Do you have loud road noise?

Tedster

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
So how come the Protege's have so much road noise on the freeway?? It's not the tires I dont think. Just bad insulation or what? Have you guys done anything about it?
Thanks.

two words - "Economy Car"

mazda went light on the sound deadener to improve the car's weight

WHAT?!?!?!? I can't hear you over the road noise!

And depending on the tires, that makes a huge difference as well. My winter tires are much louder than my summer tires.

Yea, economy car it is. Sad sad. I hear if you do that sealing coat on the underside of the car, that helps??

put some sound dampening on your wheel wells and firewall. you'll notice a huge difference. especially the rear wheel well under the seat. I dunno, never pulled mine up yet in the speed, just remember my cav was loud till I did that. much nicer with sound dampening.

So can you buy the sound dampening or do you have to have someone do it? Is it like a foam thing?

1. buy two small yellow pieces of foam. about $0.99
2. insert in your ears
3. turn your stereo up

cheap and light. won't affect performance. buy the bright orange ones if you're into bling.

do you still have the original tires? the stock dunlops are super loud, especially at 60 mph. changed to nexens and now i can go 70-75 now. i think any tire that has a different tread pattern will be quieter.

This car "revs" way too high at highway speeds. This is without a doubt my biggest complaint about the Protege. Why this car was not geared differently or not given a 5th gear is beyond me.

Yes, I was referring to the automatic. I searched for a manual transmission, but they are hard to find. Either way, the automatic does rev way to high on the interstate.

Back