Damn speed limiter...

fastdrvr23 said:
Yeah, I've tried everything I can think of through mazda, and they won't do a damn thing. I guess I am going to have to get a damn chip for it... *Sigh* I was going to keep this truck stock in the beginning... oh well.

Hell, 110 ain't too bad... I bet that big ass truck will haul ass from a roll. :) Let me borrow a couple hundred ft/lbs. lol

My truck with run pretty damn well, but... unfortunately... I can hit the limiter at the top of 3rd gear. LOL

You'd think they'd at least cap you off at 100mph. Does your truck have the Ford Ranger Engine in it or does Mazda have a different engine now? I'd be curious to see what the top speed of a Ranger is if they both have the same Engine. Then maybe you could do an ECU swap.

Yeah 110 isn't bad for a big rig like I have. It has insane power from a roll. I was pulling on a Mustang GT with headers and exhaust the other night and was able to keep up with an F150 lightning on the highway. And the best thing about it is my MPG is always between 17 and 18. What sucks is when you nail it in 5th gear on a wet road and the back end starts hopping...I have to flip on the 4wd to get traction...LOL. I'm probably going to get a fueling box from TST once it is available. It supposedly adds 150HP and 400lb ft torque to the wheels. Then I'll be running a little more respectable 1/4's. Here's the link to this crazy chip http://www.tstproducts.com/powermaxcr.htm

mazdadan said:
You'd think they'd at least cap you off at 100mph. Does your truck have the Ford Ranger Engine in it or does Mazda have a different engine now? I'd be curious to see what the top speed of a Ranger is if they both have the same Engine. Then maybe you could do an ECU swap.

Yeah 110 isn't bad for a big rig like I have. It has insane power from a roll. I was pulling on a Mustang GT with headers and exhaust the other night and was able to keep up with an F150 lightning on the highway. And the best thing about it is my MPG is always between 17 and 18. What sucks is when you nail it in 5th gear on a wet road and the back end starts hopping...I have to flip on the 4wd to get traction...LOL. I'm probably going to get a fueling box from TST once it is available. It supposedly adds 150HP and 400lb ft torque to the wheels. Then I'll be running a little more respectable 1/4's. Here's the link to this crazy chip http://www.tstproducts.com/powermaxcr.htm

Yeah, it's the same exact thing with the ranger. I have the 4.0 SOHC that is in the Explorers, 208hp & 238ft/lbs, plenty of power to work with, except for the damn limiter. I drove a 2003 Ranger XLT 4wd with a 4.10 rear end, and it topped out ~85... What a bunch of krap...

Damn, I barely get 18MPG on the highway... lol

I'm probably gonna trade again here in a few months, I think I either need to get another P5, or another regular cab Chevy full size.

" ...adds...400lb ft torque to the wheels" Sheeeot, I can't even imagine. :)

Micah said:
yeah, you can disable the speed limiter

"UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A"

This will give you 30 extra HP, if you run out of HP you can continue with an additional 30 extra HP.

::grabs spread gun::
(rofl)

Last edited:
fastdrvr23 said:
Yeah, it's the same exact thing with the ranger. I have the 4.0 SOHC that is in the Explorers, 208hp & 238ft/lbs, plenty of power to work with, except for the damn limiter. I drove a 2003 Ranger XLT 4wd with a 4.10 rear end, and it topped out ~85... What a bunch of krap...

Damn, I barely get 18MPG on the highway... lol

I'm probably gonna trade again here in a few months, I think I either need to get another P5, or another regular cab Chevy full size.

" ...adds...400lb ft torque to the wheels" Sheeeot, I can't even imagine. :)

That really sucks with the limiter at such a low speed. At least a chip can remove it. I rode in a new Ranger and it seemed to have lots of power.

If you're looking for another full size truck you should also check out the Ram. If you can afford the gas, a regular cab Ram Hemi is pretty sweet. I went the Diesel route so I could get the 6spd manual and still have a turbo without using premium gas. The Hemi gets moving off the line quicker than my truck, but once I'm rolling that's another story!

thrlride said:
I wonder if the 6S can get to 140. Sure the speedo shows 150 but that takes lots of horsepower for those type of speeds. I just don't know if 220 hp is enough for 3200 lbs.
Obviously, with each gear you grab, the acceleration rate drops off a little, but the car is still pulling strong(IMHO) when it gets shut down. It's only around 5800-6000 rpm in 4th gear. I think it could get 140+ no problem, but 150 might be a stretch. Maybe not, who knows. I WOULD know if there was a chip or a way to defeat the damn limiter! AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

bcbadboy said:
120????
I hit 128 like a couple months ago racing a Focus SVT. I could have gone faster but we were coming up to tracffic so I had to slow down.
The Mazda6 is limited to 120 mph. It shuts the fuel off. Feels like you lifted off the throttle completely, and then comes back again once you drop down to like 115-118 mph. :rolleyes:

ummm...I dont know.. I was driving I-80 yesterday and my mp5 won't go beyond 100mph... :'(
I will try it again( maybe I was afraid of cops he he)

Highway Star said:
The Mazda6 is limited to 120 mph. It shuts the fuel off. Feels like you lifted off the throttle completely, and then comes back again once you drop down to like 115-118 mph.

My neon did the same thing, except it shut the entire engine off at 125. I guess dodges mentality was "YOU'RE GOING TO BLOW UP THE CAR!! IT'S ONLY A NEON FOR CHRISAKES!!!" but I could be wrong ;) Oh, and if you tried to start it while still moving, even with the car in neutral, it made this horrible squeaking/grinding noise. It only took me once to learn that one.

anarchistchiken said:
My neon did the same thing, except it shut the entire engine off at 125......

That's scary. What a stupid thing to do on their part. Take away your power steering and brakes @ 125 mph? What the hell were they thinking? :wtf:

Yeah, that seems dumb on dodges part. The screaching is your starter hitting the flywheel while it is spinning. I'm assuming you have to come to a complete stop to start the car again?

If the Mazda6 is similarly limited like a Civic, then to overcome that fuel cutoff limiter, all someone had to do was disconnect the single dashboard hookup to the engine.

Of course by doing that, you have no working dash so you don't know how fast you're going.

Well, you can always compare to another car...

I had a Pontiac 6000 V6 with a caberator, so no cut off, was doing around 220 to 240 km/h next to a 240Zx with a V6 in it too..

Course I was 17 then, and dumb, lickily nothing happened, was on the worst highway in the world, I-95 between Boca and Miami (took 20 min, normally 45).

I have had my neon upto 190 or so, but I let the other guy go faster (I30, like I had a chance..).

going fast is over-rated (yeah right, I agerave 150 Km/h, but it's not that fast..). It's going fast on the twisties, sliding through turns.. Love ralley....

Zoom-Zoom..

Don't want to read all the posts, but from an engineering standpoint, cars are speed-limited for their propshaft's resonance modes. Basically, if you go over 120 in the "right" way, you might end up with a propshaft coming up through into the passenger cabin or slamming the ground, both of which you probably don't want happening at 120+ mph.

So the short of it, you can find ways to go over 120 (because they do use a safety factor when determining the limit), but just know the risks.

emptystrings said:
Don't want to read all the posts, but from an engineering standpoint, cars are speed-limited for their propshaft's resonance modes. Basically, if you go over 120 in the "right" way, you might end up with a propshaft coming up through into the passenger cabin or slamming the ground, both of which you probably don't want happening at 120+ mph.

So the short of it, you can find ways to go over 120 (because they do use a safety factor when determining the limit), but just know the risks.
This is the best excuse/reason for the limiter that I have heard yet, it actually makes sense. If this is the case however, there must be a way around it eventually. There's plenty of cars out there that aren't limited because of this. Do they use a different type of shaft?, like a "Racing" shaft or whatever. I'd be willing to purchase such a thing if it meant that my car could reach it's potential without coming apart at the seams.

bcbadboy said:
120????
I hit 128 like a couple months ago racing a Focus SVT. I could have gone faster but we were coming up to tracffic so I had to slow down.

But you have a MSP, not a 6. :D

Micah said:
yeah, you can disable the speed limiter

"UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A"

This will give you 30 extra HP, if you run out of HP you can continue with an additional 30 extra HP.

::grabs spread gun::

hahaha.. up up down down left right left right b a select start .. wasn't that for Sega Genesis "CONTRA"

it will give your car more HP, all weapons and 99 lives .. so speed all you want!!

fkmp5 said:
hahaha.. up up down down left right left right b a select start .. wasn't that for Sega Genesis "CONTRA"

it will give your car more HP, all weapons and 99 lives .. so speed all you want!!

I don't know if it worked on any Sega Games, but I know it worked on alot of Konami games for the NES...

i got my Protege up to 51.4 m/s
j/k PeaB0dy confused me with all the km/h
~115 mph on Route 3 on my way back from Nashua.
( 1st MP3 and flat_black will know where i mean )

it had only two lanes but everyone seemed to be to the right so i said what the heh, slowed down due to upcoming traffic.
nice though, the dealership guy didn't fib to me.

Back