GT with Tech or Touring with Sunroof package + Tech ?

I am also eyeing cx5 in san diego.
Few things...
didnt like the fact that even bose speakers are not great
windshield tend to break easily
dont really care about sunroof... more moving pieces more likey to break..
the seats are bad...
dont care for leather seats.. i find cloth trim better

I may stick with routing with tech package if the seats feel ok in touring as well.

Als0, I am in no hurry to buy. I drive a sweet protege5 stick shift which is nicely lowered. I may wait for 2017 and bargain a good deal on 2016.5.
I am also thinking about RDX... a used certified one
I enjoy really good sounding music, the bose system is not great, you are correct. IMO it's decent enough that I don't have a desire to upgrade yet...

While I kinda feel the same way about you regarding more moving parts, I've had a moonroof in every care I owned since 1992 except my mazdaspeed3 and never had a problem with the moonroof, my first car was a used 1985 honda prelude which ran forever... I could also take or leave the moonroof, nice at times, wouldn't stop me from buying.

The RDX will be more costly to repair, but they are very nice.

The seats in the GT are also a bit bigger. Was going to get a Touring but my wife wasn't happy with the feel of the seats so we tried the GT and they were different. Also have white with tan interior. Go to Florida a couple times a year and this combo makes for a cooler ride.
The specs for CX-5 GT does say "Leather-trimmed sport seats" which indicates it has different seat from Sport/Touring. Good catch!

Yeah I wish Mazda offers more interior color selections as we have no other choices but all-black leather with Sonic Silver exterior! All-black interior makes us feeling really hot in Texas!

didnt like the fact that even bose speakers are not great
Yeah I was disappointed to learn that Mazda ignored Bose's recommendation and eliminated front tweeters on CX-5 to save a couple of pennies. With missing front tweeters for high notes and no subwoofer for bass in CX-5's Bose 9-speaker audio system, the sound quality leaves much to be desired. One forum member had proven that with a frequency response measurement chart which shows very unideal curve. 11-speaker Bose in Mazda6 which added 2 tweeters has better high notes. 7-speaker Bose in CX-3 and 12-speaker Bose in CX-9, both have front tweeters and subwoofer, do have better overall sound quality.

We've to admit that there's no perfect vehicle we can have these days at any price range. We can only pick one with minimum deficiencies in our own requirements. I believe CX-5 is indeed an excellent choice overall among all available compact CUVs!

I love my '16 GT w/ Tech. The main selling point for me was the black wheels and leather seats. I love both of them and have not been disappointed. The seats are surprisingly not as hot as I thought they would be on the 90+ degree, sunny days and I have black mica with black leather.

Some GT features I wish they would add...memory drivers seat, power lift gate (all models), rear climate vents, text reply capabilities, auto up/down all windows and moonroof.

I love my '16 GT w/ Tech...
Some GT features I wish they would add...memory drivers seat, power lift gate (all models), rear climate vents, text reply capabilities, auto up/down all windows and moonroof.
+1, that'd be perfect.

Doesn't a Touring with the TECH already mean it has bose and moonroof too? Can you get a touring tech without getting the bose/moonroof package?

UPDATE: I just built one online via the MAZDA.com site, and getting a Touring with TECH, already means you are getting the BOSE/Moonroof. So the Touring with Tech will be the one you want. The only Touring/Tech FWD I see nearby you within 150 miles is in Memphis in the Soul Red

Tech package seems to require Bose/moonroof option selected mandatory. I need the LED headlamps, as I find that the biggest attraction for this car. Btw, my dealer did have a Touring with Tech, the problem was the color. I am looking for a specific color and that makes it difficult.

Tech package seems to require Bose/moonroof option selected mandatory. I need the LED headlamps, as I find that the biggest attraction for this car. Btw, my dealer did have a Touring with Tech, the problem was the color. I am looking for a specific color and that makes it difficult.

Did you try the INVENTORY SEARCH on the Mazda web site with some different zip codes? Or you can call the Mazda 1800-222-5500 and and tell them what you are looking for, and they will locate the car you want closest to you in case you don't mind travelling to get it...

Last edited:

I agree that the LED headlights are a major attraction. They look sleek and are super bright at night. I find myself not even needing the high beams most of the time.

In an lot of cars where LEDs aren't standard, it may be an 8-10k increase just to obtain some type of package that includes LEDS/Xenons. Particularly your German entry luxury cars.

Lets check the value Mazda CX-5 touring offers:

Mazda charges $1275 for tech package that includes:
LED Foglights
LED Rear Combination Lights
LED Daytime Running Lights
Adaptive Front Lighting SystemAFS w/Auto Leveling
Rain-Sensing Wipers
Smart City Brake Support17
Auto Dim Mirror w/Homelink16 and $1130 for the moonroof/BOSE.

Moonroof/BOSE
Power sliding-glass moonroof
Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound System with AudioPilot
9 Speakers

The way I view it I'd be willing to pay $5K just for the tech package (mainly LEDs). Instead Mazda is selling everything (LEDS, tech,BOSE, moonroof) for a mere $2405 added to cost. Essentially you can bargain for a new touring with tech which msrp's at around 28.5k to down to say 26k.

I am in the process of finalizing a deal for GT + Tech option. I am considering following accessories. Wanted to know if they are worth the money.

1. Mazda Mobile Start (I saw quite a few negative comments about this, but I assume it will improve over time with software/OTA updates)
2. Retractable Cargo cover (not sure if this is the only "cover" option for cargo area from prying eyes)

Last edited:
2. Take a look at a GT through the back glass, it is really hard to see whats back there.

I am in the process of finalizing a deal for GT + Tech option. I am considering following accessories. Wanted to know if they are worth the money.

1. Mazda Mobile Start (I saw quite a few negative comments about this, but I assume it will improve over time with software/OTA updates)
2. Retractable Cargo cover (not sure if this is the only "cover" option for cargo area from prying eyes)

MMS has a lot of issues. I emailed Mazda about the app that hasn't been updated since 2015 when it was first released. Got a generic response back stating they're working on an update but no time frame. BS if you ask me. The idea is cool but execution is terrible. It takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute to execute the command. Way to long imo. I really want to get it and for it to improve but until they update their app and show that they give a damn about MMS, I will not be giving them my money.

1. MMS is very slow, problematic, and you've to pay for the subscription monthly/yearly. Not for me.
2. Everybody likes Mazda OEM cargo cover. Unless you can get it for free during purchasing negotiation, or you can always get it cheaper online at Amazon or other websites.

BTW, does the 2016.5 GT with Tech you're going to buy have memory driver seat and power passenger seat?

1. MMS is very slow, problematic, and you've to pay for the subscription monthly/yearly. Not for me.
2. Everybody likes Mazda OEM cargo cover. Unless you can get it for free during purchasing negotiation, or you can always get it cheaper online at Amazon or other websites.

BTW, does the 2016.5 GT with Tech you're going to buy have memory driver seat and power passenger seat?

I think I will skip these options. There is no memory seat in the car I have seen.

Love my cargo cover. Wouldn't have an SUV without one. And since it attaches to the tailgate, it moves up and out of the way when you open the tailgate. Perfect!

Back