Engine longevity?

I don't see a connection with how poor the oil system is, and burning it. At all....someone feel free to shed some light on that.

The pump cavatates and the pickup sometimes becomes uncovered under hard cornering. If this happens, even for a second, you can start to burn a ring...once you starve anything a little bit, it's never the same. I personally think my culprit is valve stem seals, but who knows. I just keep feeding her a qt of oil every 1500 miles.

haha I got lucky, I got my protege5 with 65,XXX miles on it and it is now at 72,000. So far I've only had ONE oil change and its on natural, not synthetic, oil. I check the oil regularly and I was worried that It might have need oil soon but everytime I checked it was FULL and in RICH COLOR TOO. My car has a good heart and I drive very spiritedly, pulling in first and second very often :p I think my tires will wear out soon the way I drive LOL

might want to switch to synthetic, reg oil breaks down way to easy
thats how i got mine to 205k and no burning oil, still get 30+MPG and i havent replaced anything except the clutch and the timing belt which is reg maintenance pretty much

Yeah I gotta do that sometime soon. I don't plan on the engine failing anytime soon. After driving an Audi s4 and Honda AP2 for a long time then when I got my protege5 I must say the engine does feel fragile so I'm trying to baby it as much as possible. (crazy)

You guys are saying that there is a problem with oil starvation, is there a mod to fix this?A longer pickup or baffles in the pan????

You guys are saying that there is a problem with oil starvation, is there a mod to fix this?A longer pickup or baffles in the pan????

the AWR pan should help, better baffling....i have new one for sale if interested?

haha I got lucky, I got my protege5 with 65,XXX miles on it and it is now at 72,000. So far I've only had ONE oil change and its on natural, not synthetic, oil. I check the oil regularly and I was worried that It might have need oil soon but everytime I checked it was FULL and in RICH COLOR TOO. My car has a good heart and I drive very spiritedly, pulling in first and second very often :p I think my tires will wear out soon the way I drive LOL

you need to change your oil more often...it's not even expensive or hard to do it yourself

Regardless of what the oil looks like, or feels like or even if their is enough left that doesn't meant the additives IN the oil haven't already broken down. Hence why you should change it every 3000. It does more then just get dirty over time.

224K on mine, doesn't burn or leak any oil. And I have beat this car hard.

And I have done 7-10K oil changes with mobil1 synthetic since I bought it.

Back