Fricken Fuel Cut and Overboosting like crazy

nobmsp

Actually hit 14psi this morn on the way to work... Seems like the colder it gets the worse it gets. So, my question is, is the wastegate the culprit? Or just the cold weather? Im holding boost solid any other time. No stalling. No weird idle issues. I do have a small exhaust leak(turbo to mani) that Im fixing this weekend, could that be it?

Ive never owned a car that was so damn finicky in my life, but Damn its a fun car lol!

Oh, BTW, in on a FMIC, Greddy RS, relocated MAF, stock ECU, No exhaust, just a turndown behind where the cats used to be, filter on the turbo.

when its cold, like it is in AL right now, the air is more dense, but 14lbs......Im surprised the car even runs now. Your wga may be starting to go especially if you are on a stock one, I would consider checking it out at a minimum. I though fuel cut was 10lbs? Keep your foot out of it for sure, or you will play "peek a boo" with your crank. Good luck

Yeah, it scared the s*** out of me for sure when i saw the gauge pound on 1bar. Ive been real light on the pedal ever since. Gonna replace the gasket this weekend, and check my vacuum lines and the WGA and see where I stand.

How much vacuum should I be showing on the gauge btw, or what is normal for a MSP? I ask because it seems a bit low compared to my friends STi, but i realize the STi is a completely different car. I remember my DSM had a low amount of vacuum and it was normal for them to be low.

ill add this....as far as your finicky comment, you got that right. For instance Ive had every issue you can with mine alot in which NOBODY on this forumn could pinpoint. Real tricky stuff. And there are a couple of genius's on this forumn. BUT, when it comes to the most common issue such as your current on "fuel cut when its cold out especially with a fmic" I never had this issue. So far it been fine even as low as 20 degrees, how cold is it where you are now? As far as the overboosting I'de agree and say your wastegate is starting to go. Disconnect the line to it and try blowing through it, if you can blow into it then there you go...bad wastegate.

Ill try that on the wastegate. Prob just go ahead and order the atp gate and be done. Def the most fun yet irritating car
I've ever owned lol. My vacuum isn't that high either, so that's another reason I think my wastegate s*** the bed. Im only getting around -0.5bar at this point, that's only about -15 in inHg... def lower than its supposed to be. The thing that gets me is that it runs like a champ, and id think that if it had a vacuum leak it'd be a lot worse? I dunno. Gonna go out and work on it this weekend and see.

the car will run well with a small vacuum leak, but it will idle like trash (random dips to below 400RPM) and will drop revs stupidly fast on shifts.
the fact that youre overboosting and have a probable vac leak indicates a bad wastegate line, to me, anyways. replace all the vacuum lines on your turbo system and try that. manifold to WGA and BPV, especially.
and take out your boost gauge to check the fittings and make sure theyre not leaking.

by the way, how do you route your vac lines? is the vac gauge, BPV and wastegate all on the same line?

Latest posts

Back