front caliper seized?

neko11

Hi all,

Today i smelled a weird smell and it seems that the left front wheel is stuck -- cannot rotate -- and the brake is v v hot.
Does this mean that the front caliper is seized? Could it be anything else (like the distribution valve)?

It just happened suddenly after getting new tires at Sears yesterday; weird coincidence!
If the caliper is seized, could I just get the rebuild kit? But I could not find it online either at advance auto or napa.
Any thoughts? If I get a caliper, best to get two for both sides, right? Any particular brand to get or to avoid?

I have a Mazda Protege 2002 ES and I live in Chevy Chase, MD
Thanks.

very strange. Why don't you try resetting the piston and see if that gets you back in line? The calipers should move quite smoothly. Might be worth lubricating the brake calipers while you're at it...

That's all I got..

had an issue like this on my wife's 6s. lube everything that moves on the caliper....guide pins!!! should do it.

Was thinking about rebuilding my calipers, found this:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Mazda+Protege+Brake+Caliper+Repair+Kit

(In case you'll need the repair kits. Its cheaper than the OEMs found on Onlinemazdaparts)

Amazon.com or Tripoint can get you better prices than that. I rebuilt both of my front calipers for less than $10. Only needed the seals and orings(centric) and not the rest of the items however. Rust on the drivers side caliper piston was causing it to stick. Mazda's oem prices are ridiculous!

caliper changed

hi all,

Thanks for the help.
The piston was indeed stuck, so I had to put in a new caliper.

BTW, these US auto guys sent me a rebuild kit (I ordered that too ;-) but that was only 1 dust seal; on their site it says "kit" and it shows two o-rings and two dust seals; I will call them Monday to straighten this out, but meanwhile check with them.

I changed only one caliper; most places (incl the caliper manufacturer) says to change both; what is your opinion on this? or what does the manual say?

Also, do I need to bleed all four wheels? I just bled the wheel where I changed the caliper; I took out the banjo bolt, put quickly new copper washers and screwed it into the new caliper so I don't loose a lot of fluid.

I will let you know how it works...
thanks again. Neko

BTW, these US auto guys sent me a rebuild kit (I ordered that too ;-) but that was only 1 dust seal; on their site it says "kit" and it shows two o-rings and two dust seals; I will call them Monday to straighten this out, but meanwhile check with them.

Thats odd, the picture clearly shows 2&2. Thanks 4 letting us know.
Apparently, I will buy a rebuilt caliper (or a pair) as Slavrenz suggested. They are quite cheap. Will need some help with installation though, just beginning my DIY way :)
So it"ll be good to hear the answers to the questions Neko11 asked from you guys.

reply to how i did it

hi,

here are the things i did or to watch out; pls read the whole message first.

my caliper came semi-loaded meaning caliper + bracket + pins (all assembled) + hardware.

put some extra brake fluid in the reservoir so as not to get air at all there;

it's fairly easy to take out the lower bolt/pin but do first the replacement caliper then the caliper on the car;

i put the replacement caliper handy, took out the banjo bolt of the caliper in the car then quickly put the two copper washers and screwed it into the new caliper so i did not loose too much fluid; you may want to put a pan or lots of newspapers, etc., below the wheel to keep things clean.

then hang the new caliper with some rope by the spring or whatever w/o bending the brake line too much;

then i took out the old caliper, undid the two bolts for the old bracket, put the new bracket in, put the bolts back, then put the hardware; you may want to put the hardware in the new bracket before putting it on the car;

then put the brake pads, M springs (if this is what you have), put the caliper into the bracket and screw the lower bolt/pin; make sure you have grease on the pins or use syl-glide (Napa) like i did
then i bled that wheel only (good, bad?) with my wife's help ;-)

things to watch: my new caliper is rusted already (flash rust); i've never seen something like this! so, in retrospect i should have painted it; so paint them first (but mask all the rubbers, seals, etc).

you, guys, know a lot more than me, so please tell me what i did wrong or pls contribute with comments.
thanks. Neko

Latest posts

Back