healthy = $$$

blizz81 said:
The only answer for me is something with pseudoephedrine...which is a great solution (if you're a closet methamphetamine addict).

Yeah...and if my soul was left over, it'd be so pissed at me if I'd tried to spend my life being the epitome of healthy and died early, or even worse, of a heart attack or something. "All that tofu....for THIS? You're in for an eternity of hurt, buddy!"

Of course, I'm still 6'1 145lbs, so I'll keep packin down those 20pc chicken mcnuggets with little to no remorse. For now. :D
You bring up another great side of the problem. Why try so hard now if you're going to end up in the eternal hereafter anyway. There are so many different people with so many different ideas about how things turn out. The arguments are so interconnected and yet so vastly deep that I don't believe anyone could honestly explore it to it's end.

I believe that we have to look at what is good for the society as a whole is good for the individual as well...at least in these matters when the actions of the society affect not only the present, but the future for thousands of years to come. Our society has always been very selfish and our abuse of the enviroment is a prime example. Who cares what problems come up 200 years from now? Someone will have to live with our mistakes and that isn't the world I want anyone's children to have to suffer through. I don't want my granchildren to suffer watching me slowly rot away bedridden from cancer like I had to watch my grandfather.

xelderx said:
I believe that we have to look at what is good for the society as a whole is good for the individual as well...at least in these matters when the actions of the society affect not only the present, but the future for thousands of years to come. Our society has always been very selfish and our abuse of the enviroment is a prime example. Who cares what problems come up 200 years from now? Someone will have to live with our mistakes and that isn't the world I want anyone's children to have to suffer through. I don't want my granchildren to suffer watching me slowly rot away bedridden from cancer like I had to watch my grandfather.

I'm glad you said "always been" instead of commenting on the decay of modern society. I love it when people inject that into social commentary...like the world was some Utopia until the 20th century rolled around or something.

Society has a LONNNNNNG way to go before there's cooperation on the mass Star-Trek-world-type ideal scale that perhaps you'd like to see. But you can always tell yourself at least you're trying to put in work in your own ways.

blizz81 said:
I'm glad you said "always been" instead of commenting on the decay of modern society. I love it when people inject that into social commentary...like the world was some Utopia until the 20th century rolled around or something.

Society has a LONNNNNNG way to go before there's cooperation on the mass Star-Trek-world-type ideal scale that perhaps you'd like to see. But you can always tell yourself at least you're trying to put in work in your own ways.
Exactly...I just want to be able to say that I tried my best.

edit>>> Also , todays lunch menu includes vegan chili

2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 container of extra firm tofu
1 packet of chili starter

and a soymilk banana strawberry smoothie for dessert.

Oops..correction...1 can of kidney beans

I could eat at Taco Bell for cheaper, but who the hell would want to.

Last edited:
Okay ,for breakfast today i had 2 tunafish sandwhiches and a stale bottle of gatorade.

MMMMMMM.

Dexter said:
Okay ,for breakfast today i had 2 tunafish sandwhiches and a stale bottle of gatorade.

MMMMMMM.
Intresting fact....That Reese's Puffs cereal is vegan..at least if you eat it with soymilk.

xelderx said:
Intresting fact....That Reese's Puffs cereal is vegan..at least if you eat it with soymilk.
Let's see...

Tonight, it was arugula and mixed greens salad w/tomatoes, red onion and sliced cucumber, w/Calabrese and Calamata olives; wild and brown mixed rice; sea scallops with a potpourri of diced red pepper, onions, and Asian pepper sauce in olive oil, and a dash of fresh garlic accompanied by a nice Semillon.

Excellent and healthy fare, gentlemen. Dammit, it was tasty...

My wife's Sicilian--they sleep with knives--decided a while back we were consuming too many pasta dishes, of which she's a sensational cook, needless to say. You agree, or she'll send Uncle Sechi out to do a knee job on you.

She's dropped three dress sizes to a six, I've lost 8 pounds, she's developing biceps, I'm trying to keep up and we're both loving it.

Sex life is great and the food's even better.

Salute'! :)

Last edited:
gino said:
Let's see...

Tonight, it was arugula and mixed greens salad w/tomatoes, red onion and sliced cucumber, w/Calabrese and Calamata olives; wild and brown mixed rice; sea scallops with a potpourri of diced red pepper, onions, and Asian pepper sauce in olive oil, and a dash of fresh garlic accompanied by a nice Semillon.

Excellent and healthy fare, gentlemen. Dammit, it was tasty...

My wife's Sicilian--they sleep with knives--decided a while back we were consuming too many pasta dishes, of which she's a sensational cook, needless to say. You agree, or she'll send Uncle Sechi out to do a knee job on you.

She's dropped three dress sizes to a six, I've lost 8 pounds, she's developing biceps, I'm trying to keep up and we're both loving it.

Sex life is great and the food's even better.

Salute'! :)
I had left over vegan chili...cause I'm poor and single.(nervous)

I think I'll have a McDonalds Big Breakfast, well if there is enough rainforest to cut down for the sausage.

One of the things you need to consider about vegan living however, is that a great majority of vegetarians and vegans fail to get the proper nutrients to maintain themselves. There are exceptions I suppose, but I personally know 3 people (women), who were pretty much so ordered to start eating meat and dairy again to prevent bone loss be healthier. An interesting fact, the skeleton of a vegetarian is easily identifiable from that of a non meat eater- the bones are pitted and stripped do to a lack of nutrients.....
On the other side however, one of my good friends is a doctor out in Maine, he's been a vegetarian(not vegan) forever- and is the epitome of good health. I think it can be done, but you have to be much more careful.

Another good book to read that touches upon these topics is "Ishmael" By Daniel Quinn. Great book which includes a gorilla.

shinzen said:
One of the things you need to consider about vegan living however, is that a great majority of vegetarians and vegans fail to get the proper nutrients to maintain themselves. There are exceptions I suppose, but I personally know 3 people (women), who were pretty much so ordered to start eating meat and dairy again to prevent bone loss be healthier. An interesting fact, the skeleton of a vegetarian is easily identifiable from that of a non meat eater- the bones are pitted and stripped do to a lack of nutrients.....
On the other side however, one of my good friends is a doctor out in Maine, he's been a vegetarian(not vegan) forever- and is the epitome of good health. I think it can be done, but you have to be much more careful.
Very good point. I've been Vegan for 7 years and my health, although not bad when I was eating normal, has improved...especially in the first year or 2 after I changed. I was lucky enough to have a friend that helped me and made sure that I was doing things properly right from the start. All people...not just Vegans should take a multi-vitamin once a day.

The women being ordered to eat meat and dairy again due to boneloss is either a rare case or they weren't getting the proper combination of foods, because Osteoperosis is caused more by eating too much protein than by not getting enough calcium. The eccess protien in most meat-eaters systems (the majority of people eat way too much protien) causes an overly acidic blood composition and the body takes calcium depositis out of the bones to neutralize the blood. Then the eccess protien is filtered out of the body though the kidneys (causing damage there as well) and taking the calcium with it. Also, caffiene and alcohol can deplete calcium resources in the body. You also have to look at Calcium absorbtion. The absorbtion of calcium into the body from low-oxelate vegatables like broccoli and collard greens is just as good as the calcium absorbtion from an 8oz glass of milk even though milk contians much more calcium and it comes at the cost of 6 times the calories and 42 of those from saturated fat.

It goes back to what I mentioned about proper nutrients. It is possible to be vegan and healthy, but it is very difficult to maintain the proper dietary needs, when compared to a standard or a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. The primary deficiencies are in b-12, vitamin d, iron, calcium, and zinc. Can all of these be found in a vegetable diet? Yes, with reservations. I am not knocking a vegan diet, just cautioning that you need to be very careful or your health will suffer. In this day and age of fewer people cooking for themselves, finding places to go out and eat a healthy vegan bill of fare is not possible in some areas of the country, so you have to be completely commited to eating right all the time. I'll get off my soapbox now

xelderx said:
Very good point. I've been Vegan for 7 years and my health, although not bad when I was eating normal, has improved...especially in the first year or 2 after I changed. I was lucky enough to have a friend that helped me and made sure that I was doing things properly right from the start. All people...not just Vegans should take a multi-vitamin once a day.

The women being ordered to eat meat and dairy again due to boneloss is either a rare case or they weren't getting the proper combination of foods, because Osteoperosis is caused more by eating too much protein than by not getting enough calcium. The eccess protien in most meat-eaters systems (the majority of people eat way too much protien) causes an overly acidic blood composition and the body takes calcium depositis out of the bones to neutralize the blood. Then the eccess protien is filtered out of the body though the kidneys (causing damage there as well) and taking the calcium with it. Also, caffiene and alcohol can deplete calcium resources in the body. You also have to look at Calcium absorbtion. The absorbtion of calcium into the body from low-oxelate vegatables like broccoli and collard greens is just as good as the calcium absorbtion from an 8oz glass of milk even though milk contians much more calcium and it comes at the cost of 6 times the calories and 42 of those from saturated fat.

shinzen said:
It goes back to what I mentioned about proper nutrients. It is possible to be vegan and healthy, but it is very difficult to maintain the proper dietary needs, when compared to a standard or a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. The primary deficiencies are in b-12, vitamin d, iron, calcium, and zinc. Can all of these be found in a vegetable diet? Yes, with reservations. I am not knocking a vegan diet, just cautioning that you need to be very careful or your health will suffer. In this day and age of fewer people cooking for themselves, finding places to go out and eat a healthy vegan bill of fare is not possible in some areas of the country, so you have to be completely commited to eating right all the time. I'll get off my soapbox now
You are exactly correct...the key is in the diet and the combination of foods. I'm lucky to live in an area that, while not on the cutting edge of culture, it does have plenty of things I can eat if I choose to go out to eat. If I go out I frequent Mexican (bean burritos w/o cheese and a side of rice), Chinese (tofu anything), Indian (try the Chana Masala), Sub shops (veggie no cheese..aka salad on bread), Meditereanean (falafel's and pita w/ hummus). Even the Chili's right around the corner allows me to supplement a bean patty on any of their burgers. I also try to stay very active at least outside of work where I'm sitting in a chair staring at a computer screen for 12 hours a day.

Yeah, sounds like you have some great choices around you- and I really enjoy some of that fare- I would reccommend for people at home to try some of the tastybite entrees from your local healthfood store for easy and quick- the jaipur lentils and the bombay potatoes I really like- and you can order them online for cheap- and the lentils in particular have a good mix of protein/carbs and vitamins...

Latest posts

Back