ATF...Change or not?

Your next 2 simple drain-and-fill should be a lot easier and don’t need to put the under cover back until you complete the 3X D&F.

The ATF amount for a simple D&F should be more consistent from all the reports here, 3.75 quarts at room temperature if you drain the ATF long enough.
(y)Yes, I will use a empty oil bottle next time, so I can see how much exactly I got there.

I can’t speak for all Toyota transmissions but the one in my Lexus GX 460 (Toyota) does require checking at a specific temperature (~115-120F)

One could always try the drain and replace method but the A760F in my GX has an overfill you open at set temperature. When stream goes to a trickle it means you have correct level so you can overfill and still get accurate level. I usually overfill by a 1/2 quart.

You can always weigh fluid as well in case you have temp differences between drained and new fluid.

Yep as far as I know changing the ATF on Honda’s and Toyota’s doesn’t need to know the specific ATF temperature.

I can’t speak for all Toyota transmissions but the one in my Lexus GX 460 (Toyota) does require checking at a specific temperature (~115-120F)

One could always try the drain and replace method but the A760F in my GX has an overfill you open at set temperature. When stream goes to a trickle it means you have correct level so you can overfill and still get accurate level. I usually overfill by a 1/2 quart.

You can always weigh fluid as well in case you have temp differences between drained and new fluid.
For newer Toyota’s 8-speed automatic and CVT on the RAV4:

That’s crazy! My gas (‘19 traded in) and hybrid (‘21 currently own) RAV4s don’t have a dipstick. The gas transmission has like a little straw built into the pan above the drain plug. The straw sticks up into the pan and serves as the device for measuring correct fill level (overflow above the straw spills out). Removing the straw drains the transmission. The scheduled maintenance infers “lifetime” under “normal” conditions, but thankfully a note is made to service at like 50 or 60k miles for towing or using rooftop carriers.

The hybrid transmission is dead simple. Drain and fill it like a rear differential on the cx-5. “Lifetime” normal conditions, drain and fill for severe service.

They claim it’s lifetime fluid but I beg to disagree. 100,000 miles for normal driving and 60k miles or less for towing.

I try and stay out of these back and forth threads like this because it can become contentious. The reason 122* is specified is because over 100* FZ begins to thin and expand rapidly. FZ actually expands a fair amount when its hot, when its too full the fluid gets whipped up by the planets and aerates, when that happens the pump will cavitate and start pushing air through the transmission. This has two big issues. It stops lube going getting to critical areas and uses air to start to apply the clutch sets. Air has nowhere near the amount of holding power that a fluid does in the same circuit, this causes premature clutch failure. Too low of a fluid level and you'll also suck air and run into line pressure issues again. At around 122* the fluid while running will be within the safe zone to adjust fluid level one way or the other. The attached picture shows in relation to the internal points of the trans where the fluid is in relation to the level on the dipstick.
Any thoughts/comments on this video? Toyota biased, but in general...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULcSauSJrsY

Any thoughts/comments on this video? Toyota biased, but in general...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULcSauSJrsY
He has some good points and some things I don't necessarily agree with.
I'll go through his points and give my thoughts.

1. Parking Pawl- I've only seen two actually broken in my career, good advice to come to a complete stop. The other side of that is to make sure the vehicle is completely stopped when shifting from Drive to Reverse, vice versa as that will damage the one-way clutch.

2. Transmission Maintenance- Agree with what he says regarding no such thing as lifetime fluid. Service them. The other part of this is the mileage limits he is imposing are not really a thing in our experience. Current condition of the fluid is key. If it is burning, don't touch it, if its old replace it. There is not some magic number that suddenly after 100k miles you cant service it.

3. Warm Up- Yes its a good idea to have fluids at operating temp before you beat on the car. Modern TCMs use different strategies when transmission fluid is cold to account for it taking a little while to warm up. For example the transmission will command a higher line pressure to account for the fluid being thicker.

4. Don't Brake- I have never seen any detrimental effect on a transmission that rev matches when downshifting(which the Skyactiv Drive does). Older transmissions that do not do this it can be hard on them because you're causing some slip. Coast down rev matched downshifts are far less stressful on the transmission than a powered upshift.

5. Stuck in Snow- Agreed, it is very taxing a transmission to sit there with tires spinning, you are generating a ton of heat. I live in the desert and sand has a similar effect. We see tons of failed drivetrain components from playing in the dirt/sand and spinning and suddenly getting traction, this will break shafts and planetaries.

6. The Shifter- Spilled fluids in there definitely break things.

7. Neutral- Skyactiv Drives put themselves in neutral at a stop by relaxing pressure on one of the clutch sets. This is called Neutral Idle Control and is used by a lot of OEMs (including Toyota). It is to help fuel economy because you're not putting load on the engine at a stop. I personally don't like it.

7. Neutral- Skyactiv Drives put themselves in neutral at a stop by relaxing pressure on one of the clutch sets. This is called Neutral Idle Control and is used by a lot of OEMs (including Toyota). It is to help fuel economy because you're not putting load on the engine at a stop. I personally don't like it.
Appreciate your comments. May I ask you why you don’t like Neutral Idle Control? I didn’t know SkyActiv-Drive transmission has this feature. I usually shift the automatic transmission to Neutral while waiting at the traffic light as I don’t like to use the brake to stop the pulling force which means more heat been generated in torque converter and brakes.

Any opinions to CVT especially on reliability part as it’s getting more popular especially on compact cars and hybrid vehicles.

Appreciate your comments. May I ask you why you don’t like Neutral Idle Control? I didn’t know SkyActiv-Drive transmission has this feature. I usually shift the automatic transmission to Neutral while waiting at the traffic light as I don’t like to use the brake to stop the pulling force which means more heat been generated in torque converter and brakes.

Any opinions to CVT especially on reliability part as it’s getting more popular especially on compact cars and hybrid vehicles.
You never experienced the infamous stop light bump where you're stopped at a light and it feels like some one tapped you from behind? I'm assuming this conversation, which had many theories, is related to this feature:

https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/car-jiggles-after-30-sec-at-stoplight.123875951/

Last edited:
You never experienced the infamous stop light bump where you're stopped at a light and it feels like some one tapped you from behind? I'm assuming this conversation, which had many theories, is related to this feature:

The thread linked is one of the reasons I am careful what I respond to, lots of conjecture and not everyone is open to learning. What they are experiencing is the trans going into "neutral". It does not go fully into neutral but is slipping the low clutch so you don't feel a "full" engagement but you can feel it. The feature is predicated on transmission fluid temperature, current load on the engine, in manual mode and the amount of pressure on the brake pedal.

Last edited:

I don't like the feel and I don't like the slipping that it is doing while stopping, I'll either keep pressure light on the brake pedal or put it in manual to keep it from happening on my car. Mazda has a better implementation than some other OEMs that do it but I don't care for it personally.

CVTs are great for my mortgage. I would do my best to never own one. We do multiple Nissans and Subarus a month. We've done Toyotas and Hondas but less often.

I don't like the feel and I don't like the slipping that it is doing while stopping, I'll either keep pressure light on the brake pedal or put it in manual to keep it from happening on my car. Mazda has a better implementation than some other OEMs that do it but I don't care for it personally.

CVTs are great for my mortgage. I would do my best to never own one. We do multiple Nissans and Subarus a month. We've done Toyotas and Hondas but less often.
Would a more aggressive fluid change schedule help the CVT last longer? Or is it just the design thing that makes them naturally problematic ?

Would a more aggressive fluid change schedule help the CVT last longer? Or is it just the design thing that makes them naturally problematic ?
Aggressive fluid changes can help, CVT fluid has an incredibly high level of friction modifiers to make it work and they get worked very hard. The design itself is problematic, Subaru for example on the TR690 which is the heavier duty version in the Legacies, WRX, etc exert 145,000 psi on the belt to make the vehicle move. When that pressure deviates it will damage the pulleys, we usually see grooves worn into the pulley surfaces. Heat is very hard on the fluid and transmission itself, mountainous areas see more failures, we usually see the Nissans around 70-80k miles and the Subarus around 100k needing to be overhauled.

Man, lifetime fluids. I asked MazdaUSA what "lifetime" means and they were vague and dodged the question. So you should assume lifetime means the extent of the powertrain warranty at which point any problems after that are your problems. So I definitely believe in changing transmission fluid. I agree at 100k miles maybe do it a little at a time. My first drain/fill was at 71k, so I definitely missed the opportunity to do it at 30-40k, but its been fine. I did 2 more additional drain/fills (a week apart from each other) for that 71k first time, and then since I did one at 118k (over the interval I wanted to do to be fair, but life's life). I'll try to get the next one no more than 30-40k miles.

No, during few opportunities I drive our CX-5 which is wife’s daily driver, I’ve never noticed this. It could be because I usually shift the gear into neutral waiting at the stop light.

Back