Help me decide: 2017 CX5 or 2017 Mazda3 hatch?

CX5 or Mazda3 for daily driver

• 2017 Mazda3 Hatch GT

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 2017 CX5 GT

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
i went from on 07 3 hatch and i miss it dearly. yeah extra space is nice but we have a sorento for that, ground clearance was the deciding factor as our new house was in a new development where the roads where not fully paved and manholes where like 2+ inches high. hit one and went straight to the dealer to trade out of the 3. might go back when the roads are fixed. so i am leasing :)
What do you miss about the 07 3 hatch? Apart from higher amounts of body roll due to higher ground clearance, the new CX-5 is faster and will get similar if not better fuel economy than a 07 Mazda3 hatchback. I used to own a 2010 Mazda3 with the 2.5 engine and I think the 2016 CX-5 is faster than that car and get similar fuel economy. The Mazda3 is more nimble/agile and generally more fun to drive on corners though, and you will never get that with the CX-5 unless you lower it.

Do you need to carry children or passengers on anything more than short trips?
Do you need AWD?
Do you need extra the cargo space?

If the answer to all three questions is no, then I would lean towards the Mazda3. If you take long trips on the highway, the new CX-5 has a quieter, plusher highway ride which might be something to consider also. But you do give up a fair bit of performance and fun factor.

Do you need to carry children or passengers on anything more than short trips?
Do you need AWD?
Do you need extra the cargo space?

If the answer to all three questions is no, then I would lean towards the Mazda3. If you take long trips on the highway, the new CX-5 has a quieter, plusher highway ride which might be something to consider also. But you do give up a fair bit of performance and fun factor.

You can still have some fun with the CX-5. All depends on how close you want to the CX-5 limits (wink)

What do you miss about the 07 3 hatch? Apart from higher amounts of body roll due to higher ground clearance, the new CX-5 is faster and will get similar if not better fuel economy than a 07 Mazda3 hatchback. I used to own a 2010 Mazda3 with the 2.5 engine and I think the 2016 CX-5 is faster than that car and get similar fuel economy. The Mazda3 is more nimble/agile and generally more fun to drive on corners though, and you will never get that with the CX-5 unless you lower it.

Actually the gas mileage in the Mazda 3 hatch is much better than my cx5 gt AWD. i do love the way the cx-5 handles compared to my wife's Sorento but it's not even close to driving the Mazda 3 hatch. i also miss the 5 cd changer (old school). Turning corners without slowing down is really a big deal - also passing on 2 way roads with one lane each way. i don't know if it matters but the hatch was a 2.3 turbo.

That was a gas guzzler from memory

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If I were to get a CX-5, I would probably lower it but what would be the best to retain the ride, but have a better time around corners and bring the fun meter closer to a Mazda3?

Only options I've know were lowering springs or to bag it.

Which route have first gen CX-5 owners taken to lower theirs, but retaining similar ride quality?

That was a gas guzzler from memory

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well i kept my very well maintained. it it whizzed around the country (NC, SC). didn't bother it one bit if a BM, Lexus or Merc pulled up along side.

one thing i forgot to mention is that - yes the cx 5 in sport mode is pretty damn fast. so fast in fact i scare the crap outta myself and i haven't use it since. :)

Well i kept my very well maintained. it it whizzed around the country (NC, SC). didn't bother it one bit if a BM, Lexus or Merc pulled up along side.

Fair enough.

Was just commenting on fuel use as reviewers here at the time stated the 2.3L turbo in the MPS (the name of our hotted up 3) said it drank fairly heavily.

If I were to get a CX-5, I would probably lower it but what would be the best to retain the ride, but have a better time around corners and bring the fun meter closer to a Mazda3?

Only options I've know were lowering springs or to bag it.

Which route have first gen CX-5 owners taken to lower theirs, but retaining similar ride quality?

H&R springs I believe seem to be the best to lower it and retain the stock ride quality

You can still have some fun with the CX-5. All depends on how close you want to the CX-5 limits (wink)

I have found this is true with any car. At one point in my life, my weekend toy was a 3200# 505bhp Z06, and my daily was a 3100# 145bhp(?something like that) G20 SR20DE. I had fun in both of them. Someone else on here brought up the point that you adapt to what you drive. Absolutely true!

I have found this is true with any car. At one point in my life, my weekend toy was a 3200# 505bhp Z06, and my daily was a 3100# 145bhp(?something like that) G20 SR20DE. I had fun in both of them. Someone else on here brought up the point that you adapt to what you drive. Absolutely true!

Here here! (mj)

Re: fuel use. My 17 Mazda 3 GT is averaging ~7L / 100km or less in my typical driving. About 75% Hwy with stop and go and the odd backroad flogging in there.

Our 17 CX-5 AWD only has ~1,500 kms on it so far but it's averaging ~9.4L / 100km in 70% city driving so far. Not sure how that will average out as time goes on with it. Pretty impressed for mainly around town in a bigger / heavier / AWD car.

We own both a 3 and CX-5. The cx-5 has much more interior space and a bigger hatch - if you ever need to transport furniture, you'll be glad you have it. More comfortable on road trips also, and more ground clearance if you ever need to go down gravel and dirt roads, into a field etc.

The 3 gets better gas and is less tippy in the turns (although for its size and market, the cx-5 is superb in this respect). The 3 costs less. The 2.0L in the 3 is perfectly fine but if you can swing it, put the 2.5 in. Although I think it gets into cx-5 price territory then.

Back