130k miles on a 2014 CX-5 - First Check Engine Light - P0172

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
So I got my first CEL in over 10 years and 130k miles of ownership. Hooked up the OBDII reader and got the P0172 - System Too Rich Bank 1 code.

I recently replaced engine air filter and double checked that its secure/installed correctly.

Next I am thinking maybe the MAF sensor needs to be replaced. The engine feels completely fine and the car is running completely fine in that regard, no issues accelerating, no stuttering, etc. I haven't smelled anything weird like too much gas in the engine/exhaust.

Will let you know how that goes. Curious if anyone else has encountered this particular code with their CX-5 and what the issue ended up being?

Maybe a fuel injector stuck? Could see that on the plug. But you should also show a p0301 if it's #1 cylinder. P0302 #2 etc. Could just be a bad O2 sensor or a bad mass airflow sensor. A good scanner can see if the O2 sensor is switching. Probably worth the money to get it diagnosed

Last edited:
My first thought is oxygen sensor as @ctbale has mentioned. Anymore even the cheap scanners have live data which shows O2 sensor switching. Can you borrow one from a friend or have it checked at auto parts stores (AZ, AA, O'reilly). You can always get a professional diagnosis after that. If you do change it, use a Denso. Bosch is a no-no. I follow the rule of Japanese car gets Japanese plugs and O2 sensor. German car gets German stuff. There's always OEM too.

Yup, after the car gets to closed loop I think the upstream keeps switching and the downstream one settles in. And a good way to see cat health is the pipe going in should be about 75 to 100 deg F colder then the pipe going out

Maybe a fuel injector stuck? Could see that on the plug. But you should also show a p0301 if it's #1 cylinder. P0302 #2 etc. Could just be a bad O2 sensor or a bad mass airflow sensor. A good scanner can see if the O2 sensor is switching. Probably worth the money to get it diagnosed

My first thought is oxygen sensor as @ctbale has mentioned. Anymore even the cheap scanners have live data which shows O2 sensor switching. Can you borrow one from a friend or have it checked at auto parts stores (AZ, AA, O'reilly). You can always get a professional diagnosis after that. If you do change it, use a Denso. Bosch is a no-no. I follow the rule of Japanese car gets Japanese plugs and O2 sensor. German car gets German stuff. There's always OEM too.
Thank you both. I'll see if that's something I can figure out with the scanner I got. It was just a cheap $20 one off of Amazon, so if not, I'll stop by O'Reilly.

Thank you both. I'll see if that's something I can figure out with the scanner I got. It was just a cheap $20 one off of Amazon, so if not, I'll stop by O'Reilly.
And usually auto parts stores can give you a list of possible culprits and how to fix them on a print out after they read the CEL code for you.

Last edited:
My vote is to clear the code and see if it returns before you go to the parts blaster.

Well something interesting happened. For the hell of it, I dumped a bottle of Techron into the gas tank when I filled up exactly one week ago. On Sunday, the CEL turned off and stayed off all week until it came back on again yesterday. Again, everything feels like its running fine, so I really suspect sensors at this point.

Still, going to stop by an auto store one of these days here, maybe tomorrow, and see if they can give me a better diagnostic with their scanner.

Why not try another bottle of Techron, or Berryman B12 Chemtool which I remember being a stronger injector cleaner. Seems too coincidental that the O2 sensor decided to work properly again and not throw a code after the Techron was added.

Why not try another bottle of Techron, or Berryman B12 Chemtool which I remember being a stronger injector cleaner. Seems too coincidental that the O2 sensor decided to work properly again and not throw a code after the Techron was added.
Tried that Berryman B12 Chemtool in a new tank of gas and can say it's been over a week now and check engine light has stayed off. Guess the injectors needed a little cleaning.

I've been kinda cheaping out on gas lately (not Top Tier gas stations), so guess I need to run some stuff through every now and then.

Tried that Berryman B12 Chemtool in a new tank of gas and can say it's been over a week now and check engine light has stayed off. Guess the injectors needed a little cleaning.

I've been kinda cheaping out on gas lately (not Top Tier gas stations), so guess I need to run some stuff through every now and then.
Costco gas is the Top Tier gas, with a long line though.

Mu experience locally has shown thet Chevron and Shell seems to get better engine performance. Costco ( even 91) and my mpg drops, car doesnt accelerate as fast and timing is not as good. Not saying Costco is bad its just cheapest top tier for a reason.

If it was my car I would drive few tanks with Chevron 91 and see if the issue happens again.

I second the motion to keep using a fuel treatment/injector cleaner ( of your choice ) - but ......plan a good long drive at freeway speeds- one tank/extended hours of continual driving ....granted you are certain you are not damaging anything with that code on
-- di engines tend to get these issues in repeated short trip driving conditions / or driving when the engine dosent get up to full operating temp on a regular basis --hope you get it sorted out and post the solution

Costco gas is the Top Tier gas, with a long line though.
I am not a Costco member. Just me and the wife and not a lot of storage for bulk buying.
Mu experience locally has shown thet Chevron and Shell seems to get better engine performance. Costco ( even 91) and my mpg drops, car doesnt accelerate as fast and timing is not as good. Not saying Costco is bad its just cheapest top tier for a reason.

If it was my car I would drive few tanks with Chevron 91 and see if the issue happens again.
Yeah I used to always put in Shell but sometimes it's seriously like $.50 - $1 more per gallon these days around here. Maybe it's worth it, I don't know.
I second the motion to keep using a fuel treatment/injector cleaner ( of your choice ) - but ......plan a good long drive at freeway speeds- one tank/extended hours of continual driving ....granted you are certain you are not damaging anything with that code on
-- di engines tend to get these issues in repeated short trip driving conditions / or driving when the engine dosent get up to full operating temp on a regular basis --hope you get it sorted out and post the solution
Yep I have mostly gone to city driving the past 3-4 years. The longer, extended highway driving is what I've been doing since I ran the Techron and Berryman through the tanks.

Like I said, code has been off for a week, and literally nothing feels off about how the car is driving. Butt dyne maybe says its a bit more responsive now, but that's about it.

I am not a Costco member. Just me and the wife and not a lot of storage for bulk buying.

Yeah I used to always put in Shell but sometimes it's seriously like $.50 - $1 more per gallon these days around here. Maybe it's worth it, I don't know.

Yep I have mostly gone to city driving the past 3-4 years. The longer, extended highway driving is what I've been doing since I ran the Techron and Berryman through the tanks.

Like I said, code has been off for a week, and literally nothing feels off about how the car is driving. Butt dyne maybe says its a bit more responsive now, but that's about it.
I thought it came back on - my bad

Have you ever had intake valves cleaned? Fuel additive cleaners don't help if this is a Skyactive G engine with GDI since fuel is injected directly into the cylinder at the right time. If it's never been done carbon buildup is probably really bad at 130k.

Personally, I'd also replace the O2 sensors on principle if you've also never done that...and don't mind loading up a parts cannon instead of proper diagnosis.

Have you ever had intake valves cleaned? Fuel additive cleaners don't help if this is a Skyactive G engine with GDI since fuel is injected directly into the cylinder at the right time. If it's never been done carbon buildup is probably really bad at 130k.

Personally, I'd also replace the O2 sensors on principle if you've also never done that...and don't mind loading up a parts cannon instead of proper diagnosis.
I have not. Will look into that.

Back