Help with oil leak (2014.5 CX-5)

:
2014.5 CX-5 GS FWD 2.5L
I noticed some oil drops on the garage floor so took a peek under the car. WTF.
There's a big oils slick but i can't find where it's coming from. With the plastic covering, it's spread all over. Starts about mid way under the passenger front seat all the way to the back. Gold color like engine oil.
All fluids are good, engine, brakes, etc. Under the engine is perfectly clean.
This is on a FWD, so no transfer case, rear end, etc. What the heck runs in that area that could leak??
I'll have to pull that whole plastic under carriage out, but just looking for ideas.

Last edited:
Pay attention to the timing chain cover...
My '14 Mazda3 has that problem.
It is a known issue, and it is expensive to fix.
Hope yours is a simpler issue.

Silly Wabbit above nails it in my estimation. Considering that the oil filter and drain plug are more toward the passenger side and oil can run down the plastic cover until it finds an exit, I'd say a loose oil filter or drain plug. Especially since it looks like engine oil and it's a big slick. Pull the cover.

Thanks for the comments.
Just to clarify, there's a lot of fluid, not just a few little drips.
First thing i did was take off the access door to the drain plug and filter. Everything is perfectly clean and dry. The oil slick starts 3 ft behind the front tire. So starting taking off that plastic panel that covers the floor pan. Found nothing there that can leak. Plus the top side of the panel was dry.
My last guess is it drove over a jug of some kind and exploded under the car. :unsure:
It definitely started today. This is the wife's ride and she don't recall driving over anything.
I cleaned everything up and put it all back together. Hopefully that's all it was. Nice way to spend a quiet night off.

Well shucks, and here it seemed like a slam dunk for a loose filter or drain plug. I envisioned a slick or puddle of oil on the floor. Good to hear it's not leaking. Thanks for getting back to us.

How's the A/C system? Blowing cold? (Compressor oil?)

All fluid levels check out full?

Back