for several seconds, the initialisation is completed.

This is getting painful.... this procedure doesn't work for my car (2014 GT Diesel) with VIN: JM0KE102.... and no matter which way I try it the dashboard lights stay unlit. I made sure the doors were shut, tapped the start button once (accessories) and held the stalk down - nix. I tried again with the car on (all lights illuminated but engine off) and did the 20 seconds with the stalk depressed. Ditto.
I did notice that the car display goes into a Test mode and each time you touch the Dimmer stalk the car tests lights, buzzer, warning indicators etc. Fun but didn't reset anything.

I re-read the manual and can't find any procedure - so am assuming it's a recent addition?

A friend sent me a Mazda procedure to clear "Fuel in oil indicator" and "Oil Change Interval" reset procedure called the "Pedal method" where you
"(1) switch the ignition ON (engine off).
(2) Depress the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal simultaneously and hold for approx. 20 s.
Note: The fuel in oil warning light flashes after approx. 15 s and turns off when the procedure is successfully completed."

Nothing - no lights or anything. I cleared the fault code but that didn't reset the Oil Change interval.

I'll talk to Mazda - why do they make it so painful?

Any help appreciated
Squishy

P253F means the oil has deteriorated.
there are other DTC codes for low oil pressure or low oil with regard to diagnosing oil pump+/- chain issues.P253F with oil level [higher than before] likely means a DPF regen was interrupted. There is no regen indicator other than the I-Stop wont function but maybe in a traffic jam, the driver turns engine off or does not select neutral when parking such that the disabled i-Stop is not recognised. In this case the diesel injected by the vaporizer to clean the DPF cools and goes vis PCV system to engine crankcase and engine oil. Therefore change oil & filter to remove P253F which is a dynamic code using an oil sensor rather than time/life related. Personally, I might clear DTC 253F if I knew the oil change was good (C3 0w30 or 5w-30 MZR complaint) but it would clear by sensor too.

First off, this thread is more than 4 years old and the OP, Squishy, hasn't been seen on this forum in those 4 years.

Then you make statements that simply aren't true.

"P253F with oil level [higher than before] likely means a DPF regen was interrupted."

No, that certainly is not what it means. There are only two things that can cause the oil level to increase (other than adding too much oil). Either fuel is getting into the oil or coolant is.

With a Mazda diesel my money is on the coolant.

If a regen is interrupted, after the DPF has had its shot of diesel, how will enough vapors from the DPF travel backwards up the exhaust system and enter the PCV system and cause an issue?

DTC P253F:00 [SKYACTIV-D 2.2] The PCM determines that the engine oil has deteriorated due to an engine oil pressure decrease. Dilution of the oil from fuel becoming mixed in can be considered a cause of the engine oil pressure decrease.

First off, this thread is more than 4 years old and the OP, Squishy, hasn't been seen on this forum in those 4 years.

Then you make statements that simply aren't true.

"P253F with oil level [higher than before] likely means a DPF regen was interrupted."

No, that certainly is not what it means. There are only two things that can cause the oil level to increase (other than adding too much oil). Either fuel is getting into the oil or coolant is.

With a Mazda diesel my money is on the coolant.

If a regen is interrupted, after the DPF has had its shot of diesel, how will enough vapors from the DPF travel backwards up the exhaust system and enter the PCV system and cause an issue?

DTC P253F:00 [SKYACTIV-D 2.2] The PCM determines that the engine oil has deteriorated due to an engine oil pressure decrease. Dilution of the oil from fuel becoming mixed in can be considered a cause of the engine oil pressure decrease.
You stated: "No, that certainly is not what it means.".

It is. It is well known that diesel can end up in the engine oil after an incomplete DPF regen. In a mazda DPF management is quite good such that these kind of issues:
Diesel fuel contamination in engine oil caused by DPF Regeneration not a significant issue, however, what I have described is and is in the Mazda TSB.

Here is another clue for you from Mazda and yourself: "
Dilution of the oil from fuel becoming mixed in can be considered a cause of the engine oil pressure decrease."

It is suggested that the Conrad 6.5's stated fact that the OP may have gone has no bearing on whether P253F still occurs or its diagnosis.

Side note: Thread cleaned…Please note that trolling of any kind is absolutely unacceptable here and it will lead to your account being perminately banned.

Now back to the thread topic.

Thank you.

Back