Enable the trip computer

re: Mazda North America Reply to me on this subject. This should end all conversation on making it work.

Thank you for contacting Mazda. Based on the information you’ve provided, it appears as though the trip computer does not function on your vehicle. The symbol you describe (“---“) indicates that supplemental programming for that feature is not installed. Unfortunately, that program is not currently available for the North American Market. Please understand that each global region often has different specifications for the same model vehicles. Because of numerous variables (demographics, emissions laws, etc.), these can range from minor details, such as paint colors, to more significant ones, such as suspension and engine specifications. In your case, the trip computer function may be available in Europe but not in North America for one of dozens of reasons, none of which is active subterfuge on the part of Mazda North American Operations. You can be assured that we would under no circumstances purposely withhold vital information from our customers in regards to the normal working operation of their vehicles.

In regards to your gas mileage, I would follow the dealer’s recommendation and wait until the breaking-in period is completed: this period of time is very important for the components of your vehicle as they become accustomed to working under driving conditions. Once this period is over, your vehicle should function within normal parameters. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Will J
Customer Assistance Center
Mazda North American Operations

Pure drivel!!!

"In regards to your gas mileage, I would follow the dealers recommendation and wait until the breaking-in period is completed: this period of time is very important for the components of your vehicle as they become accustomed to working under driving conditions. Once this period is over, your vehicle should function within normal parameters. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Will J
Mazda North American Operations"

Man, oh man!!!
Talk about obfuscation!!!!
Some questions:
1. How long is the time period or mileage, and who or what determines this?
2. Become accustomed to working under driving conditions, is he kidding? I had no idea that components had personality attributes that required acclimations.
3. From whence come these components that they need to be acclimated?
4. What are the normal parameters?
5. Why should we voice our questions or concerns when we get this sort of inane response for users/clients/customers?

Last edited:
nkabak said:
"In regards to your gas mileage, I would follow the dealers recommendation and wait until the breaking-in period is completed: this period of time is very important for the components of your vehicle as they become accustomed to working under driving conditions. Once this period is over, your vehicle should function within normal parameters. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Will J
Mazda North American Operations"

Man, oh man!!!
Talk about obfuscation!!!!
Some questions:
1. How long is the time period or mileage, and who or what determines this?
2. Become accustomed to working under driving conditions, is he kidding? I had no idea that components had personality attributes that required acclimations.
3. From whence come these components that they need to be acclimated?
4. What are the normal parameters?
5. Why should we voice our questions or concerns when we get this sort of inane response for users/clients/customers?

1. The manual says 600 miles. RTM
2. One example is that, during this time, the piston rings and cylinder walls wear on each other and create a better seal. In effect, they polish each other. I consistently get over 24 mpg on the road; others report a great deal less; at 600 miles, I had the oil changed to Mobil1, and I think the two events are related. Also, Mazda says that the engine control "learns" your driving style, and "adjusts" to it. RTM
3. Any parts manufacturer. In this case, Japan.
4. RTM
5. Because some of us can read and understand well-worded responses, and appreciate those who take the time to actually ask someone who would know, and those who take the time to respond. Additionally, many of us are not convinced that corporations have daily meetings on "how we gonna screw'em today?" Finally, some few of us actually RTM, cover to cover.

azcat said:
2. One example is that, during this time, the piston rings and cylinder walls wear on each other and create a better seal. In effect, they polish each other. I consistently get over 24 mpg on the road; others report a great deal less; at 600 miles, I had the oil changed to Mobil1, and I think the two events are related. Also, Mazda says that the engine control "learns" your driving style, and "adjusts" to it. RTM
4. RTM
5. Because some of us can read and understand well-worded responses, and appreciate those who take the time to actually ask someone who would know, and those who take the time to respond. Additionally, many of us are not convinced that corporations have daily meetings on "how we gonna screw'em today?" Finally, some few of us actually RTM, cover to cover.

2. I have 1400 miles on it and I can't break above 15mpg. It's a mix of highway and city and most of that city driving I baby it, I'm in manual mode keeping the revs below 2500 RPM. I haven't done my first oil change yet. Do you think Mobil 1 would make that big of a difference?

azcat said:
4. RTM

1. In response, let me say that I do RTM, and my dealer said about 1K which differs from TFM.
2. Additionally, there are moments when literalism can be taken too far, and yes, I too changed my oil at 1500 miles which is earlier than suggested in TFM.
3. It was a rhetorical and I had hoped a humorously sarcastic response to a question.
4. Ah yes, by definition "Normal Parameters" in a Para-normal world.
5. As for appreciating a well worded response; well, yes I do. But this particular reply from Mazda is similar in tone to others I have read which shed little or no light or direction in its response. Because some of us have less time to RTM cover to cover, and in addition to which, TFM is less than clear on many subjects, it is easier to query directly even if the answer if unclear.

Having said all of the above, I do value your opinion and what you often have to share in these forums.

nkabak said:
1. In response, let me say that I do RTM, and my dealer said about 1K which differs from TFM.
2. Additionally, there are moments when literalism can be taken too far, and yes, I too changed my oil at 1500 miles which is earlier than suggested in TFM.
3. It was a rhetorical and I had hoped a humorously sarcastic response to a question.
4. Ah yes, by definition "Normal Parameters" in a Para-normal world.
5. As for appreciating a well worded response; well, yes I do. But this particular reply from Mazda is similar in tone to others I have read which shed little or no light or direction in its response. Because some of us have less time to RTM cover to cover, and in addition to which, TFM is less than clear on many subjects, it is easier to query directly even if the answer if unclear.

Having said all of the above, I do value your opinion and what you often have to share in these forums.

I love you, too! (k)

AWmustang said:
2. I have 1400 miles on it and I can't break above 15mpg. It's a mix of highway and city and most of that city driving I baby it, I'm in manual mode keeping the revs below 2500 RPM. I haven't done my first oil change yet. Do you think Mobil 1 would make that big of a difference?

Yes, I think Mobil1 does make a difference, especially in turbos, because it doesn't break down as readily under the heat.

I never drive in manual mode. My around town mileage is 18-20, but "around town" for me is about two miles on city streets, 9 miles on the Interstate, and 16 miles on country two-lanes to get to work one-way. On long trips, it's 74 mph on the cruise, don't touch the brake or accelerator unless it's critical, and AC in the Econo mode.

Useless!

So the whole thing about the nav computer is useless because Itll only display "--" and plus we will loose the clock as predetermined?

Does anyone knows a feature I can activate which really works?

So the whole thing about the nav computer is useless because Itll only display "--" and plus we will loose the clock as predetermined?

Does anyone knows a feature I can activate which really works?

There's lots of features you can activate that really work.

There are 4 buttons on the drivers door (the front 2 have 3 orange lights) when the car is on you can press them and windows will open.

There is a stalk sticking out of the left side of the steering column, if you lift it up lights on the right side of your car will blink... and pressing it down makes lights on the left side of your car blink.

I could go on... but there's really way too many features to type them all up.

There's lots of features you can activate that really work.

There are 4 buttons on the drivers door (the front 2 have 3 orange lights) when the car is on you can press them and windows will open.

There is a stalk sticking out of the left side of the steering column, if you lift it up lights on the right side of your car will blink... and pressing it down makes lights on the left side of your car blink.

I could go on... but there's really way too many features to type them all up.

Yes and If you press the brake pedal often you wouldnt crash that much right?

Im just trying to get real tips, like activating the temp indicator, stuff like that

*Cough Cough* Well after we dust off this old tread, our '08 regular (non Bose) radio was able to do this function. It too is locked into the metric method of things and figured I would be one more for whom this worked. Now I will be searching for other "hidden" features of the base unit.

But you mean it really works?,

I have the base model 08, non bose stereo. The trip computer is working or is just showing dashes?

To be honest I got it "working" just sitting still. I did not have a chance to drive it to see if numbers showed up. If I sat there long enough, the zeros would turn to dashes. I am thinking it probably doesn't work.

Turn your radio on, turn the key off.
Hold FM/AM and CD button, while holding these buttons, turn the key to ACC.
Watch the display, it should say "DIS ON", as soon as you see this, turn the key to OFF, then start the car. Use the SET button to toggle through the options. Press the CLOCK button to get the clock back, now if only I could get it to display in MILES instead of Km!

You rock!! Just picked up a used 2007 CX-7 for the wifey today and this trip meter mod worked. Awesome. :)

Ok, I know this is an old thread and has been discussed endlessly at this and other forums, but I still haven't found a concrete answer to my question. I have bought a used 2008 CX-7 base model from US, no navigation, no Bose, no 6CD changer, no mp3, and I have unlocked the trip computer using the FM + CD method and got the DIS ON message. But, as many others, I can't get anything from that, and get only --/-- when toggling the "set" button.

I haven't yet tried disconnecting the battery (I bought the car a couple of weeks ago), and would like to know is there any way the trip computer can be activated on this model or not? Thanks in advance for answers of any kind...

Last edited:
seems like a lot of threads in this forum stay unanswered, had people already got defeated and no longer wanted to get a solution? This seems very interesting as in one comment mazda;s response was that "its not programmed on the computer" so maybe all hardware its there and only needs programming, maybe it will work with the versatuner? anyone? and I apologize for opening old threads but cant find answers to so many questions

Latest posts

Back