Help me decide: 2017 CX5 or 2017 Mazda3 hatch?

CX5 or Mazda3 for daily driver

• 2017 Mazda3 Hatch GT

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 2017 CX5 GT

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
Actually the gas mileage in the Mazda 3 hatch is much better than my cx5 gt AWD. i do love the way the cx-5 handles compared to my wife's Sorento but it's not even close to driving the Mazda 3 hatch. i also miss the 5 cd changer (old school). Turning corners without slowing down is really a big deal - also passing on 2 way roads with one lane each way. i don't know if it matters but the hatch was a 2.3 turbo.
Based on the info you provided about your Mazda3 hatchback, you had a Gen1 Mazdaspeed3/MPS. That car will definitely corner a lot better than a CX-5. Unless you are getting below 26 MPG on your CX-5 though, I don't see how a Mazdaspeed3/MPS can consistently beat the CX-5 on fuel mileage. I can beat our CX-5 fuel mileage if on a road trip and I keep it at or below 65 mph, otherwise the Speed3 just uses up more gas than the CX-5 on everyday driving.

Yeah, I think it has the same wheelbase and overall length of the 3, but it's as wide as the 6, and it has more rear legroom than both.
Yes, checked the measurements and more leg room than Mazda 6 although very slightly less front leg room

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I was planning to get the Mazda 3 and upgrade to a bigger car once the family got bigger.
But my wife asked "Why not buy the bigger car now? Do you really want to spend thousands again if a baby is on the way?"
We are now driving a CX-5.

I was planning to get the Mazda 3 and upgrade to a bigger car once the family got bigger.
But my wife asked "Why not buy the bigger car now? Do you really want to spend thousands again if a baby is on the way?"

Did you ask her if she has something she wants to tell you ;)

Cool. Sounds like a good enough reason for no "baby #2" around here, the CX-5 isn't big enough, and she's brand new. Lol

Cool. Sounds like a good enough reason for no "baby #2" around here, the CX-5 isn't big enough, and she's brand new. Lol

You can just get 2 baby seats/capsules in but that's about it.

Maybe 2 strollers in the cargo area

You can just get 2 baby seats/capsules in but that's about it.

Maybe 2 strollers in the cargo area

Yea, I know you can, but it's overkill IMO. I can already tell by the time she's 2, I'm going to have to bend her to get her in. It's rougher than I anticipated already at one. It won't force me to sell it, and I sure hope that's the only problems I encounter with this car is personal.

I don't wanna another baby honestly man, but a dog would be great (close to a baby in some ways)...

Yea, I know you can, but it's overkill IMO. I can already tell by the time she's 2, I'm going to have to bend her to get her in. It's rougher than I anticipated already at one. It won't force me to sell it, and I sure hope that's the only problems I encounter with this car is personal.

Try a CX-9 perhaps in the future?

Would lowering springs bring the more of the handling/fun closer to a mazda3? Pretty sure that's what happened when first gen owners lowered their's but I don't know.

Would lowering springs bring the more of the handling/fun closer to a mazda3? Pretty sure that's what happened when first gen owners lowered their's but I don't know.

Sort of defeats the purpose of having a higher ground clearance (scratch)

Once they are front facing you get much better room (but run the risk of getting the back of the seat pummeled by toddler shoes). We actually can fit 2 convertibles in back and my wife can fit between them. I'm guessing you get about 4 more inches of width on the rear bench. It can be done, I hauled both of my kids since they were born in the 3 (one is 3.5 and the other one is 1.5 years old now) but if you are taller than 5'6"ish you will feel cramped up front with the 3. The CX-5 is borderline with the rear facing seat we have but fine as a front facing.

And yes for the ease of entry for putting kid in car. I think the opening of the door in the CX5 is better for putting kid into a rear facing seat. Also easier when said kid is 24lbs and you have to bend down to put him in at least 2x a day EVERY DAY. I'll take a pic when I get the car back from clear bra install.

That said I think when they get older and if team sports are involved we might have to sacrifice one of the two cars for something with sliding doors.

Last edited:
If this helps anyone, a few years ago, I took a 2014 Mazda 3 (current shape) for a test drive and I just fit in the drivers seat (6"2) but it left no leg room for the passenger directly behind my seat.

Yes. I embarrassed a gen/BM mazda3 on the highway this week when I passed it wot through 90 MPH on a curve and I could see clearly him fighting oversteer. However he was stock and the 3 is failwheel drive.. It's also worth noting my mods would be unacceptable in comfort/noise for most drivers. I able to keep up with modded sports sedans, and out cornered some speed3's at low speed sharp cornering (awd+mods) But you can get some unexpected maneuverability out of a lightly (not noisy/uncomfortable) modded cx-5.

Sort of defeats the purpose of having a higher ground clearance (scratch)
Only if you need the clearance. Realistically, I think it's safe to say the majority of us would be find ground clearance wise in a mazda 6. Personally I value the internal volume (main factor), the AWD (I don't like failwheel drive, Mirage is an exception) and the optional towing. When I had my H&R springs (higher than mz6) I've never once felt that I needed more than a sedan height clearance when I've taken my car onto dirt/country roads. With my current setup I just have to be weary large dips and angles.

edit
Forgot this was for the 2017.. mods haven't caught up with it yet except some probably expensive coils out of japan...

Last edited:
Only if you need the clearance. Realistically, I think it's safe to say the majority of us would be find ground clearance wise in a mazda 6. Personally I value the internal volume (main factor), the AWD (I don't like failwheel drive, Mirage is an exception) and the optional towing. When I had my H&R springs (higher than mz6) I've never once felt that I needed more than a sedan height clearance when I've taken my car onto dirt/country roads. With my current setup I just have to be weary large dips and angles.

edit
Forgot this was for the 2017.. mods haven't caught up with it yet except some probably expensive coils out of japan...

I have a current shape Mazda6 at the moment and yes the ground clearance is fine for me but having to take with me some older people, they find it not as good especially when getting in and out of it plus when they are in the passenger seat, the don't have the feeling of being slightly higher up whilst the car is moving. I can see where they are coming from.

One of the reasons I am moving to a CX-5 is indeed internal volume. From reading the specs, it has a bit more leg room in the back at the small expense of front leg room. The cargo area up to seats is a bit smaller than my 6 but at least I won't have to bend down and into the boot to get stuff out as I do in my 6.

AWD for me would be a nice change and may provided some added security when in rains.

Our country roads or for the fact of the matter normal roads are fairly sub-par so having a bit more movement in the suspension (CX-5) would be good.

Back