EMS solutions for the MSP

TurfBurn said:
forged internals, pandp head, pandp intake manifold, pandp exhaust mani, radiused exhaust valve seats, Ferrea exhaust valves (swirl polished/backcut), 5 angle intake valves, two injector rails, Microtech EMS, JandS Safeguard System, Bosch individual Coil Packs, balanced rods/crank/etc, and a good solid 25+ psi of boost with intercooler etc.... about an $8K project.

I'm doing about that much,but it's costing me around $10,000.and I don't have to pay for labor,exept for MPNick is doing my block,and a friend is doing my head for $400.
other than that all my money is in parts.
I'm not even paying for my intake,and exhaust mani's to get CNC,extrude ported

so be careful,this s*** adds up fast!

just so people know,you can't run any of these as a true standalone,unless you want to go without a speedo,and AC.

you need to keep the factory ECU in to run these

wicked said:
just so people know,you can't run any of these as a true standalone,unless you want to go without a speedo,and AC.

you need to keep the factory ECU in to run these

that is correct... but the motor will be standalone... that's the benefit there..

I'm also 100% on running etc... my bill sits at about 9.6K at this point. All assembly etc was done by me... but the machining was done by a shop locally that I work with through NSN.

Unichip update

Eric,
The PDA will be released in January; depending on the model kit that you purchase it may come PDA upgradeable. If not you will be able to trade in your Unichip directly back to the factory for an updated Unichip.
Best regards,
Joe Pucciarelli
National Sales Manager
Unichip of North America
2615 SE 39 Loop
Hillsboro OR 97123
joe@unichip.us
P 503 640 7465
F 503 214 6444
http://www.unichip.us/
http://www.unichip.us/Images/DynoDataAvailable_anim.gif

Hey I wanted to know out of all of these Engine Management systems which are the ones if any that are plug and play, and I mean by all means plug and play. I don't want to splice my wires at all to my ECU. Thats were it plugs into correct?

Thanks
VIck

the ones you plug in the OBD-II port? dont think any exist for the MSP or normal protege.

So unichip, MPI Tuner, Microtech, Haletech, Airflow Logistics AFC and the rest of the ones that are out, require to splice the wires to hook it up??

bump

Last edited:
Yes Unichip is Plug and Play and doesn't require tuning, although it can be tuned. I'm saving for a unichip now

JT

No....Just becaues it doesnt plug into the OBD II port does not mean it's not plug and play. Most any EMS for a late model import hooks up through the ECU.

Trucks are what use the OBD port for EMS's.

HorsepowerFreak said:
No....Just becaues it doesnt plug into the OBD II port does not mean it's not plug and play. Most any EMS for a late model import hooks up through the ECU.

Trucks are what use the OBD port for EMS's.

Not just trucks. On some of the newer OBDII cars and trucks you tune the stock EMS with the OBDII port.

HorsepowerFreak said:
Yeah, like a re-flash... But that's not an EMS.

As long as you can redo what the engine is doing under circumstances a system would fulfill what is needed to be an "EMS" of sorts one way or another...

Unichip has a harness that makes it 100% plug and play. The hardnest part of installing one of those is removing interior panels and running the line up for the boost controller.

I personally don't have experience w/ the other systems made for these cars.

But the UniChip apparently is not 100% successful in getting rid of fuel cut... and a number of people have had detonation issues and/or bucking problems. Since it's plug and play and they don't tune it, the problems can't be blamed elsewhere. I believe properly tuned and so forth it's not a bad system... and plug and play and OBDII is nice! :)

Might wanna add Megasquirt to this list, since a few members are starting to get their hands dirty with it. PM me if you want details.
-Mateo

The Emanage info is still totally wrong. It can alter timing, can be tuned with a laptop, and does NOT require the Profec E-01. Not that a really care, but other members might dismiss the Emanage based on these false facts.

yellerandahalf said:
Might wanna add Megasquirt to this list, since a few members are starting to get their hands dirty with it. PM me if you want details.
-Mateo

Bump...what's the Megasquirt your talkin about..details please

Back