Engine longevity?

PR5speed

:
2002 Mazda PR5
So, I purchased a MP5 in July w/ 99,000 miles on it.. Got 102,500 on her now.

Just wondering what you all think.

I am classified as a spirited driver. Every now and then I go through the gears at redline, and try to never go over redline. The previous owner babied it.. I took it to a mechanic before I bought it and everything checked out. Doesn't have any mods yet (Will have them in a couple days though! [= )

I change the oil regularly.

How many miles would I be able to get out of her you think? Can this engine take a beating?

For those out there responding, it would be nice if you put how many miles you have on yours and how you treat you engine.

Thanks in advance for your input!
(drive2)

No!! This engine is quite delicate and does not like to rev high at all. Especially during hard corning situations!! Some oil starvation problems occur.

That being said I have 105k on mine and have put over 25k of that on her myself. I normally shift around 3k but every now and then have a little fun and take it up to 6k, but thats about as wild as it gets.

With good maintenance and non racing habits you should be able to get another 50-75k out of it. Maybe even take her all the way to the grand 200k club.

if you take care of the car, it should last a while. my mom has 187K on her 2000 protege. regular maintenance and stuff will keep these going for a good long time

some friends of mine work for a car co-op that has tons of 2.0L proteges...most make it to 250000km w/out ever burning oil. it's not the engine that's dies first. it's the other parts around it. imo, changes the tranny fluid more often than recommended.

i used to have an 02 p5 w/ 140000km on it. i doubt the previous owner babied it and mine never burned a drop of oil either.

141k miles, boosted the last 65k miles, no issues....i don't beat on it, but i don't baby it either...

My mom daily drove my car from when it was new until this past august when I got it and she took good care of it, never revved it or drove fast at all. I drive pretty spirited, I run the engine to 7k a couple times a month but I don't beat on the car and I have no issues with it so far. If the car has been well cared for you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks

Thanks again guys. Keep em coming.

Figured there would be good and bad.

Btw my MP3 ECU is coming in today!! =)

I maintained my 03 P5 as scheduled and it never once ran hot.

Although, I had to swap the motor at 128,500 due to bad rings and valve seals. I did a lot of highway driving (40-75 miles a day + I would visit my family down in Miami at least once a month; add about 700 miles to that for round trip). Just like you I did the occasional redline, but not too many hard turns.

I'm surprised that even with my scheduled maintenance, I had to change the motor (of course I had to add some upgrades to it). The original motor only had a drop-in K&N and a RB exhaust, that's it.

Just do your best to take care of her man! Anything can still happen.

You changed your timing belt yet?

205k and still goin strong, never took it to redline since i never took it to a racetrack

going to redline on the street is pretty retarded IMO

going turbo sometime this year when i can get off of school to rebuild the engine, so they are pretty reliable engines but u just gotta take it easy and not beat on them too often

Haven't replaced the timing belt yet.. soon though.

"Nickster" - you had a 2003 protege - that's the model year w/ the recall on the butterfly nuts in the intake mani.. Have you ever considered that causing the rings to go bad?

i dont understand the connection?
if anything it would mess up the compression and the spark plugs by going into the cylinder and bouncing around in there like what happened to DJ DUB

huh, didn't read about DJ DUB.

But I thought that I had read somewhere that when the butterfly nuts break off they **** up the rings.

60k miles... burns oil, but I drive the piss out of it and live in a tropical country... Weirdly... it only starts burning oil after I hit about 2000 miles after an oil change. Saving up for the oil pump modification... hope to do it by New Year's.

Haven't replaced the timing belt yet.. soon though.

"Nickster" - you had a 2003 protege - that's the model year w/ the recall on the butterfly nuts in the intake mani.. Have you ever considered that causing the rings to go bad?

I thought it could be that with a combination of my highway driving of 85-90 mph, daily. People have told me I should bring a lawsuit but it's just not worth it. By the motor finally taking a crap, it forced me to buy another one and build it with forged internals and a turbo... something I never would have done if my original motor never died.

All in all, I'm happy!

I don't see a connection with how poor the oil system is, and burning it. At all....someone feel free to shed some light on that.

116k here, engine was replaced @ 87k tho. New motor had 35k when installed. I only put about 5k miles on it before it blew up about 6 months after I bought it. These motors seem to do fine if they are well maintained.

Back