HELP! ! Turbos leaking oil!

azeli73

Contributor
:
2002 Protege 5 Turbo
HELP!! Turbos leaking oil!

Alright so this is what's going on. I'm running a sleeper kit from MAM with a gt28rs. I take good care of it and have always ran full synthetic mobil 1. Starting around December I started to see white smoke blowing through the exhaust in colder weather. When I checked under the hood I could see oil leaking out from what appeared to be the outlet. So I checked the return lines bolts and all looked good. Problem was still there. When I pulled the coupler off the compressor side I found a puddle of oil. So I talked with Beau and he suggested I replace the inlet with a restrictor. I did. Bought it at ATP turbo and put in a fresh change of royal purple 5W-30. I went through everything else to make sure all bolts were tight and clean of any oil. I took the car out around the block after letting it completely warm up and when I parked it and looked under the hood, same damn thing. Oil all over under the turbo and on the cool side again. Did I bust a seal? Can I get this fixed under warranty by garrett?

BTW, I will post some pictures tonight...

Last edited:
Btw, the shaft has some play in it...:(

Attachments

• IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    431 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 140
check your pcv valve. If its doesn't open properly then you will cause the turbo to leak, because of the back pressure.
You shold also check your turbos drain line. If it is closed or plugged up the oil will come out of the intake side of your turbo(mainly during de-acceleration)

thanks. I will go ahead and change the PCV valve tomorrow. How do you know if it's bad or not? From this? - see picture

the bit of play in the shaft is not an issue?

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 200
no it's not it's set for 40 hours of overtime pay. (cheers)

Just Kidding!

Good Luck man I hope you find out what the dealy is. :)

Stopping off at the mazda dealer today to get a new pcv valve. Let's hope it's just that....

ordered the pcv valve mentioned in the sticky of this section at the local dealer. $25 bucks (boom07) Comes in on tuesday...

yes and it rattles. But, I honestly can't remember when was last time I changed it so a new one is a start.

Are you running a hose from the end of your valve cover to the front inlet hose going to your comp housing?

Back