Header prob after 10k miles

PR5hokie

After searching 13+ pages of threads with no answer I decided to start my own thread.
A little history:
Last week: Car was stalling, had to keep revs above 2500rpm to prevent. CEL on/off periodically--FIX: EGR valve replaced. Car drives fine (In retrospect I should have tried cleaning it before having it replaced.)

Later that week: CEL--Idle adjuster out of whack due to above--FIX: reset ECU (damn Mazda techs)--Car drives fine.

Last night: CEL--Mazda tech says I'm throwing an O2 sensor code. They want to replace the sensor for $300+. I told them to wait. The car is driving fine.
A little more history
OBX header installed approx 10k miles ago. Spark plug fouler method used to prevent CEL. Drilled one fouler to 1/2", connected to sensor, connected to other fouler, then connected to header. Install went flawlessly and car performed well.
Finally the questions:
Anyone else had/having this issue? Does the fouler need to periodically be cleaned? Any other ideas? How do I reset the CEL should I attempt a cleaning?
In closing:
Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts. I plan on picking up the car tomorrow so let me know what you're thinking ASAP. If I have to replace the damn sensor I can do that myself.

~Matt

I'm fine after about 45k on this particular header, and have never had any EGR/O2S problems. Same fix as you, non-fouler. *nod*

PR5hokie said:
A little more history
OBX header installed approx 10k miles ago. Spark plug fouler method used to prevent CEL. Drilled one fouler to 1/2", connected to sensor, connected to other fouler, then connected to header. Install went flawlessly and car performed well.
~Matt

You say you drilled only one fouler? I believe you need to drill both foulers, not sure. I drilled both on mine, and so far so good!

I've got about 30-40K on mine with only one non-fouler drilled out and have had no problems. Same header. Heck, I just passed emissions.

I'd check for melted wires on the O2 sensor.

I'm glad I installed a MAM midpipe with a cat in lengthened the o2 wires and installed the o2 behind the MAM cat.

You could always try the MIL iliminator

i did the 02 wire saudering method. Worked perfect. Defouler sounds like too much work...

Replica said:
i did the 02 wire saudering method. Worked perfect. Defouler sounds like too much work...

Most people can drill a hole and screw 3 things together easier than making a circuit (granted a very simple one) and a good weatherproof connection.

Thanks for the responses...keep em' coming. Anyone know if they can test the sensor specifically? And once again, how do I clear the CEL should I choose to clean/replace the sensor myself?

Matt

PR5hokie said:
Thanks for the responses...keep em' coming. Anyone know if they can test the sensor specifically? And once again, how do I clear the CEL should I choose to clean/replace the sensor myself?

Matt
Disconnected the battery terminal for a minite or so...itll clear the cel. not sure about all that sensor crap.

An update...
I decided to go ahead and pick up my car w/out Mazda repairing the CEL issue. I figured I'd take a look at the foulers to see if they need some cleaning, and if push comes to shove I'll order the part and replace it myself (it'll save me $150). I talked w/ the technician working on my car and the error code indicated a "o2 sensor inoperative" code. He said the normal code that would be thrown after a header install should be "catalyst inefficiency." So it sounds like I have a broken sensor. Of course this logic could be entirely incorrect but thats what it is as of now. On a crazy/funny note...the damn CEL didn't turn on after starting my car 20 minutes after leaving the dealership. So now who knows what the hell is going on. Hopefully it'll stay off so I don't have to spend some extra money.

~Matt

It'll come back on....i threw that damn CEL a million times before i did a crappy saudering job on my 02....it took about 30 miles to make it come on again. The more it happened the faster it would come back. I fixed the sauder and never saw a CEL again.

Replica...it's soldering...

As for the sensor inop, as I said earlier. Check the wires. They might have melted on the header.

Sauder makes that cheap furniture we cuss at when assembling it :)

I used a MIL eliminator on my header and worked flawlessly. Of course, neither will work if you indeed have a bad O2 sensor.

Back