Happy hangover!

Pretzellogic

Contributor
:
Das Pretzelwagon
So, anyone suffering from their New Year's Bender? Let Pretzellogic make it all better.

Well, I suppose you're through the worst of it already, but you can print this out for the next time you plan on consuming mass quantities.

Dr. Pretzel's Hangover cures:

1) Drink lots of water. I mean glasses and glasses. Preferably, drink water before you hit the mattress/floor. If you can't do that, and you wake up with a hangover, get started. Gatorade is even better, if you've got some.
2) Vitamins. Take them. You need A, B complex (B6 especially), and C, as the alcohol has washed them away. In fact, it doesn't hurt to take these (especially B complex) before a bender.
3) This is my patented hangover breakfast:
- Fry up some eggs in a good bit of salted butter (even better: fry up some bacon and then cook the eggs in the fat). Scramble them over low heat, but don't add any milk.
- Remove them from the pan when they are still a little underdone. The carryover heat will finish them, and you want them soft.
- Toast up some white bread (it's the easiest to digest)
- Shred the toast into the eggs. Add some more butter if you need it to soften it up a bit. If you used bacon, crumble that and add it too.
- Add a shitload of black pepper, or you can also go with some tabasco. (The "heat" helps combat nausea).
- Mix up and chow down.
For some reason that I'm not currently aware of, greasy foods really help hangovers. This combonation, which was created specially at Pretzel Labs Inc., is the best at killing or at least dullling many of the symptoms.
4) Bannanas are a great hangover food. They act as a natural antiacid, are easy to digest, and have more potassium than anything, and potassium is something you also need after your binge. A peanutbutter, honey, and bannana sandwich is great hangover food, as it helps a bunch of the symptoms and isn't too hard to digest.
5) While Asprin (and Excedrin, which is asprin, Tylonol, and caffeine) is great for headaches, it's also hard on the stomach. Stick to Advil (the liquidgels are the best).
6) Coffee is good, but remember it dehydrates you (but you're drinking buckets of water already, right?). Also, if you take it black (as I do), you don't today. Add honey instead of sugar (fructose is absorbed quicker than sucrose, so it helps to replace sugars you've lost and you feel better quicker), and non-dairy creamer is better than milk/cream if you can find it (milk is like sugar in our proverbial gastank, and really hard to digest. The best way to make yourself hurl is by drinking/eating dairy)
7) Take a hot bath. You'll feel a little woozy, but it's worth it a little later. This helps you to sweat out some of the remaining toxins. Besides, you're horizontal, and that's always good when you feel horrible.
8) Did I mention drinking a ton of water? In fact, drink while you're in the bath.

Anyone else have any tried and true methods?

Last edited:
looks like someone still cant make any sense.

well what I do that works for me is about an hour before I go to call it a night I drink buckets of water. I drink that water like it's going out of style or something. Then before bed I have a couple of glasses of water along with some Ibuprofen. This has worked on many occasions even letting me just rest on less than 7 hours of sleep after drinking the night before till the cows come home, but they never did so the drinking continued. It may not wor for everyone but it's worked for me and I haven't had a hangover in years.

vindication said:
looks like someone still cant make any sense.

well what I do that works for me is about an hour before I go to call it a night I drink buckets of water. I drink that water like it's going out of style or something. Then before bed I have a couple of glasses of water along with some Ibuprofen. This has worked on many occasions even letting me just rest on less than 7 hours of sleep after drinking the night before till the cows come home, but they never did so the drinking continued. It may not wor for everyone but it's worked for me and I haven't had a hangover in years.

I do the same thing minus the ibuprofen. I don't take any painkillers with alcohol...acetaminophen (Tylenol) causes liver problems, ibuprofen (Advil) can cause ulcers, aspirin & naproxen can cause nausea/upset stomach, and narcotics can cause respiratory depression and DEATH. Although I do take my normal (low) dose of MSIR (morphine sulfate immediate release) every night for my back pain, but I have been taking that for months now and have built up a tolerance for the side effects so the combo doesn't affect me any more than the alcohol alone would. This is of course NOT RECOMMENDED at all!! I am under a doctor's supervision and know that my prescribed dose produces absolutely no side effects at all. Alcohol + narcotic painkillers is a dangerous combination and I have seen what happens when you combine them many, many times answering 9-1-1 calls. [/disclaimer]

But I drink loads of water....I always have a glass of water next to my alcoholic drink. I try to drink one full glass of water for every alcoholic drink. Then, when I get home, I chug a massive amount of water or Gatorade. The only time I have gotten a hangover is when I did not follow this ritual! The worst of the hangover symptoms is caused by dehydration. Other than that, taking a B vitamin complex is a good idea, as alcohol severly depletes you of B vitamins. Potassium too (which is why bananas are a good thing). Tomatoes seem to work pretty well, the antioxidants help remove the toxins. This may be why a Bloody Mary seems to be the prime 'hangover drink'. The alcohol numbs the pain, the tomato juice filters out some of the toxins. Although the 'hair of the dog' cure is dangerous in its own sense...drinking more of what caused the problem in the first place seems counterproductive. But it does work for some people.

[/end rant]

Pretzel has some great advice...from someone with a medical background, every single point makes sense. But like everything else, trial and error is necessary. What works great for one person may not work at all for the other. Keep hydrated though, and you will definitely prevent all but the most worst of hangovers.

My method of not getting a hangover, stick to one type of drink. A "friend" and I drank a bottle of vodka last night. If I had just one beer with that vodka I would still not be functioning yet today. Luckily for me I just drank the vodka last night and I was able to leave early this morning without a trace...hehe

ohh, I'd like to point out, the ibuprofen is only taken in extreme cases when I know I'm going to get less than 7hrs of sleep or when I drink more than I should

I woke up and continued drinking. If you let the buzz wear off the hangover will take its place. Stay drunk.

jersey_emt said:
Pretzel has some great advice...from someone with a medical background, every single point makes sense. But like everything else, trial and error is necessary. What works great for one person may not work at all for the other. Keep hydrated though, and you will definitely prevent all but the most worst of hangovers.
It's been nothing but trial and error, with a bunch of home remedies and a bit of science thrown in for good measure.

You wouldn't happen to know why greasy food seems to help, would you? It's the only part of Dr. Pretzel's treatment that I don't understand. Still works great, though.

Pretzellogic said:
It's been nothing but trial and error, with a bunch of home remedies and a bit of science thrown in for good measure.

You wouldn't happen to know why greasy food seems to help, would you? It's the only part of Dr. Pretzel's treatment that I don't understand. Still works great, though.

Basically, the grease 'coats' your stomach just like Pepto-Bismol does. It works even better if you eat something greasy before drinking, because it will slow the absorbtion of the alcohol.

That is why Denny's is always full of drunk people. Thats why I go there often.... and to keep my girlish figure. Its hard to look this damned good.

I just drink Jack Daniels, never had a hangover once. But if i drink beer instead of whiskey i get a headache the next day. Even if its like 5 Hefs. So i prefer jack daniels.

Before I pass out that night, I always drink water and/or Gatorade, and I try to have something to eat. For me, the eating tends to stop any hangovers, even over drinking a ton. I dunno why, but it just does!

And I only get two types of hanovers -- either a headache, which is cured by a few Advil, or I'm actually throwing up.

However, if I'm a total mess like I was on Saturday, then no amount of food or water seems to help. I'll wake up the next morning feeling nauseous, and I wind up throwing up for a few hours, even if there's nothing in my stomach. The only way to stop that, I learned through trial and error -- Pepto Bismol chewables, and semi-flat Pepsi. It HAS to be the chewable Pepto pills, and it HAS to be Pepsi. Again, don't ask me why it works and why it has to be those specific things -- I just know that it makes me stop pukin'! And if I don't have the Pepto or Pepsi handy .. I'm totally screwed. The longest I went was 12 hours of vomiting every 10 minutes or so. It was terrible. I actually burst blood vessels on my eyelids and around my eyes because I was wretching so hard and for so long.

.. And now, I shall stop being so girly, since I know talkin' about barfing is terribly feminine.

Back