Dragonballspeed Build (Finding an Identity)

I thought so. Don't forget there are people watching this build that deal with some serious cold for several months not days. Also ^that guy (JT, I believe) who has it worse than me.

Alright, let's just leave it as unmotivated then.

ya this was on the weekend when i washed the car/garage before swapping on my RPFs, i had the door open most of the day and it was a warm 45 in the garage when the sunshine was around.

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g414/Bikingpro5/winter 2013/IMG-20140322-00798_zpsb8c2d604.jpg
I wish i had warm temps for a good 80% of the year.

Last edited:
If you guys derail this epic thread with talks about weather I'm going to kill you both.

Larry don't want to die. So no more talking about weather here. It will be 50 and rainy tomorrow though, and I for one am looking forward to it.

did that plate slide into the trunk easily? also did you choose what rad is going to be used yet? Also Lady hands threat does not scare me since he wont drive over here to do anything about it..

did that plate slide into the trunk easily? also did you choose what rad is going to be used yet? Also Lady hands threat does not scare me since he wont drive over here to do anything about it..

"Did the plate slid in easily?" - That is a loaded question in my case. I have a basic blueprint that could easily be used for any Protege minus a little trimming here and there. For me, I cut a big amount of the rear panel out to allow for possible diffuser down the road. The OEM Stamped trunk piece has a lot of contours to work around so I had to figure out how to provide strength across the panel from left to right as well as tie it back in without completely refabricating the whole panel. This will be better explained once I show an overall picture of the back.

"Did I chose a radiator?" - Yes & No, I have 2 choices I am looking at, a radiator offered by Chase Bays for LS swapped 240, or a custom Ron David piece. Both would be approximately 25" x 13" x 3" I could also do a PGT OEM radiator to save time/money, but not really what I am after long term.

"Did the plate slid in easily?" - That is a loaded question in my case. I have a basic blueprint that could easily be used for any Protege minus a little trimming here and there. For me, I cut a big amount of the rear panel out to allow for possible diffuser down the road. The OEM Stamped trunk piece has a lot of contours to work around so I had to figure out how to provide strength across the panel from left to right as well as tie it back in without completely refabricating the whole panel. This will be better explained once I show an overall picture of the back.

"Did I chose a radiator?" - Yes & No, I have 2 choices I am looking at, a radiator offered by Chase Bays for LS swapped 240, or a custom Ron David piece. Both would be approximately 25" x 13" x 3" I could also do a PGT OEM radiator to save time/money, but not really what I am after long term.

i look forward to seeing how you finish the trunk, I'm debating adding a plate over my spare tire well to make the floor sit better since its just a huge hole back there now.

Got a little done this weekend. Trunk panel was bead rolled and trimmed to fit around cage foot plates. Now to tack it in.
progress%20(12).jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a spay can that closely matches the factory orange paint from the MSP. I have exhausted most of what I can find locally only to find that it is either too yellow or too red. As most know I am respraying the interior and engine bay so exact color match is not required, but anything that comes remotely close is helpful. I know there are a few places out there that make paints based off of paint code in a can. Just trying not to spend $25-50 a can.

So I thought I would reach out to the rest of you to see if anyone had found an Orange Spray Paint that came close? If you have found a similary color, plese supply a picture, manufacturer, and part #.

Thanks,

If I were you I'd just get the base coat mixed up (no flakes etc) , any proper paint supplier can mix the color code up.

do yourself a favor and go to a local autobody supply place and have them camera shot your car. or i should say a peice of it lol.
the code simply isnt enough with 12 year old tricoat lol.

quite a build.. looking good!

So the plug welds didnt go as planned, so I had to make some adjustments. Tell me what you guys think. Which looks better, the first version or my revision? 2 reasons I tried this route, 1 was bc I didn't like hiding my trunk/footplate brace, and 2 trying to minimize panel wrappage from the bead rolls. I'm still not sure, but might have to remake the panel again.

Thoughts?

progress%20(13).jpg

Last edited:
Quick update: Finally found enough time this weekend to remake the bead rolled trunk floor in 18ga sheet metal instead of the 22ga I originally used. It was welded in about every 2 inches, and a rectangular tube was welded in to finish out the rear sheet metal. Also made another set of inserts for the trunk brace that carried the bead rolled theme. However I'm a little undiecided which route I will go. Couple of pictures below.

image%20(1).jpg

Flat Inserts
image%20(2).jpg

Beaded inserts
image%20(3).jpg

Last edited:
Back