Even Mods aren't immune to the Curse.

aMaff

High Speed Low Drag
:
1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder
Dude...seriously. This sucked absolute balls. I"m stuck in traffic on the I-75/85 connector in ATL friday after work heading to a friend's place in Birmingham for the weekend. Totally stoked. Concerts to be attended. Awesome foods to be eated. It's the first time I've run the AC since...like a year ago. With the RR Racing F/R inserts, the car vibrates like a mofo w/ the A/C on @ idle. No big whoop, free back massage, right? Well, as we all know, AC + FSDE = 4whp, so it takes a little extra from the right foot to get rolling. I've done this 150 times this afternoon, and I'm about sick of it and ready for open road. Car ahead moves. Roll onto throttle, s*** starts rattling, little extra throttle, s*** dies. Uh...wtf. Stalled? Huh. Turn key. Car cranks...then dies again. I'm 2 lanes from the shoulder. Hazards on, manage to use the starter to get my ass off of the interstate and have the good fortune of parking directly under an overpass. You know, some times you've just got to see the silver lining. Anyway, this is only part 1 of the drama.

Pop hood, find the coupler on the REAR of the MAF for my intake sheared in 2. WTF. Damn, that sucks. After a quick survey, I figure that I can just remove the lower intake pipe, steal a coupler off of that, and put the filter directly onto the MAF. Quick thinking for the MFing win! Where the mother **** is my god damned screwdriver? And then it hits me: I took every single tool that would be useful out of my car when I cleaned it last weekend. Seriously? You're sitting me. I've ALWAYS @ least got a multitool, or a pocket knife! Son of a damn it. After a quick survey of the car, I found ZERO suitable tools. After a quick survey of my person, I start trying my keys. Only 1 fits in the groove of the screw for the worm clamps, but the things are so tight on there (hot cold hot cold hot cold hot cold will do that ;)) that the only key that fits (my mailbox key) bends. s***.

Another quick survey of my car reveals: Wheel lock key. Yes. The key for the Gorilla wheel locks. Ladies and gentlemen, where there's a will (I was stuck on the biggest interstate ever) there's a damn way. In case anyone was interested, in a pinch, with a pair of gloves, a Gorilla wheel lock key can function as a flat head screw driver. I wish I were kidding.

I managed to get everything back together where I was pretty sure it would hold on until I could get an actual screw driver to tighten everything down. And sure enough, the Atlanta PD shows up in the nick of time to help. Right after I got it running. OMG thanks! (yupnope) lol. Whatever, he was cool about it and opened up a spot to let me back on the road, and got one more 'contact' to add to his 'not-quota'. Called a friend that lived on the west side of town, got directions to an advanced auto parts, borrowed a screwdriver and 10mm wrench to reset the ECU, the CEL was on from where I tried to start it w/o a temp. sensor (it was still lodged in the intake pipe I 'borrowed'), and promptly bought a bad multitool just in case.

Long story short, I made it, the car's running fine, and sounds really good w/ the filter a little higher up in the engine bay. It is a bit less powerful though, due to the more turbulent air over the MAF from having the filter directly attached (that extra foot or so of pipe does a lot for smooting that out) and there's a good chance everything will hold together for the 2.5 hour drive back (I'm sure I just jinxed myself).

I think advance or pep boys (ugh) sells the couplers I need, so I can just get a new one tomorrow or Monday. That old coupler had a little gash from when I got the intake. It was never all the way through, and had been McGuyvered w/ the persuasion of some electrical tape (just in case), but I guess the added shaking from the engine due to the A/C, plus me sucking at driving my car when the A/Cs on (due to that aforementioned 4whp), it just sheared.

Anyway, that's my story. How was your weekend?

that's the damn truth! How's your damage coming along dude?

And we'll see how it ends once I have the car parked @ home tomorrw (er...today...) night lol

I sent Revenant a text message and had her order me a new lower grill and MSP windsplitter. Going to call a paintless dent repair guy this week. The cracks in my bumper look more like they are in just the clear coat. So I'll try wet sanding it, cut & buff. then do a full rockblocker clear bra.

lol all this talk about p5's getting pwned. beginning to think I can sell my car a lot more as the only p5 never broken/wrecked

This is the first cursed thread I've read, I hope it isn't contagious :( At least your's wasn't too bad.

I need to tune mine but especially for start-up. When the car is cold, it goes like this.
1st start - just cranks
2nd start - catches, starts then dies
3rd start - works like a charm! :D Just needs more fuel, but I'm lazy and need more fuel.

you haven't seen all the accidents / other threads cropping up recently? I'm like 11th in line here... lol

wow...good thinking! I'm glad everything is ok - when I opened this thread I prepared myself for the worst...

You know why she broke? It's because the P5 is jealous you've been spending so much time with HER (aka, the Miata).

RacerXGirl said:
You know why she broke? It's because the P5 is jealous you've been spending so much time with HER (aka, the Miata).
lol naa, I still have a ton of love for the P5. She's a great, fun daily / long distance car. She broke because I kept forgetting to replace that bum coupler and it finally bit me in the ass.

DeadGeneration said:
I have a piece from Magnum's car on mine. Hope it doesn't have bad luck.
This was off well before the accident so you should be fine (first)

Dude, what's so friggin' hard about driving the P5 with the A/C on? We use it all the time and it's no problem, and you've got moar powaaaar than we do, anyway! Apparently, you just can't drive!

Glad you got the problem solved, though!

aMaff said:
you haven't seen all the accidents / other threads cropping up recently? I'm like 11th in line here... lol

Oh I've seen them, I just haven't read them. Like I said, I don't want to get cursed so I've been avoiding them.

aMaff said:
lol naa, I still have a ton of love for the P5. She's a great, fun daily / long distance car. She broke because I kept forgetting to replace that bum coupler and it finally bit me in the ass.
next time you'll know to NEVER forget something that she is trying to tell you... :p

glad it is gonna work out for ya.

made it back. So tired. Need sleepy lol.

I think this weekend I made McGuyver proud (second) lol

Back