Oil leak from timing cover seal CX-5 2019

I have a 2019 CX-5 with 71k miles and a few weeks ago I noticed a tiny drop of oil here and there on my garage floor. I check the oil level and it was and still is perfect. Even though the oil drops were burly noticeable it bothered me so I took it to the dealership and they did an inspection and found that the Timing cover seal is leaking and the cost to repair is $1500. Does anyone know if i need to fix the leak asap? or i can wait? Is this common in Mazda? I read online that sometimes the fix is not 100%. I am so disapointend in Mazda I thought Japanese-built engines are among the best in the world.
For reference, I bought this car for 3 months and it had no leak and it ran perfectly. I did get a second opinion from a local Japanese mechanic who basically quoted me the same price. Any thoughts on what do to do. Obviously, this car is out of warranty and has no extended warranty.

Attachments

• IMG_7912.PNG.jpeg
    IMG_7912.PNG.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_7915.jpg.jpeg
    IMG_7915.jpg.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_7916.heic.jpeg
    IMG_7916.heic.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 525
For any competent DIYer, there are multiple steps which can be done to potentially resolve any leaking 'cover', such as this one (excluding the reseal job, which of course is also possible for a DIYer to do). So would you not want to try some of this yourself, before taking it anywhere else?
Where’s the link?

It’d take 3.6 hours of dealer labor for the fix based on the TSB. If you read the procedures and how much the job is involved in the TSB, I wouldn’t consider it’s an easy job to be successful at least for me.

Upvote 0
Where’s the link?

It’d take 3.6 hours of dealer labor for the fix based on the TSB. If you read the procedures and how much the job is involved in the TSB, I wouldn’t consider it’s an easy job to be successful at least for me.
It can be done DIY, but agreed, it's not your typical DIY job. I've done my own timing belts, so it's not out of my realm.

Upvote 0
Where’s the link?

What I was primarily referring to are the possibilities other than the full reseal job, but it seems that I wasn't clear enough about that. And there's no link, because this activity is all ad hoc, depending on observed findings and results.

Here's the rough framework I'd use for oil found on a timing cover. First, a careful examination of the timing and valve cover surfaces, and everything else close by as well. Removing the plastic wheel well shield provides access and a good look at the lower cover and bolts, and an inspection camera can be used to see some of the upper ones as well. Take pics of any surfaces having oil deposits. Then the entire timing and valve cover surfaces get cleaned up as much as possible.

Next, I'd check the timing cover bolts with an inch torque wrench, so find out if any of them have loosened up. For bolts that can only be reached with a box wrench, I'd give just a tug on it to check for looseness. If any loose bolts are found, I'd try to apply some RTV into that section of the cover - either via RTV spray can, or by hand-packing a small bit into the area. Then after waiting for the specified RTV setup time, torque the loose bolt(s) to spec.

After doing whatever the above turns out to be, I'd button it up and drive it for a few hundred miles or so, before taking another close look at the cover, to get the next checkpoint. If the leak/weep continues to happen, the final thing to try (after cleaning the surface really well) is to apply RTV to the leak location of the cover, using either an RTV spray can or by hand-packing. This is simply an attempt to block the exit point(s), and if the surface is clean and free of oil, a small amount of RTV can be very effective when applied that way.

As others have said previously, the amount of leakage is a huge factor in what (if anything) needs to be done with a leak/weep from a cover or pan. And that, along with the target life for the vehicle, would determine what my future plan would be.

I've had success doing what I described above, and it would be my automatic go-to, without any second thoughts. And AFA the full timing cover reseal job, yes that's certainly not something that every DIYer would want to consider doing. It would be up to each individual to make that decision, based on their DIY knowledge base and skills, along with their comfort level for that job.

Upvote 0
Timing chain cover leak. Second time around!

I had the timing chain cover repaired under warranty due to oil leak in January 2023. About a 3 hour repair. In July 2023 I noticed a small seep from around the timing chain cover. Last week I noticed oil staining on the underside of plastic belly pan cover accessing the oil pan. The oil level on the dip stick was fine. I put it up on the ramps and crawled under to take a look. The seep had grown to substantial leak (mileage 43,153 km).

Took it back to the Mazda dealer for repair and suggested to the service manager that perhaps they should consider allowing the RTV sealant time (e.g., 15-20 hrs.) to cure before releasing the vehicle. Their inspection revealed "Leaks seems to originate from the timing belt cover junction. Silicone missing at some points." The repair was completed again. This time they had the vehicle for 2 days. Here is the description of the repair from the work order:

Replaced valve cover gasket
Replaced valve cover seal
Replaced solenoid gasket
Added dye to oil
Preformed road test
Leak test preformed (no leak found)
Changed oil and filter to clear dye
Preformed road test
Leak test preformed (no leak found)
Fixed now

We will see if it is really fixed this time around. The power train warranty expires in March 2024. I not sure if its time to find a replacement or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The description on the work order references valve cover gasket and seal but no mention of anything about the timing chain cover.

Upvote 0
^^^ Here is the explanation from the service manager. During the first repair they had to remove the valve cover in order to take off the timing chain cover. During this repair they didn't seal the valve cover correctly (missing sealant in some places). This was the reason for the leakage as described in the work order "leak seems to originate from timing belt cover junction". This time around they didn't have to remove the timing chain cover. They only needed to repair the valve cover seal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back