Dad took CX-5 at 56k miles in for routine maintenance and these were the recommended repairs

I would also keep in mind that there’s a regular maintenance and severe maintenance schedule. Pay attention to the fine print. I would assume most of us fall in the Schedule 2 maintenance (stop and go traffic, heavy braking, repeated short trips less than 10 miles). That calls for 5k mile oil changes and some other maintenance.

I think the mistake a lot of people make is just going with the bare minimum maintenance. I did the same with an Acura RSX and it eventually developed an oil burning issue and VTEC actuator repair.

We don’t put a lot of miles on our cars but they tend to be hard miles with short trips and not a lot of highway miles. So 5k oil change intervals mean very little financially when you’re putting 10k miles a year on a car.

Basically the dealer services are overkill but there is a middle ground where you shouldn’t completely neglect your car.

I always see people saying that "city driving" equals severe driving conditions. I don't think that's necessarily the case. This is how Mazda describes it:

 Repeated short-distance driving
 Driving in dusty conditions
 Driving with extended use of brakes
 Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are used
 Driving on rough or muddy roads
 Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation
 Driving for long periods in cold temperatures or extremely humid climates
 Driving in extremely hot conditions
 Driving in mountainous conditions continually

I think people think that normal occasional rush hour traffic counts as "Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation" but in the next section of the manual they break down what that means:

Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation such as police car, taxi or driving
school car

The manual kind of contradicts itself because before they list the conditions stated above they say to follow schedule 1 if the vehicle is operated MAINLY where none of those conditions apply. Ok, fair enough. But then below that list it states if ANY of those conditions apply then follow schedule 2. So which is it? Is it schedule 2 if I mainly idle a lot? Drive with extended use of brakes?

I have a Tacoma and the language used in that manual is much more clear. There’s a vagueness (to me) in the language here.

For me I follow schedule 2 since most of our driving is short trips, city, stop and go. And aside from oil changes there’s not a huge difference between the two schedules that I can see.

The manual kind of contradicts itself because before they list the conditions stated above they say to follow schedule 1 if the vehicle is operated MAINLY where none of those conditions apply. Ok, fair enough. But then below that list it states if ANY of those conditions apply then follow schedule 2. So which is it? Is it schedule 2 if I mainly idle a lot? Drive with extended use of brakes?

I have a Tacoma and the language used in that manual is much more clear. There’s a vagueness (to me) in the language here.

For me I follow schedule 2 since most of our driving is short trips, city, stop and go. And aside from oil changes there’s not a huge difference between the two schedules that I can see.

Typically, when I run into cases like these, I tend to err on the side of caution, especially for something like vehicle maintenance.

It wasnt always that way with Mazda-- I suspect the " vagueness " is a result of a few things -- Lawasuits , and spooning the dealers service on vehicles which are extremely well built, reliable and easy to maintain -

Back