Epic road trip 8900 miles in 4 weeks

MEB

:
16.5 GT w/Tech AWD
Whoo Hoo!

IMG_1650.jpg

Just did an epic solo trip I90 Seattle to New England & Back with many Nat'l Park stops. Super happy with my new ride, early days aside! I had zero issues with the car, as one would hope in a new vehicle. I bought this CUV (my first) for its utility & I like to drive.

Consistent Avg. Hwy MPG 28.7 @ 70-85, with windows open or A/C on, 31MPG - zipped up, A/C off, wind at my back. I'm good with that. (no cargo carrier) "Current" MPG, is schizophrenic & seems useless(?).

Highlights: quiet, comfy ride. Sport mode & Manual came in handy for curvy/high altitude/fun-empty roads, when the auto-trans. couldn't quite handle (gear confusion) the unique road situation. New to 'Infotainment", the Nav. system totally Rocked! As a solo trip, I relied heavily on the Nav. & voice activation, big thumbs up for this type of trip! The console controls are perfectly designed for ease of use & allowing eyes on the road! I'm now a huge fan of the POI & it's endless options, altho that was not so intuitive! Main Map display: Miles to Fuel, Food, rest stop, Speed limit (and speed trap alert, TY!!), Toll Roads & next step directional were life&time savers when in unknown territories or late at night & when your bladder just can't wait!
Communication system / bluetooth; I never had an issue or dropped call, unless out of cell range in remote locations: iphone/Verizon. & I was on the phone a lot. (tip turn voice guidance off when on the phone).
LED/Adaptive lights: Very happy with these, I'm over 45 and my eyes are not what they were. Excellent for reading signs, dark roads, heavy rain and spotting deer Xing - which happened many times on mountain roads.

1) No cracked windshield, with multiple opportunities (whew).
2) No auto-seat issues, and I abused them traveling w/ a big dog in the back - I needed to adjust the seats for entry & exits 2 to 8 X per day. He's too old to jump in / out from the seat.
3) No steering/transmission issues.
4) No odd noises, yet. I did drive on a washboard road for longer than I'd like. Hoping screws havn't come loose, yeesh.
5) The 'loudish' engine noise, auto reviewers mention is not apparent to me.

Lowlights Nit-Picky:
1) Interior Chrome reflection in side view mirror (grrr) and eye blinding sun spots. I read about this issue here first, I got used to it but it is a design flaw.
2) Bucket Seat bottom design: after 2K miles, my drive leg began to have circulation issues - numbness/sore/lower leg/foot inflammation. This was caused by the slant angle of the seat (front is higher than the back where your Butt is), the 8 way seat position & cruise control did little to amend this issue. I'm 5'9" & long legged, this surprised me. I had to buy a seat wedge to correct the issue. Normal driving, at home it's not an issue.
3) Front, Angled frame Bar (?) btwn the windshield & front side window - creates a significant blind spot when looking right at a cross road. A bit of a visual bummer.

Great report! Thanks for posting. Potential buyers should read.

Back