help needed! gearbox/clutch problem!

FLAMEBOY

:
Mazda3 Red SP23
i dont know what to do anymore.... :(
this is my final try before i take off the gearbox for full inspection... which will cost lots of $$ here...

problem:
1. when i put in the 3rd gear, sometimes the rev just goes up quicker than usual but the car feel not going anywhere (like not in gear, and i heard grinding sound)

2. sometimes, if i successfully engage the 3rd gear, when i drive on low rpm (2000-3000) on the uphill, the gear shifter will pops back to in-between 3rd and neutral. and my car not moving forward... feel like neutral but not on neutral position...

3. if i dont shift from 4th to 3rd, no problem... but if i upshift, always either pops out or just not in gear properly....

i'm confuse... all i know is:

1. my car is not that powerful to be able to break the gearbox...
2. sometimes it works fine (3 out of 5), the 3rd gear if fine....
3. i never 'flat-shift' (well i tried it 1 or 2 time only :p)... always lift my accelerator when i shift
4. i do 'zig-zag' movement from 2nd to 3rd gear, not straight diagonal movement when i up-shift....

help me please.... i want to try to avoid opening my gear box as much as i can....

thanks in advance guys....

Last edited:
The pop out could be a poorly aligned shifter linkage but the "Power Problem" sounds like something much worse...

Your clutch is going, thats why the tired gear appears to be slipping. The Gear popping out during deceleration means either main shaft is damaged and/or 3rd gear cog in damaged also. You will have to remove the gear box to inspect this and while this is being done the clutch will have to be replaced. Running slicks on a stock clutch at a drag strip will result on premature clutch wear.

Advice: drain gear box oil and inspect it for metal fragments and chances are you will find quit a bit. .02 Good luck.

doogie said:
Your clutch is going, thats why the tired gear appears to be slipping. The Gear popping out during deceleration means either main shaft is damaged and/or 3rd gear cog in damaged also. You will have to remove the gear box to inspect this and while this is being done the clutch will have to be replaced. Running slicks on a stock clutch at a drag strip will result on premature clutch wear.

Advice: drain gear box oil and inspect it for metal fragments and chances are you will find quit a bit. .02 Good luck.

How do u figure thats the clutch??? If it were the clutch it should do it into every gear. Theres been a few people with problems with 3rd gear so if ANYTHING i would put my $$ on that goin b4 the clutch.

Flameboy check the shift cable linkages. Theres a little bracket that mounts on the block and holds the cables before they get to the transmission, the plastic clips that go in there might have come loose. And if the rear motor mount is bent that could have very easily made the shift cables come out of adjustment.

I am helping not argueing, this individual will have to first drain the gearbox oil before removing it to inspect the internals. Also the clutch will be exposed so.....get it? Just an opinion that's it...take it or leave it, it is up the person that has the problem.

Last edited:
sounds like your 3rd gear his failing...
many experienced that...seems you'll need a new gear/tranny

doogie said:
I am helping not argueing, this individual will have to first drain the gearbox oil before removing it to inspect the internals. Also the clutch will be exposed so.....get it? Just an opinion that's it...take it or leave it, it is up the person that has the problem.

read your first sentence "your clutch is going, thats why the tired gear appears to be slipping."

Regardless though, i doubt thats the case. I would first check my linkages and see if you can put it into 3rd gear at the trans (remove the battery box and other plastic crap and you gotta straight shot at it i think). Check to see how bad that motor mount is too. Start with the simple stuff, draining the trans is a good idea after u check some other things.

i'm putting the car in for a full transmission inspection next week... i will let u guys know the progress.... wish me luck... hope this dont cost lots of $$$ (boom06)

FLAMEBOY said:
i'm putting the car in for a full transmission inspection next week... i will let u guys know the progress.... wish me luck... hope this dont cost lots of $$$ (boom06)

thanks everyone for their suggestion, comments, and advices....

FLAMEBOY said:
3rd gear is gone, same thing happend to me, my repair was under warrenty

Mazda3ofKent said:
3rd gear is gone, same thing happend to me, my repair was under warrenty

it has no problem going into the 3rd... but its sometime cant stay on the 3rd.... (boom07)

you could be right....

what do you tell them when you claim it on warranty?

FLAMEBOY said:
it has no problem going into the 3rd... but its sometime cant stay on the 3rd.... (boom07)

you could be right....

what do you tell them when you claim it on warranty?
yeah thats what mine was doing, I siad it was not going in to third, they fixed it and did not give me any flak about it, but all I have is CAI, but it is a defect that they are awear of

Hello all. I have been reading every last thread on this website since I discovered it about a week ago. I'm glad there are people out there that are as serious about there 3 as I am. This is my very first post

Flameboy let me know what happens. I just dropped off my 3 at the dealership today for the SAME EXACT thing. The service manager there told me otherwise, but I believe this is a very common problem with 3s in particular. 3rd gear started acting up un me about 7000 miles ago. Now, it won't even engage. My dealership acted like they were going to give me a hard time about it being under warranty. After all the complaints I've read over the internet, I'm convinced it wasn't my driving. I'm just saying, if they try to, don't let them say it was your fault. Even if it was, there are so many cases of this, they shouldn't even question it. I won't have an update on mine untill about the 18th. Oh yeah... IS yours still under warranty?

Threedog said:
Hello all. I have been reading every last thread on this website since I discovered it about a week ago. I'm glad there are people out there that are as serious about there 3 as I am. This is my very first post

Flameboy let me know what happens. I just dropped off my 3 at the dealership today for the SAME EXACT thing. The service manager there told me otherwise, but I believe this is a very common problem with 3s in particular. 3rd gear started acting up un me about 7000 miles ago. Now, it won't even engage. My dealership acted like they were going to give me a hard time about it being under warranty. After all the complaints I've read over the internet, I'm convinced it wasn't my driving. I'm just saying, if they try to, don't let them say it was your fault. Even if it was, there are so many cases of this, they shouldn't even question it. I won't have an update on mine untill about the 18th. Oh yeah... IS yours still under warranty?

i just got my car back from MAZDA... last thursday

they havent finish fixing it... they ask me to bring it back next week... since they need whole 2 days to pull the gearbox apart again and fix whatever broken...

PROBLEM found so far:
1. the CV joint is broken - replaced by warranty
2. drive shaft bearing shattered - replaced by warranty
3. gearbox - they still arguing....
the last thing is the gearbox, the suspect me abusing the car excessively... and doing burn out! **** that... i never do that... not so easy to do in a FWD with 85KW atw...

and their making up excuses like, my TWM short shifter is probably causing the problem and cause the gear not selecting properly.... then i put back to stock, the 3rd gear still have problem.... i knew it... damn it! wasting my time... now im trying to get it through mazda australia... wish me luck guys....

You put an aftermarket shifter that increases the stress put on the shifter forks and synchros. You put on an aftermarket motor mount that increases the stress and vibrations put on the transmission. You admitted putting on "semi-slicks" and running at the dragstrip numerous times.

And now you want Mazda to pay for you destroying your transmission. You obviously launched pretty hard to break the cv shaft and support bearing.

Man up and pay for the repair.

BlkZoomZoom said:
You put an aftermarket shifter that increases the stress put on the shifter forks and synchros. You put on an aftermarket motor mount that increases the stress and vibrations put on the transmission. You admitted putting on "semi-slicks" and running at the dragstrip numerous times.

And now you want Mazda to pay for you destroying your transmission. You obviously launched pretty hard to break the cv shaft and support bearing.

Man up and pay for the repair.

hmmm... but why the 3rd only? not the 1st and 2nd? my clutch still perfect, 1st and 2nd gear nothing wrong....

3rd gear is usually the one hurt fastest, in pretty much any transmission. Thats like asking why is the sky blue.

BlkZoomZoom said:
3rd gear is usually the one hurt fastest, in pretty much any transmission. Thats like asking why is the sky blue.

I would like to respectfully disagree, Too manny pepole have had 3rd gear issues for it to be an abuse problem, my delar has had to replace seven in this area, its something i think they know about, but a recall would be too costly

I have never had nor have seen a problem with one yet. Obviously not that big of problem.

BlkZoomZoom said:
I have never had nor have seen a problem with one yet. Obviously not that big of problem.

hey man WAKE UP!

so many had 3rd gear failures!
I really do not see how this could be the results of the mount and the short shifter, comon (deadhorse

Back