GI: Transmission Gearsets

This kit includes much, much more than his fwd re-build.

in for damn sure
the only problem is,what is going to break next?

I already welded the LSD,and will be pushing well over 300 hp

hows the fac. axels?any one think the axels from corksport will hold?

spacemonkey said:
Corksport sells driveshaftshops axles...pretty damn good.

they are just 626 axles...

if you haven't broken them yet you won't break them... the reason people broke/break axles is because of dumping the clutch with drag radials or other super stick tires. That results in a huge shock load to the axles. Just because you are getting more power doesn't mean you'll break axles.. the traction is the limiting factor.... so as long as you dont' make massive changes to the level of traction you can achieve it won't matter how much power you have or how hard you stomp on it... you won't snap an axle.

TurfBurn said:
they are just 626 axles...

if you haven't broken them yet you won't break them... the reason people broke/break axles is because of dumping the clutch with drag radials or other super stick tires. That results in a huge shock load to the axles. Just because you are getting more power doesn't mean you'll break axles.. the traction is the limiting factor.... so as long as you dont' make massive changes to the level of traction you can achieve it won't matter how much power you have or how hard you stomp on it... you won't snap an axle.

yep, if you drive the car right you really shouldn't break axles, besides, getting sub 2.0 60's comes more from slippin clutch and throttle control, not droppin the clutch at 4krpms and flooring it =)

so why the hell would i buy axels for 600 bucks from this shop?

626 axels are 25-30 bucks a pop on car-part.com... wtf?

daedalus said:
so why the hell would i buy axels for 600 bucks from this shop?

626 axels are 25-30 bucks a pop on car-part.com... wtf?

there is supposedly some modification made to them to get them to fit our cars directly.. I guess it is not a perfect direct fit... so there is some work involved...

Talk to Focus.. he can get you billet machined axles if you want them I believe.

mp5jeff said:
626 axles are chrome moly?

No.. I was referring to custom axles.

We should really stay on-topic.

The gear sets are priced incredibly well based on the conversations I've had with Focus. Definitely not cheap, but great for what you get without a doubt.

yea, true, topic, but i thought you were saying the DSS chrome molys were just 626 axles, anyhow , is there any idea on price you could toss at us? im guessing around 1200 but i could be wrong both ways higher/lower dunno, i have no idea what's included.

mp5jeff said:
yea, true, topic, but i thought you were saying the DSS chrome molys were just 626 axles, anyhow , is there any idea on price you could toss at us? im guessing around 1200 but i could be wrong both ways higher/lower dunno, i have no idea what's included.

Not my place to say anything on pricing on the gears... that's up to Focus and Nick.

I didn't think the DSS axles were actually chro-moly.. but dunno! I haven't bough them or looked at them.

i did a comparison side by side with the p5 axles and DSS, can just search for it i forget the title name of thread, they look chrome moly to me...and alot bigger. anyhow back on topic we go. do you have any info on what is included with the kit?

Sweet... I am interested in this for sure, my motor build is coming up and the tranny will be the next logical thing for me to strengthen.

I'm with everyone else on the taller 1st and 5th too. It would be nice to actually cruise on the highway without being at 4k and above... and 1st gear is pretty much worthless even at only 260whp.

Thanks for getting this going focus and nick, you guys rock.(thumb)

TurfBurn said:
Not my place to say anything on pricing on the gears... that's up to Focus and Nick.

I didn't think the DSS axles were actually chro-moly.. but dunno! I haven't bough them or looked at them.

I hope you guys ca keep the pricing reasonable.

what kind of gear ratios?factory?

Is this going to basically just handle addition power or is it going to improve the actuall shifting as well.. such as, more precise shifting, able to handle hard shifts ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooo any chance or carbon coated synchos? I believe one of the upgrades mazda did was carbon coat 3rd or 2nd gear synchro but not the others. My fifth gear synchro is dying fast. According to my mechanic with the short shifter and my normal shifting style I'm going to kill synchros alot unless I can find some carbon coated synchros.

I pulled mine apart after 40,000 miles,and the syncro's were in perfect shape.It's the gears I'm worried about.

how well would the stright cut work for daily driving?
other then the whine it will make

Latest posts

Back